Newest Member
    Toothache
May 27-June 2 Severe Weather

Hoosier

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll have forcing problems as well

yeah, agree....there are some boundaries out there...but whether or not they will be enough, or where they end up is tough to gauge

man that 850 moisture transport is pretty sick....if things can pop late afternoon it could be interesting

yeah, agree....there are some boundaries out there...but whether or not they will be enough, or where they end up is tough to gauge

man that 850 moisture transport is pretty sick....if things can pop late afternoon it could be interesting

It's pretty muggy, but I think the show will be well east today.

we're slowly building CAPE despite persistent overcast...although some partial clearing is pushig into the state. It looks like we'll have a minor disturbance move in from northern MO and southern IA by this evening and the HRRR does fire some storms with this but it's not overly impressive.

EDIT: hi-res NAM also developes convection this afternoon along I80, still not sure why LOT has higher pops north.

repeat of last weeks fail and hype here.. cool

was just thinking of this as well....only difference I see is that DP's are recovering nicely behind the pile of clouds in NW IL and areas around that this time....last week the moisture transport became almost completely shut off....doesn't seem to be the case thus far

its 11 am and I know  my severe weather chances are tucked  away. I didn't say anything about fail in others back yards.

Had a few good cracks of thunder this early am so I'm all set until more craptastic rain moves in in a few days.   2 weeks of dry and boring would be nice but I don't envision that being the case for some time.

DTX's update is pretty much spot on for what I am seeing unfold for the region/locally

900 MB SEGMENT OF THE WARM FRONTAL SLOPE PROGRESSIVELY ADVANCING
ACROSS SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN LATE THIS MORNING. 15Z SFC ANALYSIS
PLACES THE ACTUAL SURFACE REFLECTION JUST OUTSIDE THE FORECAST
AREA...ARCING ROUGHLY FROM TOLEDO TO BATTLE CREEK TO HOLLAND.
SUSTAINED MOIST ASCENT UP THE ELEVATED SLAB ANCHORED ON STEADY
850-925MB 20-30KT SOUTHWEST FLOW SUPPORTING A CORRIDOR MODERATE
RAINFALL AND EMBEDDED THUNDER ACROSS THE REGION. THIS PRECIPITATION
SHIELD WILL PROGRESS ACROSS AREAS EAST OF I-75 AND NORTH OF I-69
OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS. SOME HEALTHY RAINFALL AMOUNTS CAN BE
EXPECTED WITH THIS FIRST ROUND...RECENT REPORTS OF A QUICK INCH
WITHIN THE HEAVIEST DOWNPOURS.

SURFACE WARM FRONT WILL PROGRESSIVELY MIGRATE NORTHEAST AND INTO
THE REGION IN THE WAKE OF THIS LEAD MOISTURE PLUME THIS AFTERNOON.
FOCUS FOR THE LATTER HALF OF THE DAY REMAINS ON DEFINING THE
POSSIBLE SCALE...MAGNITUDE AND OVERALL LOCATION OF ADDITIONAL
CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT WITHIN AN EXPANDING AND GRADUALLY MODULATING
UPSTREAM WARM SECTOR ENVIRONMENT. UPSTREAM WATER VAPOR ANALYSIS
REVEALS AT LEAST ONE REMNANT MCV TRACKING ACROSS SOUTH LAKE
MICHIGAN...WITH A TRAILING BUT SLIGHTLY MORE VIGOROUS LOOKING
WAVE AND ASSOCIATED LOW LEVEL JETLET LIFTING OUT OF EASTERN IOWA.
THE DOWNSTREAM AIRMASS SHOWING SIGNS OF SOME GRADUAL BOUNDARY
LAYER DESTABILIZATION...AIDED BY THE INFUSION OF LOW-MID 60S
DEWPOINTS AND SOME BREAKS IN THE LINGERING MID LEVEL CLOUD. THE
EFFICIENCY OF THIS PROCESS GOING FORWARD THIS AFTERNOON
ESSENTIALLY HOLDS THE KEY TO OUR PROSPECTS OF GENERATING SEVERE
CONVECTION. LOW LEVEL INSTABILITY CONCERNS ASIDE...THE UPTICK IN
LARGE SCALE FORCING TIED TO THE INBOUND MCV COINCIDENT WITH THE
PEAK HEATING CYCLE WILL SUPPORT AN EXPANSION IN SHOWER AND
THUNDERSTORM...AND EASTWARD EXTRAPOLATION OF CURRENT RADAR IMAGERY
YIELDING AN ARRIVAL TIME OF 18-20Z. RECENT HI RES/HRRR SOLUTIONS
LOCKING IN ON THIS FEATURE...WHILE THEN ALLOWING ADDITIONAL MORE
DISCRETE CELLS TO EMERGE IN IT/S WAKE ACROSS NORTHWEST
IN/SOUTHWEST LOWER MI AFTER 20Z...PERHAPS TIED TO THE TRAILING
EASTERN IOWA SHORTWAVE. THE BACKGROUND WIND FIELD YIELDS A
SUFFICIENTLY STRONG 0-6 KM DEEP LAYER SHEAR TO MAINTAIN ORGANIZED
CONVECTION...SHOULD BETTER LOW LEVEL INSTABILITY EMERGE. IN
ADDITION TO THE INHERENT HIGH WIND GUST THREAT...THE PRESENCE OF
THE WARM FRONT IN AN ENVIRONMENT WITH LOWERED LCL HEIGHTS AND
HEIGHTENED LOW LEVEL HELICITY VALUES WILL MAINTAIN THE POSSIBILITY
OF WEAK TORNADOGENESIS WITHIN ANY DISCRETE CELLS.

The stuff that interests me greatly is the cells that look to form off of the shortwave currently back in Iowa, those could be the ones with the tornado potential as they move in the vicinity of the warm front that is lifting Northward into the area.

The stuff that interests me greatly is the cells that look to form off of the shortwave currently back in Iowa, those could be the ones with the tornado potential as they move in the vicinity of the warm front that is lifting Northward into the area.

that won't even get north of I80, much less into Michigan. PIA to IKK is the only interesting play today IMO and even that is pretty meh

that won't even get north of I80, much less into Michigan. PIA to IKK is the only interesting play today IMO and even that is pretty meh

It is moving Northeast not East and it is already in the Northern half of Iowa, I don't think you are looking at the right thing if you are focusing that far South.

SPC put out a MCD for the MCV moving into Michigan, the warm sector isn't up far enough so these storms should remain elevated however the stuff that fires behind them won't be.

mcd0836.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0836   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1054 AM CDT TUE MAY 28 2013   AREAS AFFECTED...SRN LOWER MI AND PARTS OF FAR NRN IND AND FAR NWRN   OH   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE    VALID 281554Z - 281730Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT   SUMMARY...TSTMS SHOULD CONTINUE TO DEVELOP AND SPREAD FROM WEST TO   EAST ACROSS THE SRN HALF OF LOWER MI...WITH ADDITIONAL STORMS MOVING   ACROSS NRN IND AND FAR NWRN OH INTO THE AFTERNOON.  A FEW SEVERE   STORMS MAY DEVELOP OVER SRN LOWER MI...BUT UNCERTAINTY IN OVERALL   COVERAGE OF THE SEVERE THREAT PRECLUDES THE NEED FOR A WATCH AT THIS   TIME.  THIS REGION WILL BE MONITORED FOR STRONGER DESTABILIZATION   PRIOR TO TSTM PASSAGE.   DISCUSSION...TRENDS IN LATE MORNING SURFACE ANALYSES SHOWED A WARM   FRONT ADVANCING NNEWD ACROSS SRN LOWER MI...WITH THIS BOUNDARY AT   15Z EXTENDING SEWD FROM NEAR OTTAWA COUNTY MI TO FAR SERN LOWER MI   /20 S KDTW/.  SLY WINDS ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR ARE SPREADING   MOISTURE NWD BENEATH THE ERN EXTENT OF THE EML WHERE MIDLEVEL LAPSE   RATES ARE AROUND 7 C/KM...RESULTING IN MARGINAL INSTABILITY /MUCAPE   AROUND 500 J PER KG/ SO FAR.  VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY ACROSS THE   DISCUSSION AREA INDICATED BREAKS IN THE CLOUDS ALLOWING FOR   ADDITIONAL SURFACE HEATING/DESTABILIZATION INTO THE AFTERNOON.   MEANWHILE...REGIONAL RADAR IMAGERY INDICATED AN INCREASE IN TSTM   DEVELOPMENT SINCE 15Z INLAND FROM THE ERN/SERN COAST OF LAKE   MICHIGAN.  THIS ACTIVITY IS TRACKING EWD AT 40 KT AND WILL REACH   ERN/SERN LOWER MI BY 18-19Z.  THESE STORMS APPEAR TO BE SUPPORTED BY   FORCING FOR ASCENT ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF A PROGRESSIVE MCV   MOVING INTO SRN LOWER MI...WHERE THE AIR MASS IS GRADUALLY   DESTABILIZING.  ALTHOUGH EFFECTIVE BULK SHEAR IS INCREASING TO AID   IN STORM ORGANIZATION...THE EWD SPEED OF THE ONGOING STORMS COULD   OUT PACE THE WARM SECTOR DESTABILIZATION...SUCH THAT THE OVERALL   SEVERE WEATHER THREAT WILL BE LIMITED.

Warm front on the move north in the QC area?

Yeah it is starting to progress northward, you can see where the warm front is located in the surface obs.

il.sfc.gif

It is just South of the QC right now, with very good moisture just South of it, dew points in the upper 60s.

Yeah it is starting to progress northward, you can see where the warm front is located in the surface obs.

il.sfc.gif

It is just South of the QC right now, with very good moisture just South of it, dew points in the upper 60s.

Are you sure?  There's almost no difference in temp between Rockford, for example, and the rest of Illinois, and even some locations north of the warm front still have dews in the low to mid 60s.

Are you sure?  There's almost no difference in temp between Rockford, for example, and the rest of Illinois, and even some locations north of the warm front still have dews in the low to mid 60s.

Compared to the mid 70 temps and upper 60 dews to the South, yes I am sure. It does bulge up a bit in IL but it isn't in WI yet.

That area of rain and thunderstorms moving through Southwest Michigan at the current time just happened to split, it's headed north and south of me which puts me in a good area for later on with clearing after this line.. We're sitting at a solid temperature of 72° right now so it's not going to take much to push 80 once this passes by.

Archived