• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

Not sure if I buy the late timing, but it's a complex forecast. Either way, I think we can agree the best target is probably somewhere in NY or western Mass.

I agree there...this is where we're more likely to see the best combo of instability/shear.

What's also interesting is that this is a pretty strong warm front so there will be more buoyancy in the vicinity and I think we'll see winds more backed than what models are showing.

We also have to watch and see what our main s/w is b/c depending on the track, that could allow for some better height falls as well as cooling aloft and a method of steepening lapse rates some.

Very complex but interesting. More times than none these don't pan out but it oy takes that one time! That's why I love this stuff so much...unless you have that EML setup, you never really fully know what that one time can be.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very much a nowcast. We've seen plenty of times up here that marginal setups end up being good and seemingly excellent setups bust.

Watch for daytime heating and the timing of the frontal system tomorrow.

I am not sure what the previous version of this product looked like, but the recently disseminated outlook via SPC has a Slight region hashed out that is nosing into SNE.  

I would think that supercells could take place due to SRH saturation in the vicinity of the warm front as it moves across the area.   Their accompanying text hints at it, but my experience with cells that develop just beneath the warm frontal interfaces when you have pooling theta-e need to be watched.  Also, having a slight acceleration in the westerly mid-level flow should elevate the concern a little.  

DEEP LAYER BULK SHEAR WOULD ALSO SUGGEST WEAK
ROTATION IS POSSIBLE...THOUGH DAMAGING WINDS SHOULD BE THE PRIMARY
THREAT WITH THESE DIURNALLY ENHANCED CLUSTERS.

Southern New England, specifically. NMM doesn't bring the line into western Mass. until 7 to 8 p.m. with the ARW around 7 p.m. Takes a few hours to drop down towards I-84 and then I-95.

I'm not sure far SNE sees much, to be honest.

Looking at my phone but as far as instability and shear goes looking very good here

I don't think it looks that great, but it gets better as you head north.

Max probs of MUCAPE >500 J/kg and 0-6km shear >30kts is only about 15-20% in your neck of the woods. Over 30% into western Mass.

post-533-0-60328200-1369775323_thumb.png

I don't think it looks that great, but it gets better as you head north.

Max probs of MUCAPE >500 J/kg and 0-6km shear >30kts is only about 15-20% in your neck of the woods. Over 30% into western Mass.

attachicon.gifSREF1.png

Just going to be a nowcasting situation of where the best instability develops.  Also important to note is, it won't be exactly where the best instability develops but where that axis of stronger instability is along with the shear.  I could see NW CT/SW MA being a great spot for something. 

Just going to be a nowcasting situation of where the best instability develops.  Also important to note is, it won't be exactly where the best instability develops but where that axis of stronger instability is along with the shear.  I could see NW CT/SW MA being a great spot for something. 

I don't think instability is a big problem. I bet we get some pretty good destabilization.

Shear only looks modest at best, but we have had decent severe weather in the past with bulk shear only around 30kt. Helicity values go up significantly as you move northward.

Do doubt I bet some storms reach into SW MA and potentially NW CT.

Haven't looked at MOS since 6z, but even then I felt it was running too low for highs tomorrow. Assuming we break through, temps should climb well into the 70's, if not 80+ in spots. Fuel for the damaging times ahead....

*edit* just checked and MOS is significantly warmer now. Makes sense.

Not that this means much but I think it was for May 21st the GFS handled the lapse rates much better than the NAM did.  NAM was insisting that the mlvl lapse rates would be around 6 C/KM or so but the GFS had 6.5-7 C/KM....and that day they were around 6.5-7 C/KM...and actually closer to 7 C/KM.  Just a note.

Not that this means much but I think it was for May 21st the GFS handled the lapse rates much better than the NAM did.  NAM was insisting that the mlvl lapse rates would be around 6 C/KM or so but the GFS had 6.5-7 C/KM....and that day they were around 6.5-7 C/KM...and actually closer to 7 C/KM.  Just a note.

A lot of that depends on what happens with convection tonight. I think 6.5 or so will do it, but I do like the W-WNW flow at H5. That's a big plus to have regardless. I think there will be a line pushing in very late day into the Berks, but unsure how it will survive as it heads east.Think it will have some longevity. I do like how the S/W dips into SNE even with small height falls. It may be enough to cause a mesoscale increase in winds aloft and shear. 

A lot of that depends on what happens with convection tonight. I think 6.5 or so will do it, but I do like the W-WNW flow at H5. That's a big plus to have regardless. I think there will be a line pushing in very late day into the Berks, but unsure how it will survive as it heads east.Think it will have some longevity. I do like how the S/W dips into SNE even with small height falls. It may be enough to cause a mesoscale increase in winds aloft and shear. 

What happens with convection tonight certainly will play a role in the lapse rates.  With the s/w moving in along with the weak height falls as you mentioned, that could help to rebound them some if they weaken.  I do think we should see shear increase as well and we really need to watch the sfc winds especially, if they are backed more S/SE then watch out!  The 18z GFS is very, very interesting.  

If the 18z GFS is right we rock tomorrow. Could be very impressive around Albany and even east to the CT River. I like what I see.

The key here is to get the GFS evolution to be right lol

Hodographs look good for supercells and even tornadoes. 

If the 18z GFS is right we rock tomorrow. Could be very impressive around Albany and even east to the CT River. I like what I see.

The key here is to get the GFS evolution to be right lol

Hodographs look good for supercells and even tornadoes. 

There you are!!!!!

What's been intriguing about this is, the GFS has looked better and better each run and even the 18z NAM went towards the GFS to some degree.  0z runs will be interesting!

There you are!!!!!

What's been intriguing about this is, the GFS has looked better and better each run and even the 18z NAM went towards the GFS to some degree.  0z runs will be interesting!

I actually find the GFS to be really good around here with severe weather threats. 

I'll be chasing in a news van tomorrow lol

I actually find the GFS to be really good around here with severe weather threats. 

I'll be chasing in a news van tomorrow lol

I agree...the GFS does seem to do a very good job here with convection and handles the situation extremely well.  

I'm supposed to work Hershey Track tomorrow night...but I'm going to hope I can get out of working it.  It all depends on how much help we have.  It will also depend on whether this one person is working that or supervising at the rink...if he is supervising at the rink than I will have to work b/c I'll have to be in charge of an event.

I agree...the GFS does seem to do a very good job here with convection and handles the situation extremely well.  

I'm supposed to work Hershey Track tomorrow night...but I'm going to hope I can get out of working it.  It all depends on how much help we have.  It will also depend on whether this one person is working that or supervising at the rink...if he is supervising at the rink than I will have to work b/c I'll have to be in charge of an event.

heavy heavy tornado watch with Wiz doing heavy heavy work

Archived