Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Noreaster

Ginx snewx

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scott would u agree that models usually underestimate the effect of confluence on QPF totals on NE side /fringe of steady precip shield. I mean in winter i have seen this at least 75 percent of time if confluence is in play. i will see .50 precip on model w confluence in winter, it seems i'm lucky to get 1 inch 24 hours later.

with that said is confluence really in play here?

I mean there is some confluence, but the real issue here is the strength of the s/w moving into the MA and what if any effect convection and convective s/w's will do. As far as confluence goes, we know that many times the precip shield in winter goes from S+ to flurries in about 15-20 miles when there is strong confluence. A model may not be able to handle that well because of its resolution, but they are getting better with horizontal resolution.

I mean there is some confluence, but the real issue here is the strength of the s/w moving into the MA and what if any effect convection and convective s/w's will do. As far as confluence goes, we know that many times the precip shield in winter goes from S+ to flurries in about 15-20 miles when there is strong confluence. A model may not be able to handle that well because of its resolution, but they are getting better with horizontal resolution.

yes thats exactly what i'm talking about. i didn't realize they were getting better because they still seem to be awful wrt to qpf on NE side of precip shield in confluence situations 24-30 hrs out, not sure if that is in play here for Bos metro. But if it was winter i would be preparing to smoke cirrus while SW ct gets the national guard ready.

yes thats exactly what i'm talking about. i didn't realize they were getting better because they still seem to be awful wrt to qpf on NE side of precip shield in confluence situations 24-30 hrs out, not sure if that is in play here for Bos metro. But if it was winter i would be preparing to smoke cirrus while SW ct gets the national guard ready.

Usually it's one of those things where if we have strong confluence and the QPF gradient is really strong, than those who are near the gradient need to worry.

BOX is tossing the NAM's heavy qpf.  And, unlike the NAM (particularly the 06z run), they're calling for a 'South of the Pike" deal.  That was my take yesterday, but with the NAM coming in with so much and dropping heaivly from Albany through the southern VT/NH and south, my earlier call might be wrong.

But, BOX is not bullish on northern zones.  We have the flood watch up here, but today/tonights POPS are only at 80/80 on the point/click (70/90 on the zfp)  Regardless of where the heaviest sets up, I think a bump to 100%would be warrented. 

But congrats CT per BOX!

Well at least tomorrow afternoon turns nice and sunny..silver lining

The upper level system moves right over your fanny Friday afternoon. It could be crappy for you most of the day.

Decent shift north by the Euro op/en too so the GFS isn't off its rocker. Looks like WNE is under the gun for max amounts.

Archived