• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

Get the snowblower ready.  Anything that kills a snow threat in mid-November bodes well for the rest of winter.

Remember...pre-Thanksgiving snow = not much snow the rest of winter.

is that a correlation down there? I know there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation at all in southcentral/central PA. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get the snowblower ready.  Anything that kills a snow threat in mid-November bodes well for the rest of winter.

Remember...pre-Thanksgiving snow = not much snow the rest of winter.

Is there scientific fact or is this more of a coincidence people apply as fact. Just wondering becuse say the same storms still happened and it was 34 and rain oppsoed to 32 and snow wouldn't the results of the winter have been the same?

I would say that in the Philly area, there is some correlation between early accumulating snows and the rest of winter being pretty blah in the snow department.  But its certainly not scientific fact.

Here's a few off the top of my head...

1979 - Accumulating snow on October 10.  Rest of winter....not much snow.

1989 - Accumulating snow on Thanksgiving eve.  Rest of winter...not much snow.

2011 - Accumulating snow on October 29.  Rest of winter...not much snow.

2012 - Accumulating snow pre-Thanksgiving.  Rest of winter...not much snow.

Is there scientific fact or is this more of a coincidence people apply as fact. Just wondering becuse say the same storms still happened and it was 34 and rain oppsoed to 32 and snow wouldn't the results of the winter have been the same?

From a scientific standpoint - when Philadelphia records measurable snow during the month of NOV the mean snowfall for the remainder of the season is 24.0" and when no measurable snow is recorded the mean snowfall for the remainder of the season is 20.7".

Thanksgiving is a variable date which as we see this year can be as late as 11/28 so pre-Thanksgiving is not a good benchmark to measure a trend.

I would say that in the Philly area, there is some correlation between early accumulating snows and the rest of winter being pretty blah in the snow department.  But its certainly not scientific fact.

Here's a few off the top of my head...

1979 - Accumulating snow on October 10.  Rest of winter....not much snow.

1989 - Accumulating snow on Thanksgiving eve.  Rest of winter...not much snow.

2011 - Accumulating snow on October 29.  Rest of winter...not much snow.

2012 - Accumulating snow pre-Thanksgiving.  Rest of winter...not much snow.

Not positive but fairly certain the biggest snowfall i have seen in november was mid month in 1987 but it might have been a jersey hit. Rest of winter blah

A correlation to pre thanksgiving snow and unseasonable cold concerns me a little bit

I have an archive of the november event from weather channel but it is vhs and i no longer have a player :(

From a scientific standpoint - when Philadelphia records measurable snow during the month of NOV the mean snowfall for the remainder of the season is 24.0" and when no measurable snow is recorded the mean snowfall for the remainder of the season is 20.7".

Thanksgiving is a variable date which as we see this year can be as late as 11/28 so pre-Thanksgiving is not a good benchmark to measure a trend.

If you cut it off by November 15th...

8.8 through 11/15/1953... 13.8 rest of season

2.3 through 11/15/1908... 15.8 rest of season

2.0 through 11/15/1940... 33.5 rest of season

1.3 through 11/15/1987... 13.7 rest of season

1.1 through 11/15/1925... 18.0 rest of season

0.8 through 11/15/1892... 36.0 rest of season

0.4 through 11/15/1968... 23.3 rest of season

0.3 through 11/15/2011... 3.7 rest of season

0.2 through 11/15/1933... 34.3 rest of season

0.2 through 11/15/1904... 43.6 rest of season

If you cut it off by November 15th...

8.8 through 11/15/1953... 13.8 rest of season

2.3 through 11/15/1908... 15.8 rest of season

2.0 through 11/15/1940... 33.5 rest of season

1.3 through 11/15/1987... 13.7 rest of season

1.1 through 11/15/1925... 18.0 rest of season

0.8 through 11/15/1892... 36.0 rest of season

0.4 through 11/15/1968... 23.3 rest of season

0.3 through 11/15/2011... 3.7 rest of season

0.2 through 11/15/1933... 34.3 rest of season

0.2 through 11/15/1904... 43.6 rest of season

50/50 on having a decent winter so not so bad after all

What were other local accumulations in the Nov 87 event as it looks like philly made out bad i could have sworn i saw 4-6" in horsham

50/50 on having a decent winter so not so bad after all

What were other local accumulations in the Nov 87 event as it looks like philly made out bad i could have sworn i saw 4-6" in horsham

1.3 in Trenton.

3.7 in Allentown.

4.5 in Reading.

0.7 in Wilmington.

Trace in Atlantic City.

GFS has folded on the november mauler

Betting the euro does the same tonight.

Euro didn't exactly cave, but it did shift everything south and east it appears, with a sharp cut-off to the north and west. Looking at the snow maps, I-95 to the coast gets pounded while back my way I get my customary 2-4 inches.

GFS has folded on the november mauler

Betting the euro does the same tonight.

Euro didn't exactly cave, but it did shift everything south and east it appears, with a sharp cut-off to the north and west. Looking at the snow maps, I-95 to the coast gets pounded while back my way I get my customary 2-4 inches.

And we all know how those cutoffs work Steve lol. Push that cutoff 50 miles south and east and we watch flurries while the PHL weenies are posting their measurements while we cry and touch ourselves praying maybe some day.

Warm and wet......cold and dry......it won't be denied.

I don't know how others feel, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a bit easier to take than sitting on the edge of a tight gradient getting flurries to perhaps an inch acumulation, while 25-50 miles away folks are getting destroyed by heavy snow and measuring with yardsticks.

I don't know how others feel, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a bit easier to take than sitting on the edge of a tight gradient getting flurries to perhaps an inch acumulation, while 25-50 miles away folks are getting destroyed by heavy snow and measuring with yardsticks.

Any scenario in which you were so close yet missed is heart-wrenching.  I was most disappointed in missing Feb 10 2010 by a day, but wasn't thrilled about missing the mega-band on Dec 26, 2010 by 30 miles, either.

Any scenario in which you were so close yet missed is heart-wrenching.  I was most disappointed in missing Feb 10 2010 by a day, but wasn't thrilled about missing the mega-band on Dec 26, 2010 by 30 miles, either.

Well I can still remember listening to WINS during the 69 Lindsay storm - next to nothing here while NYC was buried. Seemed like the inland areas did far better in the 60s-80s. Haven't been getting many coast huggers recently.

Just saw the euro and got that sinking feeling of not again.

Archived