• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Medium/Long Range thread

HM

Yes you are right, he said the pattern supported a block buster event just had to watch the field open up for it.

Correct...and as I mentioned, called to "warn me" 48 hours before the first flakes fell of just how big it would ultimately prove to be! It took most local mets until the day of to start touting the potential.

I believe it was some of the disrespectful posting idiots who raised their ugly heads that chased larry from the forums...does hurricane Schwartz post here any longer?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes you are right, he said the pattern supported a block buster event just had to watch the field open up for it.

Correct...and as I mentioned, called to "warn me" 48 hours before the first flakes fell of just how big it would ultimately prove to be! It took most local mets until the day of to start touting the potential.

I believe it was some of the disrespectful posting idiots who raised their ugly heads that chased larry from the forums...does hurricane Schwartz post here any longer?

rarely, but yes. Usually during a storm.

Amazing how much models have scaled back what was going to be a long lasting severe cold wave the last 24 hours. It's become watered down to ordinary run of the mill january cold. Which is fine and good and all if there isn't going to be snow, but the warmer outlook is staying as dry as the cold one 

Maybe that giant sunspot last week is responsible  ;)

wonder if JB deleted his tweet yet...

live stock frozen in their tracks., pipes bursting everywhere, armageddon ,etc.. 

looks like blowtorch now in late Jan.

gfs_namer_276_10m_wnd_precip.gif

Well, as I mentioned the other day the cold to me looks like ordinary cold and a blow torch would be coming.  Reason why well simply the NAO remains positive so these cold air masses have no staying power.... 

On another note I am getting a bit sick and tired of hearing the "polar vortex" is coming back again... this feature is present yearly think maybe it is time to bring back an old term "Ziberian Express" from the 80s LOL

I guess I am just frustrated and want snow but I think the writing is on the wall January cold days temps in the 20's night time lows in the teens for a week then warmer probably will not be so bad watching the Superbowl at Met Life

On another note the JB tweet well that is a little over the top and certainly for ratings.... slow times ahead Joe ordinary cold then warm, and perhaps another snowstorm shot or two before we close up shop this winter is how I see it.....

I went with 15-23" for the snowfall total at Philadelphia International Airport and well even at 20.2" at the Airport now I am not budging why?

wonder if JB deleted his tweet yet...

live stock frozen in their tracks., pipes bursting everywhere, armageddon ,etc.. 

looks like blowtorch now in late Jan.

gfs_namer_276_10m_wnd_precip.gif

katodog out as nostradamus, enter kevin reilly

the only frozen livestock on that map are in rocky's meat locker 

Amazing how much models have scaled back what was going to be a long lasting severe cold wave the last 24 hours. It's become watered down to ordinary run of the mill january cold. Which is fine and good and all if there isn't going to be snow, but the warmer outlook is staying as dry as the cold one 

Maybe that giant sunspot last week is responsible  ;)

I have noticed a few posters on this board that were talking about an epic pattern have gone into hiding :snowing:

February will be rockin :santa:

Well, as I mentioned the other day the cold to me looks like ordinary cold and a blow torch would be coming.  Reason why well simply the NAO remains positive so these cold air masses have no staying power.... 

On another note I am getting a bit sick and tired of hearing the "polar vortex" is coming back again... this feature is present yearly think maybe it is time to bring back an old term "Ziberian Express" from the 80s LOL

I guess I am just frustrated and want snow but I think the writing is on the wall January cold days temps in the 20's night time lows in the teens for a week then warmer probably will not be so bad watching the Superbowl at Met Life

On another note the JB tweet well that is a little over the top and certainly for ratings.... slow times ahead Joe ordinary cold then warm, and perhaps another snowstorm shot or two before we close up shop this winter is how I see it.....

I went with 15-23" for the snowfall total at Philadelphia International Airport and well even at 20.2" at the Airport now I am not budging why?

This is from the Brookhaven Office from the previous arctic outbreak.  Kind of puts the whole polar vortex into the proper perspective.

post-623-0-94248800-1390144928_thumb.png

So you think Philly doesn't get more than 2.8 inches the rest of the season?  and you think a blowtorch is coming for the northern mid atlantic?

really?

Can we shove this piece down the medias throats and finally shut them up.

The Polar Vortex is needed for....

#1 causing fear / anxiety amongst the uneducated public.

#2 increasing sales at pharmacies and food stores.   ("omg...milk and bread")

#3 selling more newspapers / getting massive hits to websites

#4 fueling views on global warming / climate change.

#5 hmm, what else did I miss.

surely, they'll dream up another crazy term for the summer...whenever there's a long term heatwave. 

Can we shove this piece down the medias throats and finally shut them up.

surely, they'll dream up another crazy term for the summer...whenever there's a long term heatwave. 

Bermuda High?

They're quick to add "deadly" in front of heatwave as soon as an elderly person dies 

Wait...you really think the term "polar vortex" was just dreamed up?

Seriously?

Notwithstanding the risks associated with adverse weather, it's a given (imo) that the news media enjoys a little drama, and the trend has been towards more of that. Here is a newsworthy weather feature that comes pre-named with an impressive sounding name. The hype is irritating, I try to minimize my exposure to it to some degree.

Notwithstanding the risks associated with adverse weather, it's a given (imo) that the news media enjoys a little drama, and the trend has been towards more of that. Here is a newsworthy weather feature that comes pre-named with an impressive sounding name. The hype is irritating, I try to minimize my exposure to it to some degree.

What they did was take an actual meteorology term for something that really does exist (anyone who even just browses this community should be familiar with it) and turn it into a hype tool. It got out of hand, to the point that the Upton NWS office posted an excellent graphic explaining what it is and what it isn't, just to try to settle everyone down. It got to the point where people actually started to believe it was an invented term. I mean, the hype caused people to even question if the polar vortex was real, testament enough to how far out of hand this stuff got.

The term was not dreamed up and has been discussed here for as long as I have been around which is essentially the beginning of TWC boards and WWBB.  Something tells me you know that this is not some fabricated term.

No doubt the term is being co-opted for obvious reasons.

I would add:

#6 Scare Directv and its subscribers into submission. Though WeatherNation does also reference the PV in its forecast, amazing how that works out ;)

#7 Justification for running  "The Day After Tomorrow" to reenforce  to the FUD (queue the pictures of animals flash freezing)

there is going to be some barking and howling going on soon (storms and cold)

If this works out, our start to winter was more about acclimation for the second half. :snowing:

I was becoming a bit concerned over the weekend reading some of the banter and not having time to dig in. I just took a glance at the latest runs on wundermap........yikes.    I remember someone posting about the GFS ( I think it was around 144 or so), maybe it was a DT radio show years ago? Or an old JB video?  I will leave it to the pros on if it is lock and reload.

Pumped for the coastal. Heading back today after a fantastic, snowy and COLD weekend at the cabin.

Archived