• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Atlantic Tropical Action 2013 - Part 2

If nothing else forms, the 2013 ACE is at 28. 

That would put it at a tie with 1972 for the 3rd lowest since 1950.   The two lower years were 1977  had 25 and 1983 had 17.  1982 is the only other year with only 2 hurricanes

1994 had 2 hurricanes in November, so the season is not over yet, even though I gave up hope a long time ago. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulated_cyclone_energy

Pretty remarkable this year considering that we didn't have an -AMO or El Nino like the other very low ACE years.

The dry and more stable conditions  dominated the whole pattern rather than just interfering like we have

seen in recent years. It was like someone flipped a switch after the 2005 hyperactive season.The 06-13

8 season ACE dropped to 799 from a previous 8 season level of 1308 during 98-05.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E23.html

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E11.html

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It feels like I missed a funeral in here.  Who would have thought that in mid October we'd be sitting at 11-2-0 for the season with the strongest storm at 980mb and 75 knots, and with no hope in sight for anything big.  Our ACE stands at 26.93, and less than 15% of ACE remains on average.  We may not hit 30.  Just crazy.

If nothing else forms, the 2013 ACE is at 28. 

That would put it at a tie with 1972 for the 3rd lowest since 1950.   The two lower years were 1977  had 25 and 1983 had 17.  1982 is the only other year with only 2 hurricanes

1994 had 2 hurricanes in November, so the season is not over yet, even though I gave up hope a long time ago. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulated_cyclone_energy

I wonder where Wikipedia gets their ACE numbers from. I use Ryan Maue's site, which gave me 27 (26.93).

Regardless, an ace of 27 or 28 with 11 NS would yield a "record" or unprecedented low in ACE/NS ratio since 1950.

Time to pull the pin and let this thread sink...

Interesting timing on this comment. The 12Z gfs hits N. Belize on 11/2 with a solid TC. This is Josh territory. Never mind that that is at hour 312 lol and has virtually no chance of verifying closely. ;)

I don't that anyone would have taken the bet that we would go close to 3000 days

without an official major hurricane landfall since Wilma in 2005. Just goes to show

that we didn't need an actual major hurricane for very serious damage to occur 

as we saw with Ike and Sandy.

Interesting timing on this comment. The 12Z gfs hits N. Belize on 11/2 with a solid TC. This is Josh territory. Never mind that that is at hour 312 lol and has virtually no chance of verifying closely. ;)

MJO will swing back our way, though in a weak state. Wouldn't be surprised if we get some activity in the western Caribbean during early November. Some GEFS members are already showing this possibility.

CX4lQbE.png

MJO will swing back our way, though in a weak state. Wouldn't be surprised if we get some activity in the western Caribbean during early November. Some GEFS members are already showing this possibility.

Interesting,  I usually consider 31 Oct as the end of any possibility of sexy action, but hey, maybe this year will surprise us.

6Z 10/20 Sun GFS suggested a Yucatan (MX) hit on 11/5 with a fairly weak but strengthening TC

12Z 10/20 Sun GFS hits N. Belize with a solid TC on 11/2

18Z 10/20 Sun GFS hits NE Honduras with a hurricane on 11/5

0Z 10/21 Mon GFS hits Yucatan (MX) with a fairly weak TC on 11/2-3

6Z 10/20 Sun GFS suggested a Yucatan (MX) hit on 11/5 with a fairly weak but strengthening TC

12Z 10/20 Sun GFS hits N. Belize with a solid TC on 11/2

18Z 10/20 Sun GFS hits NE Honduras with a hurricane on 11/5

0Z 10/21 Mon GFS hits Yucatan (MX) with a fairly weak TC

It seems as though the 6z and 18z say November 5th landfall while the 0z and 12z show landfall on November 2nd and not as any surprise it has landfall all over the map but if it keeps showing up in later week runs then we may get a more general idea on that, and its output seems to coincide well with the modeled MJO

No cat 2's for this season looks like it's within reach. Did 1968 get an upgrade to

one cat 2 with Gladys reanalysis?

They haven't gotten to 1968 yet. Gladys has always been considered a Cat-2 landfall for FL on the official landfall list, even though HURDAT only shows Cat-1 winds. Such discrepancies are common in the pre-reanalyzed years-- and it'll be interesting to see how they reconcile that.

They haven't gotten to 1968 yet. Gladys has always been considered a Cat 2 landfall for FL on the official landfall list, even though HURDAT only shows Cat-1 winds. Such discrepancies are common in the pre-reanalyzed years-- and it'll be interesting to see how they reconcile that.

Interesting. This season is so bizarrely quiet considering that 1997 was able to swing a major even with s super Nino revving up.

You know what?  You guys suck and so does the thread title.  I care about Lorenzo.

I'm calling it now: Lorenzo reaches hurricane status, polymerizes with a cold front and destroys England.  And then there will be a movie made about said meteorological event starring, I guess, Hugh Grant or something.

This thread jumped the shark about a month ago. Out of respect, it should probably be unpinned and allowed to sink deep into the sea. 

I said that a couple of days ago, then an hour 324 18Z GFS or something showed a cyclone in the Caribbean, than Lorenzo added to a season that will probably have a record low ACE per named storm.

I still say unpin it, and if Monday's 18Z GFS or whatever is right, this thread probably won't have sunk off page 1 of the threads by then.

Archived