Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
June 2013 Observations and Discussions

SACRUS

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this interesting from the Upton's NWS facebook page:

"The DREAMS project is currently using the Doppler on Wheels (DOW) to scan the developing storms over Queens and Nassau county. These storms have fired along the sea breeze boundary. One of our Meteorologists is with the research group today at Jacob Riis Park and has shared this photo with the Cumulonimbus cloud from the thunderstorm over LGA."

I had a great view of that pileus from my vantage point here in Nassau earlier. The storms fired rapidly

right along the sea breeze front. It went from from sunny to towering CU in about 15 minutes followed

by thunder shortly after that.

ww0355_radar_big.gif

Tornadoes
Probability of 2 or more tornadoes

Low (10%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes

Low (<2%)

Wind
Probability of 10 or more severe wind events

High (80%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots

Low (10%)

Hail
Probability of 10 or more severe hail events

Mod (30%)

Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches

Mod (30%)

Combined Severe Hail/Wind
Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events

High (80%)

so the high CAPE woundn't help?

The cloudcover from the anvil blowoff is lowering our surface heating, thus lowering our instability a bit. 

There is also weak shear, especially with respect to magnitude, so the very slow upper level winds yield quite slow storm movement, allowing for the storms to rain themselves out as opposed to pushing outflow out ahead to sustain themselves. The downdraft thus remains too close to any potential new updrafts, helping to "choke" the lift. 

The cloudcover from the anvil blowoff is lowering our surface heating, thus lowering our instability a bit. 

There is also weak shear, especially with respect to magnitude, so the very slow upper level winds yield quite slow storm movement, allowing for the storms to rain themselves out as opposed to pushing outflow out ahead to sustain themselves. The downdraft thus remains too close to any potential new updrafts, helping to "choke" the lift. 

Well said. I witnessed just that here in Monmouth. Strong pulse cell yielded 4-5" of rain in SW Monmouth but the limited movement for 1-2 hours w/ the rapid decrease in instability at the surface ultimately caused its demise. The rain cooled air prevented the maintenance of the storm as it did not propagate into a more unstable environment.

But these storms are putting out a ton of lightning. I've had frequent flashes and loud booms w/ virtually nothing on radar near me right now.

Archived