Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe Wx & Flood Threat Through Tuesday

weatherwiz

69/67 - Thunder with light rain.

Never got a chance to clear out from the fog and low clouds this morning before the storms began.  

Going on the 4th hour of continuous thunder.  Strongest storm in terms of rain, thunder and lightning was between 2pm and 2:45.  Had about 5 individual storms roll through from about Noon through 4:30.

Total rainfall since Noon is 1.78  Peak wind was during the 2pm storm of 17mph from the West.  No hail at this location. 

Hearing of flooded roads in the southern part of town as well as the Misquamicut area. 

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought today was a huge success. If the metric is "a severe thunderstorm at my house" than you're going to be disappointed often... even if you live in Oklahoma. Impressive thunderstorms and hail across Long Island, SE CT, and Rhode Island. Pretty much an AWT in terms of areas and threats. 

Parents had quarter size hail at their place in Barrington. Never in the 20 some odd years I was growing up there of course. :underthewx:

I'm not picking on you paul I'm frustrated with today we usually see 1-3 eastern sne threats like this and today was a mega fail.

But cell to my sw randomly showing hope on a line for me. Ill take it

:lol:  I know.  

Convection just really isn't for everyone...it's very difficult to get into and follow b/c so many times much of the action, or the better action occurs where you aren't.  It is hard to keep emotions in check though.  I mean, if it wasn't for going to NY with my friend during our annual two week chase and seeing hail/damaging winds I would have seen virtually nothing this year.  IMBY, it has been God awful.  Although Saturday night was sweet.

As far as today goes though, it went fairly well overall.  The areas hit where the areas favored and there really weren't any surprises.  

That's pretty nice right there.

My mom wouldn't run outside and grab a hail stone for a picture though. I need to train them a little better.

I finally realized after a few years that my mom doesn't actually go outside with a ruler to the appropriate snow measuring spot. It's more... yeah... looks like 4". 

I think the area that we highlighted got hit, but I didn't think it would be more s coast. Turned out that's where the real Dewpoint front was and best instability.

It can be a mess trying to pinpoint that exact axis where the dewpoint front or best moisture pooling will setup...and to make matters even more difficult, trying to do that and determine if that will occur within the best instability/shear axis.  Although I guess where you have the higher dewpoints and higher moisture content, that's probably going to be the area of higher instability...that is when you're dealing with cloud shields.  

Archived