e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think lapse rates will be getting worse rather than better as the day continues. I don't like warm fronts... it seems like so much more of a battle. Sure there is plenty of lift but you have warm air surging in, cloud problem... etc. Sunday has such a better story line if it comes to fruition. Cold front, maximized daytime heating, at least marginal shear. Wish we could have an eml or cap to help out and get us a widespread event. With the waa we get high shear/low instability and caa low shear/high instability. Seems to always be one or the other. But as I always think, if there is no modest ML lapse rates, forget it and understand we aren't seeing widespread severe.

Actually, quite a few of our biggest events occur with a morning warm frontal passage.  They did have EML's though.  Also...if you have an open wave low moving through b/c those lead to widespread high helicity fields.  

Actually, quite a few of our biggest events occur with a morning warm frontal passage.  They did have EML's though.  Also...if you have an open wave low moving through b/c those lead to widespread high helicity fields.  

WTBY NAM sounding briefly gets helicity a little over 300 m^2/s^2 tomorrow morning.

WTBY NAM sounding briefly gets helicity a little over 300 m^2/s^2 tomorrow morning.

Was just looking at the 6z runs and the 12z NAM as well as the 9z SPC SREF and unfortunately things don't really appear to be coming together all that great.  Still may see some severe but the question is how widespread will activity be and how severe the potential activity can get.  

Seems like there will be a quite a disconnect between the greatest shear/instability.  

Was just looking at the 6z runs and the 12z NAM as well as the 9z SPC SREF and unfortunately things don't really appear to be coming together all that great.  Still may see some severe but the question is how widespread will activity be and how severe the potential activity can get.  

Seems like there will be a quite a disconnect between the greatest shear/instability.  

Yeah I see what you mean. By the time we erode the morning cap the best shear is behind us. :/

Yeah I see what you mean. By the time we erode the morning cap the best shear is behind us. :/

NW CT/western MA really may be the best spot...also into portions of eastern NY.  Just really going to depend on how much sunshine we are able to generate after that morning stuff goes through.  The good news is with nearly SW sfc flow perhaps that should help lead to more breaks. 

One thing to watch for though is sfc winds to hang back S or even slightly SE and that would boost helicity values right back up. 

GFS is very unstable in western areas. Decent shear too and enough 0-1km shear if winds back for some spinners in low levels. Definitely worth watching. 

Still a mess of shortwaves at 500mb and the actually trigger for convection may be tough to resolve until we iron out the mesoscale details tomorrow. 

Lapse rates are ok for our standards, but the GFS is rather interesting for wrn MA and CT later tomorrow. Could be quite a line forming in NY state.

Weird S/W timing though with one coming through mid to late morning and then another perhaps tomorrow evening. However, we've had some convective MCVs form which may also screw around with modeling.

Lapse rates are ok for our standards, but the GFS is rather interesting for wrn MA and CT later tomorrow. Could be quite a line forming in NY state.

Weird S/W timing though with one coming through mid to late morning and then another perhaps tomorrow evening. However, we've had some convective MCVs form which may also screw around with modeling.

It is weird s/w timing and I can't imagine the models have a really good handle on it. Lots of mesoscale details to work out too. 

We'll see but verbatim the GFS is a decent severe threat tomorrow west of teh CT RIver. 

lol ..assuming you're talking about CT.

Southern New England, specifically. NMM doesn't bring the line into western Mass. until 7 to 8 p.m. with the ARW around 7 p.m. Takes a few hours to drop down towards I-84 and then I-95.

I could see late timing...but then again, with all the s/w in the picture, they could be throwing off model timing as well with storms.

Not sure if I buy the late timing, but it's a complex forecast. Either way, I think we can agree the best target is probably somewhere in NY or western Mass.

Archived