• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Medium/Long Range thread

HM

Based on the 8-10 day  500mb means at 12z today, the end of February and the beginning of March look brutal - may be the worst we've seen in quite a while. Even the CPC in honking about this outcome. Also the Euro is predicting that we go into Phase 8.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

814temp.new.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some models have something popping up in the SE next week.  Obviously okay not being bullseyed right now, but given the few storms the SE has had this winter, for lack of better analysis right now, it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen again.  The hope is a second more northern system would come along a few days later if this one can't gain any latitude.

Somebody wake up John Bolaris

lol

He was a good weather reporter over here. It seemed like his life changed when he went to Philly.

As long as it doesn't turn into a repeat of March 1, 1980 for our region.  I remember hearing forecasts the day before calling for a foot of snow in Philly, then the storm dropped a whole inch of snow while going out to sea.

I don't remember that since I wasn't even born. Sounds terrible. Hopefully we all end winter with a big bang.

As long as it doesn't turn into a repeat of March 1, 1980 for our region.  I remember hearing forecasts the day before calling for a foot of snow in Philly, then the storm dropped a whole inch of snow while going out to sea.

i was in 9th grade, little blurry with this one.

I must have been watching Jim O'Brien.

I usually remember the heartbreaks as clearly as the great ones, but, for some reason, I don't remember this one.... and that is probably a good thing.  lol.  The winter of 79/80 was such a disappointment anyway that I had probably already tuned out by the time this storm rolled around.  After two straight blockbuster winters, we started out 1979/80 with 2+" of snow in early October.  My barely-teenaged-brain was convinced we were in for a truly epic winter for the ages..... and, then, things kind of fizzled.  Even with 2" on the books long before Halloween, we ended up with exactly average snowfall for the year.       

Images of March 5, 2001 are dancing in my head. Oh the horror, please no repeats of the epic fail of the century.[/quote

I know people are still hurting from that storm 13 years later, but that could not happen today. Computers are over 10000 times more powerful currently.

strongly disagree.   March 2001 could absolutely happen again.  In fact part of the problem was the hype machine....the models were correcting northward from the 3-5th but the storyline was already out there. 

CMC, 18Z NAM, and GFS all have a northern stream system around monday that looks similar to past events this winter. My guess another minor 2" to 4" event or so.

GFS was showing another small event I guess mid week and then something larger around when Euro is hinting. Stuff to watch for anyway.

Archived