Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emotional roller coaster the past few guidance cycles. Really just would love to see 12"... haven't had a foot from a single storm since October 2011. I thought it was a lock this afternoon but who knows.

-3F/-8F at the moment.

For a bit of comic relief... saw this on facebook and thought it was funny.

post-3401-0-88033000-1392180772_thumb.jp

Emotional roller coaster the past few guidance cycles. Really just would love to see 12"... haven't had a foot from a single storm since October 2011. I thought it was a lock this afternoon but who knows.

-3F/-8F at the moment.

attachicon.gifkeepcalm.jpg

That's great!  How much did you have from the storm last week?  We ended up at 11".

Down to 3 degrees here.  Just flooded my rink outside and the cracking was intense.  Probably should have skipped it tonight, honestly didn't realize it was so cold.  I had my best ice of the year (aside from day 1) after flooding the rink on Sunday after the snow.  Temperatures must have been perfect that night. 

Might try and hold out for the Euro.  Don't know what to expect at this point.

-3F/-8F at the moment.

keepcalm.jpg

Seriously - I don't think I've ever invested so much time following model threads. It's less stressful to go to AC and gamble at the tables lol

It's almost better to be oblivious and just wait to see what happens when you think of how much time you can spend hanging on every model run.

One minute we can get a foot or more and the next we only get a few inches. Brutal hobby!

That's great!  How much did you have from the storm last week?  We ended up at 11".

Down to 3 degrees here.  Just flooded my rink outside and the cracking was intense.  Probably should have skipped it tonight, honestly didn't realize it was so cold.  I had my best ice of the year (aside from day 1) after flooding the rink on Sunday after the snow.  Temperatures must have been perfect that night. 

Might try and hold out for the Euro.  Don't know what to expect at this point.

Heh, I have a pond in my yard that I use for my skating needs. Granted, I only had a few days of good skating weather after shoveling and "resurfacing" (that was quite the task), and even then it was sketchy. Would love to have a legitimate rink.

We'll know in just about an hour what the Euro has in store. Couple episodes on Netflix and that should get me there. :) I clocked in at 9.6" for last week's storm.

-3F/-8F at the moment.

attachicon.gifkeepcalm.jpg

Good one...yes the 12" mark has been a barrier that has been difficult to reach around here also. Hoping we can finally crash through that in the upcoming storm but it will be tough. I wouldn't doubt it though, looking at the RGEM it seems we flip to sleet then back to heavy snow Thursday evening in a deformation band. If that happens look out.

Hahaa...yeah the 12" mark has been a barrier that has been difficult to reach around here also. Hoping we can finally crash through that in the upcoming storm but it will be tough.

It's a huge, likely sub-985 mb low passing well inside of the 40/70 benchmark in the first two weeks of February. 36 hours before go time, lows will be 0 to -15. You'd think we could buy a decent snowstorm with those initial conditions, wouldn't you?

It's a huge, likely sub-985 mb low passing well inside of the 40/70 benchmark in the first two weeks of February. 36 hours before go time, lows will be 0 to -15. You'd think we could buy a decent snowstorm with those initial conditions, wouldn't you?

Im at 7F right now up from a previous low of 4. Possibly going on the third consecutive night of subzero temps. Amazing for February really.

Well the Euro says congrats Allentown to Albany. Surface low is about 35 miles east of 12z, but not insignificantly stronger. Snow starts 12z Thursday while the low is over the NC coastal plane. 983 mb low crosses the southern Delmarva and kind of strings out/reforms NE toward the Cape as isentropic precip transitions to ccb dynamics. 6z Friday, a huge band of snow sets up from eastern Pennsylvania through the upper HV. Starts pulling away and weakening 12z on Friday as the 974 mb low nestles into the Gulf of Maine. Wxbell snowmap prints out about a foot for most everybody (even 10" for NYC) with higher amounts as you go toward Sullivan, Passaic, and Pike counties.

At least there's still room for continued eastward nudging, if you believe the Euro.

Couple more inches on Saturday too it looks like.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
344 AM EST WED FEB 12 2014

NYZ062-PAZ048-130845-
/O.UPG.KBGM.WS.A.0003.140213T1200Z-140214T1100Z/
/O.NEW.KBGM.WS.W.0003.140213T1200Z-140214T1100Z/
SULLIVAN-PIKE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MONTICELLO...MILFORD
344 AM EST WED FEB 12 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THURSDAY TO 6 AM EST
FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THURSDAY
TO 6 AM EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...PIKE COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA AND SULLIVAN COUNTY NEW YORK.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW. A LIGHT COATING OF ICE ALSO POSSIBLE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW. LESS THAN A TENTH OF AN
INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...THURSDAY THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...NEAR 30 THURSDAY...FALLING THROUGH 20S THURSDAY NIGHT.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST TO NORTHWEST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BECOME VERY DIFFICULT FROM SNOW COVERED ROADS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL
VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

PLEASE REPORT SNOWFALL AND/OR ICE AMOUNTS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE AT 1-877-633-6772...OR BY EMAIL AT
[email protected].

&&

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM EST FRIDAY ...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW ...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS ...ORANGE ...PUTNAM ...ROCKLAND ...NORTHERN WESTCHESTER.

* HAZARD TYPES ...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS ...10 TO 14 INCHES.

* WINDS ...NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES ...IN THE MID 20S.

* VISIBILITIES ...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TIMING ...SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE DURING THE DAY THURSDAY BEFORE TAPERING OFF THURSDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS ...SNOWFALL WILL MAKE TRAVEL TREACHEROUS. IN ADDITION ...HEAVY ...WET SNOW MAY CAUSE SOME WEAK ...FLAT ROOF STRUCTURES TO COLLAPSE AND TREES WILL BE SUSCEPTIBLE TO FALLING.

Archived