• Created
  • Last Reply

From the NWS.

NWUS51 KCTP 072250
LSRCTP

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
650 PM EDT WED AUG 07 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0640 PM FUNNEL CLOUD 6 NNE JOHNSTOWN 40.41N 78.88W
08/07/2013 CAMBRIA PA TRAINED SPOTTER

FUNNEL CLOUD OBSERVED LOOKING SOUTH FROM MILE HILL ROAD

&&

EVENT NUMBER CTP1300340

$

TYBURSKI

TORNADO WARNING

PAC009-021-111-080000-

/O.NEW.KCTP.TO.W.0007.130807T2313Z-130808T0000Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

713 PM EDT WED AUG 7 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN BEDFORD COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA...

SOUTH CENTRAL CAMBRIA COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA...

NORTHEASTERN SOMERSET COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA...

* UNTIL 800 PM EDT

* AT 710 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THE STORM

CONTAINING THE POSSIBLE TORNADO WAS NEAR DUNLO...MOVING

SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH. AN UNCONFIRMED TORNADO TOUCHDOWN WAS REPORTED

EARLIER WITH THIS STORM IN EAST TAYLOR...NEAR ROUTE 271.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDED IN THE WARNING...

BELMONT...WINDBER...BEAVERDALE...BLUE KNOB STATE PARK...DUNLO...

GEISTOWN...OGLETOWN...OSTERBURG...QUEEN...SCALP LEVEL AND SIDMAN.

OTHER NOTABLE LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING... UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH AT

JOHNSTOWN.

WHEN A TORNADO WARNING IS ISSUED BASED ON DOPPLER RADAR...IT MEANS

THAT STRONG ROTATION HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE STORM. A TORNADO MAY

ALREADY BE ON THE GROUND...OR IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SHORTLY.

THIS WILL IMPACT I-99 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 4 AND 14.

THIS WILL ALSO IMPACT THE FOLLOWING MAJOR ROADS...ROUTE 30...ROUTE

219...ROUTE 220.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER INSIDE NOW. DO NOT WAIT TO SEE OR HEAR THE TORNADO. MOVE

TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST LEVEL OF A STURDY BUILDING. PUT AS

MANY WALLS BETWEEN YOU AND THE OUTSIDE AS YOU CAN. AVOID WINDOWS.

PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

PLEASE REPORT FUNNEL CLOUDS...STRONG WINDS OR WIND DAMAGE TO THE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE THROUGH TWITTER OR

FACEBOOK.

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT

WEDNESDAY EVENING FOR SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA.

&&

LAT...LON 4028 7891 4040 7874 4033 7861 4033 7862

4031 7856 4020 7838 4000 7870

TIME...MOT...LOC 2311Z 316DEG 14KT 4027 7874

OT: Harrisburg won the RBI Senior Workd Series, and the Harrisburg team begins the RBI softball WS today.

Our very own sauss is a coach/volunteer for these teams, congrats to him!

Very exciting for the kids. Hoping they girls can bring home the gold, they are currently 4-0. So far they have beat , Hoboken, Cleveland, Atlanta and Houston. This morning they play the Dominic in a crossover game which doesn't mean anything really. Last year Harrisburg played the Dominic for the Championship, could be a repeat.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130808&content_id=56383390&c_id=mlbcom

Team Photo from the World Series in Minnesota. My daughter is Front row, 2nd from right.

post-1291-0-91284800-1376311333_thumb.jp

Very exciting for the kids. Hoping they girls can bring home the gold, they are currently 4-0. So far they have beat , Hoboken, Cleveland, Atlanta and Houston. This morning they play the Dominic in a crossover game which doesn't mean anything really. Last year Harrisburg played the Dominic for the Championship, could be a repeat.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130808&content_id=56383390&c_id=mlbcom

Team Photo from the World Series in Minnesota. My daughter is Front row, 2nd from right.

Cool stuff, Sauss. 

The cool nights over the past two weeks have really put a damper on the tomatoes and peppers in my garden.  We've harvest maybe 1/4 of the total crop and most of the younger tomatoes are just lingering in limbo.  With another week of cool night and ever lowering sun angle I believe the tomato season will be coming to a close shortly.

The cool nights over the past two weeks have really put a damper on the tomatoes and peppers in my garden.  We've harvest maybe 1/4 of the total crop and most of the younger tomatoes are just lingering in limbo.  With another week of cool night and ever lowering sun angle I believe the tomato season will be coming to a close shortly.

I've noticed that too, my tomato plants seem to be on their way out.

our tomatoes wont ripen on the plant... cut back on how often watering and still won't... the squash/zucchini/cucumber have done really well and has even tried to invade the yard now that the plants have grown so big

our tomatoes wont ripen on the plant... cut back on how often watering and still won't... the squash/zucchini/cucumber have done really well and has even tried to invade the yard now that the plants have grown so big

They will eventually. I wrote about this yesterday: http://wpsu.org/localfoodjourney/comments/why_wont_my_tomatoes_ripen

I've noticed that too, my tomato plants seem to be on their way out.

I get tomatoes right up until frost. 

Tomatoes grow fruit best at temps between 70-85 in daytime and above 55 at night. Once the temperature rises you should both have a second wind with the tomatoes. I think since you've all got a lot of rain recently that's a problem as well. Average time of tomatoes from fruit set to ripe is 50-60 days. 

I get tomatoes right up until frost. 

Tomatoes grow fruit best at temps between 70-85 in daytime and above 55 at night. Once the temperature rises you should both have a second wind with the tomatoes. I think since you've all got a lot of rain recently that's a problem as well. Average time of tomatoes from fruit set to ripe is 50-60 days. 

I've still got a ton on the vine, but I think moisture might be leading to an early demise. I'm not really that disappointed though as I've already harvested enough to last for a while, close to 7 lbs of cherries.

I've still got a ton on the vine, but I think moisture might be leading to an early demise. I'm not really that disappointed though as I've already harvested enough to last for a while, close to 7 lbs of cherries.

That could be. But tomatoes are surprisingly resilient. They could have a late run. At the very end, eve of the first frost, if they have green ones on, pull the plant and hang the entire thing, upside down, in like a side room or shed. Whereever you are allowed to. Some of the tomatoes will ripen. 

We got down to 41.8 here. My pepper plants do not like. 

Archived