Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 27-June 2 Severe Weather

Hoosier

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That area of rain and thunderstorms moving through Southwest Michigan at the current time just happened to split, it's headed north and south of me which puts me in a good area for later on with clearing after this line.. We're sitting at a solid temperature of 72° right now so it's not going to take much to push 80 once this passes by.

Yeah, also with the temps staying in the upper 70s and the dew points in the upper 60s should help the potential of tornadoes with the LCL heights staying lower.

Looks good LB... I'd like to say I have some hope for the GRR/DTX areas.

I especially like what I see over southern Wisconsin and eastern Iowa. That shortwave should really blossom once it's over this way.

On a side note. It poured downtown BC. A few smaller cells popped just west of the main line. Flint/Detroit, look out its headed your way.

4KM SPC-WRF blow up vigorous convection over Northern IL into SW MI around 22z and moves it across Southern Lower MI through the evening, this is the convection that would be associated with the shortwave across Iowa and is what would concern me with respect to severe weather and potential tornadoes.

refd_1000m_f11.gif

mxuphl_f11.gif

Looks good LB... I'd like to say I have some hope for the GRR/DTX areas.

I especially like what I see over southern Wisconsin and eastern Iowa. That shortwave should really blossom once it's over this way.

On a side note. It poured downtown BC. A few smaller cells popped just west of the main line. Flint/Detroit, look out its headed your way.

If we get any more convection around here tonight, flooding issues will really ramp up, especially with Thursday and/or Friday potentially bringing more heavy rain.  Temp and dewpoint rapidly rising atm, which was bound to happen given we were stuck around 50F early this morning.

Oh yikes, check out the 2-5km max UH's on the 12Z SPC WRF...right over the BC area and into SE MI

Impressive...right around sunset, too. Could be some photogenic storms if things unfold similarly to what this is suggesting. That's decent terrain, although you do have the Irish Hills in that area.

SPCWRF12z_zps3f62093a.gif

Quite a few clouds along the warm front no doubt. If it was a mostly sunny afternoon up here, I'd say severe wx could pop. Too many clouds as it looks now.

Forecast soundings have been putting out decent instability using temps of 77-80 and dews in the upper 60s. The closer to or exceeding of those numbers would likely raise severe chances.

Forecast soundings have been putting out decent instability using temps of 77-80 and dews in the upper 60s. The closer to or exceeding of those numbers would likely raise severe chances.

To all those remarking about too many clouds, I want you to please keep the following dates in mind:

4/20/04

6/7/08

6/5/10

Yes to both of these posts, the fact is it is already warm and moist in most locations near the warm front and there is still filtered sunshine, temps don't have very far to go to reach near 80 across most locations.

To all those remarking about too many clouds, I want you to please keep the following dates in mind:

4/20/04

6/7/08

6/5/10

I think all 3 of those had late clearing/breaks...well, I know 04 and 10 did but having a harder time remembering 08.

4/20/04

6/7/08

6/5/10

It's true, clouds are not nearly as much of a hindrance as crapvection, as temps and dews have still been proven to rise in those conditions.  Also, if we can have impressive garden variety t'storms after constant 50F temps and clouds/drizzle/fog, Chicago can still see good storms on a day with cloudiness around.

4/20/04

6/7/08

6/5/10

6/7/08 there was two severe t-storm warnings and a tornado warning here, so yeah... I guess clouds don't matter too much in every setup.

Next day was pretty nasty too, with 3 severe t-storm warnings.

6/7/08 there was two severe t-storm warnings and a tornado warning here, so yeah... I guess clouds don't matter too much in every setup.

Next day was pretty nasty too, with 3 severe t-storm warnings.

Not to mention, oh, the 4 stovepipe-wedge tornadoes in Will County.

4/20/04

6/7/08

6/5/10

Yes thank you sir. It is crazy muggy here, sun most of the day and I saw tornadoes on two of those days listed. This is a classic setup for these parts

In any case, there looks to be a couple of hours of clearing in Southern MI after this line rolls through. Don't think the line is organized enough to really stabilize the atmosphere, either. The southern two tiers of counties in MI are close to getting primed, IMO.

Archived