Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Wx & Flood Threat Through Tuesday

weatherwiz

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Capes infrastructure is on par with CT, man he loses power a lot

Yeah but lightning is lightning. Not much you can do. Cape Cod can handle winds exponentially better than CT. They don't have the trees looming over wires like CT does. Part of the reason is that trees aren't always 100' tall like they are elsewhere. Wind keeps them in check.

Yeah but lightning is lightning. Not much you can do. Cape Cod can handle winds exponentially better than CT. They don't have the trees looming over wires like CT does. Part of the reason is that trees aren't always 100' tall like they are elsewhere. Wind keeps them in check.

Lots of flooding out there tonight

FYI - wrote up a blog post on today's hail in NL County if anyone's interested

http://ryanhanrahan.com/2013/09/03/new-london-county-hailstorm/

Nice write up. I was on the raid, but didn't realize they had some mid level rotation. I always wondered if steep lapse rates aloft help accelerate an updraft and thus tighten and induce rotation there.

Nice write up. I was on the raid, but didn't realize they had some mid level rotation. I always wondered if steep lapse rates aloft help accelerate an updraft and thus tighten and induce rotation there.

The steep lapse rates can help fatten CAPE and yield a stronger updraft... so it makes sense that tilting horizontal vorticity into the vertical can occur more easily with a more robust updraft. I think more importantly the fat CAPE profile (rather than those ugly crappy lapse rate skinny CAPE profiles) produces a strong enough updraft that strong vertical shear (40+ knots 0-6km vector difference today) isn't detrimental to the storm organization.

The steep lapse rates can help fatten CAPE and yield a stronger updraft... so it makes sense that tilting horizontal vorticity into the vertical can occur more easily with a more robust updraft. I think more importantly the fat CAPE profile (rather than those ugly crappy lapse rate skinny CAPE profiles) produces a strong enough updraft that strong vertical shear (40+ knots 0-6km vector difference today) isn't detrimental to the storm organization.

Yep, all of the above too. Pressure perturbations FTW.

Hey Ginx - do you happen to remember a severe storm on Memorial Day weekend 1969?

http://ryanhanrahan.com/2013/09/04/the-giant-1969-memorial-day-weekend-thunderstorm/

As usual - Boston was shivering on the wrong side of a backdoor front lol

Did that link work for the sounding? I do not specifically remember that event, I was twelve. I do know that every year we as a family had a memorial Day weekend trip to Burlingame in RI and one year tremendous TSTORMS wrecked the campground, could have been that year. Cool stuff you dug up.

Also I do remember as a kid collecting hail stones the size of 1/2 dollars and freezing them. I also cut them in half and learned about updrafts and tumbling action from my science teacher Mr Cole when I brought them to school, 6 th grade so maybe it was that day. Damn you set off a chain reaction of memories lol

Did that link work for the sounding? I do not specifically remember that event, I was twelve. I do know that every year we as a family had a memorial Day weekend trip to Burlingame in RI and one year tremendous TSTORMS wrecked the campground, could have been that year. Cool stuff you dug up.

It did! The soundings then (at least what is archived) only contain a few mandatory levels so you can't get a lot of information off them.... BUT... I did get a text read out with 500mb and 700mb heights and temperatures and was able to do a lapse rate calculation. 7.9 C/KM at JFK - not too shabby.

The storms would have been around 10 p.m. or maybe even later. Seems like all of the action was east of the Connecticut River. 

Also I do remember as a kid collecting hail stones the size of 1/2 dollars and freezing them. I also cut them in half and learned about updrafts and tumbling action from my science teacher Mr Cole when I brought them to school, 6 th grade so maybe it was that day. Damn you set off a chain reaction of memories lol

I bet the museum has scrolls about that as well as soil cores.

lol

Very late May through mid June have a nice uptick in siggy severe around here. Probably not a coincidence.

Seems like it's a favored time for some EML advection and climatologically we're able to flex some good ridging in here from the southwest that keeps our flow active/strong before the jet retreats too far north. 

Seems like it's a favored time for some EML advection and climatologically we're able to flex some good ridging in here from the southwest that keeps our flow active/strong before the jet retreats too far north. 

It's good to keep the winter chill around too at 500mb. Takes a lot of time to warm upstairs.

I miss the 90s and early 2000s. For some reason, that was a good period for severe even in ern ma. I can't recall a summer this dull for tstms locally. I mean beyond dull.

It's good to keep the winter chill around too at 500mb. Takes a lot of time to warm upstairs.

I miss the 90s and early 2000s. For some reason, that was a good period for severe even in ern ma. I can't recall a summer this dull for tstms locally. I mean beyond dull.

This summer has been pretty lame. Here in CT we've had a few flood and severe convection events that have kept us busy but overall - very meh. 

Archived