• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 24-25 Potential Bomb Part Deux

earthlight

No, climo has a lot to do with accumulations as well. The storm can't change the angle of the sun and the length of the day.

Im certain you know that heavy wall of snow can drop temps 5-8 degrees within a 2-3 hour span. Once snowing 1-2 inches per hour into a cooled column, if storm positioned correctly and intensity markation is met, your point about sun angle is mute. Check back with me at 2pm Monday if the Nam pulls an upset and we can discuss the facts on the ground..Bottom line, logic dictates we go against Nam GGM camp now but If Euro comes North tonight you will wake up to a winter Storm watch & if it maintains Northern solution at 1p tomorrow a WSW would be issued regardless of sun angle and climo. MANY times it has snowed and accumilated the next day following temps in the 70's. Bear in mind that March, thus far, has been significantly below normal Temps wise and that this is the time of the year when sea temps are at their coldest, So if you want to look at various factors must look at factors for as well as against

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, climo has a lot to do with accumulations as well. The storm can't change the angle of the sun and the length of the day.

I agree 100 % climo is just as important as any other ingredient in this storm  - if this was a few weeks ago  we would be talking about larger accumulations for sure - thats why storms over 6 inches are hard to come by this time of year.........

I agree 100 % climo is just as important as any other ingredient in this storm - if this was a few weeks ago we would be talking about larger accumulations for sure - thats why storms over 6 inches are hard to come by this time of year.........

Dude we all knw its not the norm. Nor is it in nov or april. If the right dynsmics r present u will shovel. Its not gona b becaue of sun angle

I thnk cnj is the bullseye

The morning of the blizzard in 1982  it was in low 40`s  in the park at 9 am ( cant find the dam print out ) goin off memory  with light rain fallin with a ESE east wind   that system didnt crash into a cold air mass . We were able to get to 29 during the day because of the deepening of that system  aloft , just like this one is advertised to do .

If you are under an inch of liquid with 850`s at minus 5  and the center is East of AC at 984 , you will not be at 40 degrees  .

Now are we gona be an inch of liquid , thats the question , just not sun angle or time of year .

uncle are you around , can you find it ?

I can't find my local climate data for that year...It won't be near as cold as 1982 was...1982 got down to 22 on 3/28...That's very cold for this time of year...Just before the April blizzard hit a fresh batch of cold air arrived...the AO was slightly positive that day...it was quite positive before and after the storm...13" where I was in Dingmans Ferry PA...temps fell into the upper teens up there in the afternoon...another snow event came on the 9th...There was 2" in the poconos and 1" at Newark Airport...This is why I don't like 1982 as an analog...we have not been as cold and it won't be in the low 20's during the storm...

day...max min precip snow

3/25...59...39.....0.........0

3/26...48...35...0.04".....T

3/27...38...27.....0.........0

3/28...43...22.....0.........0

3/29...56...33.....0.........0

3/30...60...40.....0.........0

3/31...57...47...0.48".....0

4/01...65...46.....0.........0

4/02...58...36.....0.........0

4/03...56...43...1.86".....0

4/04...52...32.....T.........T

4/05...48...27.....0.........0

4/06...41...21...1.11"...9.6"

4/07...30...21.....0.........0

4/08...43...25.....0.........0

4/09...39...34.....T.........T

Im certain you know that heavy wall of snow can drop temps 5-8 degrees within a 2-3 hour span. Once snowing 1-2 inches per hour into a cooled column, if storm positioned correctly and intensity markation is met, your point about sun angle is mute. Check back with me at 2pm Monday if the Nam pulls an upset and we can discuss the facts on the ground..Bottom line, logic dictates we go against Nam GGM camp now but If Euro comes North tonight you will wake up to a winter Storm watch & if it maintains Northern solution at 1p tomorrow a WSW would be issued regardless of sun angle and climo. MANY times it has snowed and accumilated the next day following temps in the 70's. Bear in mind that March, thus far, has been significantly below normal Temps wise and that this is the time of the year when sea temps are at their coldest, So if you want to look at various factors must look at factors for as well as against

What NAM upset do you speak of when it already folded like a cheap suit @ 18z..

I can't find my local climate data for that year...It won't be near as cold as 1982 was...1982 got down to 22 on 3/28...That's very cold for this time of year...Just before the April blizzard hit a fresh batch of cold air arrived...the AO was slightly positive that day...it was quite positive before and after the storm...13" where I was in Dingmans Ferry PA...temps fell into the upper teens up there in the afternoon...another snow event came on the 9th...There was 2" in the poconos and 1" at Newark Airport...This is why I don't like 1982 as an analog...we have not been as cold and it won't be in the low 20's during the storm...

4/01...58...36.....0.........0

Barring a mega volcanic episode, that probably was the last time NYC will see three record lows in a row.

4/6 21 in 1982 23 in 1881 24 in 1887

4/7 21 in 1982 23 in 1881 24 in 1943

4/8 25 in 1982 26 in 1972 28 in 1920+

Fairly sure the GFS was plenty wetter than the NAM was... haha. Watch the NAM come charging back at 0z tho. Just to fold later on.

Maybe if they feed Abilify or Xanax into the NAM it will stop its roller coaster madness! lol..

But in all seriousness I hope those guys down in SNJ get a nice late winter storm. They have been on the outside looking in the whole season..

4/01...58...36.....0.........0

you the man ,

APRIL 6   it started out at 41 after hitting a high of 48 the day before and thats where it started out at 9 am  - with light rain in CPK , look at the prior days

It didnt crash into an  arctic air mass , it was warm before the storm . yes the days that followed were cold , as winds came out of the NW over a ft of snow so it got cold , there no denying that .  But the storm ushered in the air mass . 

If an inch of liquid is dropped over you`re area and 850`s are minus 5 , its not goin to be 40 was my point . Climo or not

I happen to think theres a sharp cut off from CNJ south , unless the ULL can escape  another 75  to100 miles north over the next 2 days .

you the man ,

APRIL 6 it started out at 41 after hitting a high of 48 the day before and thats where it started out at 9 am - with light rain in CPK , look at the prior days

It didnt crash into an arctic air mass , it was warm before the storm . yes the days that followed were cold , as winds came out of the NW over a ft of snow so it got cold , there no denying that . But the storm ushered in the air mass .

If an inch of liquid is dropped over you`re area and 850`s are minus 5 , its not goin to be 40 was my point . Climo or not

I happen to think theres a sharp cut off from CNJ south , unless the ULL can escape another 75 to100 miles north over the next 2 days .

It was definitely below average before the storm with a 48/27 daily. That's more typical of mid-march than the first week of April. Sure the airmass afterward was even more impressive as NYC had -20C 850s which allowed for the sub-freezing high despite the April sun angle.

you the man ,

APRIL 6   it started out at 41 after hitting a high of 48 the day before and thats where it started out at 9 am  - with light rain in CPK , look at the prior days

It didnt crash into a arctic air mass , it was warm before the storm . yes the days that followed were cold , as winds came out of the NW over a ft of snow so it got cold , there no denying that .  But the storm ushered in the air mass . 

I happen to think theres a sharp cut off from CNJ south , unless the ULL can escape  another 75  to100 miles north over the next 2 days .

it was 27 the day before...That's near record cold...It was 41 12am April 6th...temps fell all day...I think it was in the 30's when the precip started...I wasn't in the city...where I was it was all snow...

it was 27 the day before...That's near record cold...It was 41 12am April 6th...temps fell all day...I think it was in the 30's when the precip started...I wasn't in the city...where I was it was all snow...

It was 27 the morning of the 5th - i think it  got to 48 as a high on the 5th . I  remember the  midday temp on the   6th  it was 29 with heavy snow  . I really remember it starting out close to 40 that morning as blizzard warnings went up .

My point was its about dynamics that will determine if we accumulate monday not sun angle etc .

The point is prob lost now anyways , I just think the models tick north with the ULL placement and that will expand the precip field .  That was always my argument .

Another storm another rollercoaster ride with the models. I would not write off anybody in NYC and NJ but Upstate and Conn may be on the fence with this one as it can still go either way. Watch the Nam jump back North Tonight or tomorrow morning. Euro will be interesting later on tonight.

Another storm another rollercoaster ride with the models. I would not write off anybody in NYC and NJ but Upstate and Conn may be on the fence with this one as it can still go either way. Watch the Nam jump back North Tonight or tomorrow morning. Euro will be interesting later on tonight.

The NAM could go south again to miss DC just to end up totally wrong if this was 2 runs from now. I'd pay a lot more attention to the RGEM and the rest of the models tonight. I'm still leaning against this pretty strongly for much of our area. Just seems to be bad luck with this storm. And a minor amount of precip, like 0.10" or so and less in 3 hours won't be accumulating snow because of it being late March. We have to be in the meat of the CCB for it to be accumulating and pounding snow. The rest is either rain/slop or white rain.

Archived