• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

Totally agree with both of you.  My point was more about the GFS taking that CCB 150 miles east of where it was on its previous run.  It just seems a little on the extreme side.  But the RGEM shifted east a tad too with that feature at 18z, so maybe it's the start of a trend.  Hopefully the Euro stays on our side.

The good news is that the Euro had plenty of wiggle-room on the east side of the heaviest banding. The bad news is we're still well over 24 hours from when that band is progged to develop. With this storm, that's enough time for two or three reversals of trends. :)

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good news is that the Euro had plenty of wiggle-room on the east side of the heaviest banding. The bad news is we're still well over 24 hours from when that band is progged to develop. With this storm, that's enough time for two or three reversals of trends. :)

Yeah, a shift of 25-35 miles would actually be ideal, assuming the band develops as progged.  What's your best guess for the front end stuff?  5-10"?

Heres a little snippet from LWX.. :)

A COMPARISON OF 12Z/18Z RAOBS TO INITIALIZATION OF THE 12Z MODELS
AND THEIR 6-H FORECASTS INDICATE THE GFS/NAM WERE TOO FLAT WITH THE
LOW-LEVEL THERMAL TROUGH ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE APPALACHIANS AND
DOWNSTREAM THERMAL RIDGE TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST COAST. SATELLITE WATER
VAPOR LOOP INDICATED THE NRN STREAM SHORTWAVE TROUGH WAS ALREADY
CLOSING OVER ERN NE-KS...WHICH WAS EARLIER/FASTER THAN MOST OF THE
12Z GUIDANCE HAD INDICATED. THESE ERRORS PROVIDE EVIDENCE TOWARD A
MORE WESTWARD TRACK OF THE COASTAL LOW...CLOSER TO THE PAST FEW RUNS
OF THE ECMWF.

Yeah, a shift of 25-35 miles would actually be ideal, assuming the band develops as progged.  What's your best guess for the front end stuff?  5-10"?

Sounds right to me. I think most of the large-scale precip will be relatively weak by the time it gets to us as opposed to the immediate burbs. It's probably a race to get as much down from the WAA stuff before the occlusion cuts it off.  If we were relying on the front-end snows, I would want to be south of I-84 but we could easily do 6-8" up here in the MHV.

Sounds right to me. I think most of the large-scale precip will be relatively weak by the time it gets to us as opposed to the immediate burbs. It's probably a race to get as much down from the WAA stuff before the occlusion cuts it off.  If we were relying on the front-end snows, I would want to be south of I-84 but we could easily do 6-8" up here in the MHV.

I think we do fine with the WAA given the strength and scope of the system, and hints of a more westward track should give us high confidence here in the MHV.

Very impressive squall line moving through Florida.  Several severe thunderstorm warnings, at least one tornado has been reported.  Miami and Key West radars are lighting up.

Meanwhile, heavy snow in North Carolina, looks like Atlanta from 2 weeks ago.  Check out this twitter pic from I-70:

BgT-KkhIMAAbwcN.png

Why don't the public authorities ever learn from previous experiences?

Hello gents- just got home from a rare day of actually going to the office down in NJ - usually I just work from home, which is a perk of being an IT guy I guess lol

Trying to catch up on the latest - sounds like we are looking pretty good, no?

The sky has that snowy look and feel to it. Hoping we all get blasted.

Hello gents- just got home from a rare day of actually going to the office down in NJ - usually I just work from home, which is a perk of being an IT guy I guess lol

Trying to catch up on the latest - sounds like we are looking pretty good, no?

The sky has that snowy look and feel to it. Hoping we all get blasted.

Things look very positive for the Hudson Valley.  I'm an IT guy also .. since when do we get perks? ;) 

Things look very positive for the Hudson Valley. I'm an IT guy also .. since when do we get perks? ;)

Excellent - good to hear we are looking good up here for once on a big storm.

Lol- you're an IT guy too huh? Guess the working from home part and the fact I get 32 vacation days are as good as I can hope for these days in regards to perks.

About 15 yrs ago I sold my half of a construction business I was partners in to go check out the corporate world after I got hooked on computers.

It's definitely changed a lot - what type of IT work do you do? I'm in the security sector- always interesting stuff going on.

Excellent - good to hear we are looking good up here for once on a big storm.

Lol- you're an IT guy too huh? Guess the working from home part and the fact I get 32 vacation days are as good as I can hope for these days in regards to perks.

About 15 yrs ago I sold my half of a construction business I was partners in to go check out the corporate world after I got hooked on computers.

It's definitely changed a lot - what type of IT work do you do? I'm in the security sector- always interesting stuff going on.

I agree on the storm , normally with a coastal I'm really on the outer fringe so this one has me pumped. Working from home is a nice perk I suppose .. I'll be doing that tomorrow and possibly Friday. I'm in the healthcare IT world for a large medical practice that's in Orange & Sullivan county, pretty exciting to be honest since there is always something new going on. Security seems like a fun spot to be also , wow 32 days huh. I was thinking my 4 weeks was nice heh

I agree on the storm , normally with a coastal I'm really on the outer fringe so this one has me pumped. Working from home is a nice perk I suppose .. I'll be doing that tomorrow and possibly Friday. I'm in the healthcare IT world for a large medical practice that's in Orange & Sullivan county, pretty exciting to be honest since there is always something new going on.

Oh that's cool that your job is local at least. If I had to commute to my office every day I would hang myself - route 17 all the way to the end - sucks! I'm with a huge healthcare company down there- it's 45000 emp's here in the states and scattered in other countries. They just outsourced a majority of our IT depts. - nature of the beast these days. But I'm in a fortunate spot for now.

Heres a little snippet from LWX.. :)

A COMPARISON OF 12Z/18Z RAOBS TO INITIALIZATION OF THE 12Z MODELS

AND THEIR 6-H FORECASTS INDICATE THE GFS/NAM WERE TOO FLAT WITH THE

LOW-LEVEL THERMAL TROUGH ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE APPALACHIANS AND

DOWNSTREAM THERMAL RIDGE TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST COAST. SATELLITE WATER

VAPOR LOOP INDICATED THE NRN STREAM SHORTWAVE TROUGH WAS ALREADY

CLOSING OVER ERN NE-KS...WHICH WAS EARLIER/FASTER THAN MOST OF THE

12Z GUIDANCE HAD INDICATED. THESE ERRORS PROVIDE EVIDENCE TOWARD A

MORE WESTWARD TRACK OF THE COASTAL LOW...CLOSER TO THE PAST FEW RUNS

OF THE ECMWF.

Nice find.

Guest Patrick

Hey folks,

Impressive to see how much our little group of N/W junkies has grown over the past year.  I think we are all in for a plastering up this way... 12-18"....and one of us jackpots at 24.  Good luck all, this looks liek a beast on radar already!

Hey folks,

Impressive to see how much our little group of N/W junkies has grown over the past year.  I think we are all in for a plastering up this way... 12-18"....and one of us jackpots at 24.  Good luck all, this looks liek a beast on radar already!

Good evening Patrick, One of the reasons I moved up here was for these types of storms.

We should do well.

Hey folks,

Impressive to see how much our little group of N/W junkies has grown over the past year. I think we are all in for a plastering up this way... 12-18"....and one of us jackpots at 24. Good luck all, this looks liek a beast on radar already!

I got the atv reedy to go- of course I don't quite know where I will put it all with those amounts. But it will be a nice problem to have.

I say whoever jackpots has to buy the first round of beers! Lol

Guest Patrick

Hey Matt -

Ditto that... if i'm not mistaken this might be the first "true n&w of the big cities" storms since we moved up here!  Good luck man, hope you get the jackpot numbers!  Loaded up on pellets, beverages, and stuff for the kids to do.

Patrick

Good evening Patrick, One of the reasons I moved up here was for these types of storms.

We should do well.

Rookies ;)

Lol- yeah we have had some good ones up here for sure.

I still remember several years back when we had about 10 inches on the ground in March and then got hit with about 32 inches here in Monroe - it was epic except for the fact it was march. Would have been nice to keep that kind of snow pack in the dead of winter.

Looking forward to this one now!

Very impressive squall line moving through Florida.  Several severe thunderstorm warnings, at least one tornado has been reported.  Miami and Key West radars are lighting up.

Meanwhile, heavy snow in North Carolina, looks like Atlanta from 2 weeks ago.  Check out this twitter pic from I-70:

BgT-KkhIMAAbwcN.png

Why don't the public authorities ever learn from previous experiences?

That's what happens down there after a coating to an inch.

Hey folks,

I am soooo lost in finding a forum for this storm.  I'm in Litchfield County.  NYC forum rarely applies.  New England forum rarely applies.  I think for this storm, you guys are closest.  So here I am.

I am soooo lost in finding a forum for this storm.  I'm in Litchfield County.  NYC forum rarely applies.  New England forum rarely applies.  I think for this storm, you guys are closest.  So here I am.

You'll do real well if the NAM is right. As far as I'm concerned you're just as much a part of this thread's envelope as I am here in Dutchess Co.

I'm trying to decide if I should go to bed early so I am up at sunrise to see the heavy snow materialize.  I'll probably hang in until around midnight since I'm so excited and probably won't sleep.    Some forecasts have  mixing and rain all the way up here but I can't see plain rain making it here.

Beer/wine store was packed around 8PM -  people are hunkering down.  I also noticed lines at the gas stations on route 23.

I'm trying to decide if I should go to bed early so I am up at sunrise to see the heavy snow materialize.  I'll probably hang in until around midnight since I'm so excited and probably won't sleep.    Some forecasts have  mixing and rain all the way up here but I can't see plain rain making it here.

Beer/wine store was packed around 8PM -  people are hunkering down.  I also noticed lines at the gas stations on route 23.

if we mix, it would only be 1-2 hours

Archived