Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Atlantic Tropical Action 2013 - Part 2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a serious question as I have been busy with a lot of non-weather things over the last week that have distracted my attention.  How have the global models done handling the genesis in the EPac associated with the MJO enhancement in that basin, e.g. Ivo, Juliette, Kiko?

By my subjective point of view... they have done decent. Most of the models picked up on Ivo pretty early on and had the correct evolution. Juliette and Kiko developed out of the same feature (monsoon gyre/trough). If anything they were too aggressive with genesis of this feature into a robust and strong TC. Instead it remained pretty broad and spawned multiple TCs but on the weak side as they propagated on the southern and eastern periphery of the mean circulation.  

This is a serious question as I have been busy with a lot of non-weather things over the last week that have distracted my attention.  How have the global models done handling the genesis in the EPac associated with the MJO enhancement in that basin, e.g. Ivo, Juliette, Kiko?

both models handled those genesis events well

Despite the uptick in support of genesis from the GFDL and HWRF, I'd much rather see a global model not named in the CMC come on board as well. 

If this becomes a TC (and I suspect it will) I hope people don't see it as some sort of validation of the CMC as useful. If one believed the CMC this should already be a strong hurricane a good distance northeast of the Carribiean.

Any primitive model filled with boguscanes is going to be the the "first" to show a TC now (as someone earlier mentioned about Sanddy)  and then by dumb luck.   If the main criteria was not to miss tropical cyclogenesis then we should abandon the GFS and run the AVN/MRF from the late 90s, because it didn't miss anything (as long as you could stand every single wave becoming a TC.)

Also, the rare occasions where CMC happens to have the best track forcecast (and this will be sporadically, for a couple of runs) are again simply the result of having a poor-quality model running every 12 hours spitting out tracks - by dumb luck one of those runs will happen to be more accurate at a few forecast periods than useful models.

As long as it appears tied to a trough, with Westerly winds South of that trough about 10 degrees of latitude wide, I think development will be slowed.

I see what may be arcus clouds well North of it, but the NHC mention of dry air, I think it'll moisten up the atmosphere as long as showers and storms keep firing, and it is pushing cirrus ahead of itself on the South side, but I still think this could be Pacific-ish, where until it becomes distinct from a monsoon trough like feature, it'll have a hard time organizing.

Slow development isn't all bad, unless it never develops at all, GFS shows Eastern trough axis as rather progressive, the farther West 97L comes before being a deeper system, the better the chance it misses that trough and becomes chaseable.  If it develops.  HWRF may not be right for several reasons, but it is obvious a path along the Cuban coast is why it doesn't have 97L as a significant storm.  Has to develop, but avoid a trough moving through the East Coast, and avoid significant land interaction, quite the gauntlet, but if it does that, over 7 years, 10 months since a Florida hurricane.

Convection looks to really be drifting southeastward recently towards where CIMSS has the greatest LL convergence.  This suggests that the system has not yet developed any substantial inflow at the low levels, so convection is just following environmentally-favored regions within the environment.  We're really going to want to see convection fire up again much closer to the LL vorticity maximum if we want to see 97L have a shot at developing.

Still looks like an enhanced area of vorticity on the end of a low level trough on CMSS 850 and 700 mb analysis.  Also entering an area of accelerating low level flow, which is divergent and not favorable for development.  Maybe in about 3 days when the flow starts slowing/becomes somewhat convergent.  Probably not before then.

post-138-0-69799900-1378094017_thumb.gif

post-138-0-66314400-1378094031_thumb.gif

Because the LGEM/SHIPS are statistical models, they don't see the physical processes that will hinder organization (like misalignment of mid/low-level vorticity, etc.). They use some regression on some physical parameters but it's an incomplete picture of what's going on.

Trust the globals.

The statistical models still out-perform the dynamical models once you have a storm.  Right now, they're still running SHIPS and LGEM for a 30 kt invest where the statistics have been run for all 30 kt TDs, so they aren't much use right now. 

I wouldn't really trust the statistical or the dynamical models.  They're just tools that can either be used correctly or used incorrectly.  But in this situation, I agree, the global most likely have a better handle of the system. 

Sort of untested, but 18Z FIM-9 combines 97L with wave behind it into one disturbance, a 35-40 knot TS that was heading Northwest, but heights starting to build ahead of at hour 168, maybe to turn it back across the Gulf Stream and towards Florida.

Trying to keep positive thoughts.  The concept of the wave right behind it competing has also shown up on some GFS and even Euro runs the last couple of days.

post-138-0-06698700-1378096130_thumb.png

GFS has a closed low that sort of spontaneously develops behind 97L and goes N of the Carribean

It hasn't just been the GFS doing it.  Two runs of the Euro also show more love for the disturbance behind 97L.

Edit

NHC disco

TROPICAL WAVE IN THE CENTRAL TROPICAL ATLC EXTENDS FROM 18N46W

TO A 1011 MB LOW NEAR 11N48W MOVING W NEAR 10 KT. WAVE IS

EMBEDDED WITHIN A SURGE OF DEEP MOISTURE AS DEPICTED ON THE

TOTAL PRECIPITABLE WATER IMAGERY. SCATTERED CLUSTERS OF

SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION ARE FROM 10N-15N BETWEEN 43W-50W.

Archived