Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Wx & Flood Threat Through Tuesday

weatherwiz

FYI - wrote up a blog post on today's hail in NL County if anyone's interested

http://ryanhanrahan.com/2013/09/03/new-london-county-hailstorm/

Nice writeup Ryan.  Good explanation about the KDP as well.  I would guess that in the KDP spike it was mostly heavy oblate rain with a handful of stray (wet) hailstones while the low region was the primary hailcore.  

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This summer has been pretty lame. Here in CT we've had a few flood and severe convection events that have kept us busy but overall - very meh. 

I do appreciate a good storm as much as anyone, but it's been a rough stretch. As much as SNE is somewhat severe deprived, that stretch of time I mentioned was really good for our standards...at least here ern ma. Hail, wind...you name it. I missed the big SE MA macroburst, but at least it wasn't because I was selling hot dogs. Track meet FTL.

Nice writeup Ryan.  Good explanation about the KDP as well.  I would guess that in the KDP spike it was mostly heavy oblate rain with a handful of stray (wet) hailstones while the low region was the primary hailcore.  

It's interesting too that there was a sudden drop in KDP in the volume scan immediately prior to the hail reaching the ground. Seems like when the hail core descended on the northwest flank of the storm KDP dropped while the larger area getting heavy rain and wet/water-coated/non-severe hail had the high KDP continue. 

I do appreciate a good storm as much as anyone, but it's been a rough stretch. As much as SNE is somewhat severe deprived, that stretch of time I mentioned was really good for our standards...at least here ern ma. Hail, wind...you name it. I missed the big SE MA macroburst, but at least it wasn't because I was selling hot dogs. Track meet FTL.

It's been a pretty crazy stretch of weather since 2011... but in terms of severe since the Springfield tornado it's been quiet.

It's good to keep the winter chill around too at 500mb. Takes a lot of time to warm upstairs.

I miss the 90s and early 2000s. For some reason, that was a good period for severe even in ern ma. I can't recall a summer this dull for tstms locally. I mean beyond dull.

I lived in northeast CT at the time and also recall several good thunderstorm events during that time. I never large hail up there and in fact, I only saw hail once in Windham County and that was pea-sized, lol. 

I lived in northeast CT at the time and also recall several good thunderstorm events during that time. I never large hail up there and in fact, I only saw hail once in Windham County and that was pea-sized, lol. 

Kevin would have been out of control during the June '95 baseball storm. The good news is that his Dodge Ram probably would have been totaled in which we all would have a good laugh.

Kevin would have been out of control during the June '95 baseball storm. The good news is that his Dodge Ram probably would have been totaled in which we all would have a good laugh.

besides the TOR I saw this summer..that is still my favorite and best severe storm. Monster balls fell from the sky in Vernon that day. Deep River gets all the attn in that one, but Vernon/Tolland/Ellington/manchester also had hail the same size

lots of references to what a severe weather hole eastern mass north of the Cape was, 1200 years and nothing has changed

That big mothership that moved offshore near Peabody and BVY last year was probably the best they've had in a while.   Back in '01 I can recall a decent hailstorm up there too, but don't remember the day.

edit- it was 6/30/01

Pictures or it doesn't count...

LOL..I think in 95 we still had Polaroids. We had several houses in that hood that had skylights broken I remember and my mom's car hood looked like Arod's back with pockmarks. Just massive stones that day. I remember watcjing TWC local on the 8's and that was the only radar we had..and seeing the warning . I still remember sitting there watching as the things formed up near Amherst. there were also TOR warnings issued with it 

LOL..I think in 95 we still had Polaroids. We had several houses in that hood that had skylights broken I remember and my mom's car hood looked like Arod's back with pockmarks. Just massive stones that day. I remember watcjing TWC local on the 8's and that was the only radar we had..and seeing the warning . I still remember sitting there watching as the things formed up near Amherst. there were also TOR warnings issued with it 

Running through the streets nude with a baseball helmet on.

I remember being jealous watching radar.

Classic flying eagle right there.

Yeah pretty awesome looking. 

Here's the storm data entry

A cold front moving across the area generated severe thunderstorms which produced large hail and gusty winds. Baseball-size hail lasted for up to 20 minutes in Deep River causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. The hailstones broke hundreds of windows in buildings and automobiles, tore holes in roofs, dented siding and automobiles, and ruined gardens. Some automobiles were totaled.  In one historic building, the hail broke 25 windows, including a 100-year curved window. Thirty-two windows were smashed in an elementary school and its roof was damaged. Most of the damage was covered by insurance.

Archived