Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frozen precipitation three times in October since i moved near Quakertown five years ago. Light sleet and snow mix in 2008, frankenstorm in 2011 and snow flurry post Sandy last year. Would think odds are astronomically slim it happens again so soon

* Could be wrong about last year i remember seeing snow flakes during the power outtage but it might have been in the first couple days of november

how do you shelter those?

Corrugated clear plastic sheets attached to wood frame that I lower over it with my loader.   Openings sealed with the insulation

they sell at Lowe's.   Mulch heaped up about 2 feet around the base.   Electric heater inside set to maintain a 40 degree minimum

temperature.    I'll post pictures of the setup.

Do you dig those up?  I imagine it would be damn near impossible to keep the bananas outside, though some hardy palms could make it.

The hardy palm and the bananas have survived 2 winters.   The first winter I went with mulch only and the banans died back to ground level

and regrew the following summer, the palm survived just fine.   Last winter, I went with the heater and the bananas maintained a 4 foot high

live stalk.   Not sure if these things will ever bloom and grow fruit though since I prune them back to 5-6 feet to fit in the shelter.

The Sago palm I planted in January and the larger palm (unknown variety from Lowe's), I planted over the summer and it's grown very nicely.

Archived