• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

GGEM has little, only .1-.25, although it's the weak outlier and is tossed, the 6z RGEM was much better, probably about .4 for JFK more NE. GFS around .5", NAM .75"(tossed), EURO is slightly less than .5", but close to the GFS. A sensible guess is probably 2-4" for JFK, 5" if everything goes right and radar likes you with the banding. To get more than that, the trough is going to have to be fairly further SW.

Start time probably looks like around 10 PM for the good stuff on the NAM, although I think it might be a little earlier than that, and should go until midday tomorrow.

-skisheep

Can't wait though today I doubt I'll be living on this forum all day LOL

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure the GFS can be trusted.  It's VV profile at 12z (little upward motion over E CT/RI/SE MA) doesn't jive with current radar:

The 6z NAM's precip totals may be out to lunch, but at least it has some -UVV (esp around 850 mb) over LI and SNE currently, closer to reality than the GFS.

attachicon.gifhttp://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=93344'>USA_VVEL_700mb_006.gif

attachicon.gifGFS_VVEL_850mb.gif

Great pick up tues when u threw the sref 700 mb spagetti plots on. Good early call.

Norluns lov NE. Can u see a mesoscale feature expand as far SW that the models seem to think

Great pick up tues when u threw the sref 700 mb spagetti plots on. Good early call.

Norluns lov NE. Can u see a mesoscale feature expand as far SW that the models seem to think

It's not like a traditional NORLUN where it's feast or famine, this is a much larger trough, and brings snow to a large area. if it was a NORLUN i'd be worried, but it's really not..

-skisheep

It's not like a traditional NORLUN where it's feast or famine, this is a much larger trough, and brings snow to a large area. if it was a NORLUN i'd be worried, but it's really not..

-skisheep

You`re in a much better spot than most on the board , However I thnk places in Suffolk county can pick up 6

I just dont think this favors spots from the city on South

You`re in a much better spot than most on the board , However I thnk places in Suffolk county can pick up 6

I just dont think this favors spots from the city on South

I think for NYC this is a slushy 1 to maybe 2 or 3" deal, possibly little as you go west through NJ. And that's if we don't continue to see it trend toward CT, which IMO is still quite possible. It should be colder for this, but again I think we need decent rates to get it to accumulate, especially near the heat island. Out further east especially toward the Long Island snowbelt north of Rt. 25/Jericho Tpke, there could be 4"+.

It's a good sign though that snow showers at least don't look to be quitting from the City east. Maybe the area of lift can stay a little further west to get more of us in on it. But this looks to be another SNE/eastern LI special.

I think for NYC this is a slushy 1 to maybe 2 or 3" deal, possibly little as you go west through NJ. And that's if we don't continue to see it trend toward CT, which IMO is still quite possible. It should be colder for this, but again I think we need decent rates to get it to accumulate, especially near the heat island. Out further east especially toward the Long Island snowbelt north of Rt. 25/Jericho Tpke, there could be 4"+.

It's a good sign though that snow showers at least don't look to be quitting from the City east. Maybe the area of lift can stay a little further west to get more of us in on it. But this looks to be another SNE/eastern LI special.

Yeh and thats what i said yesterday , I can see CPK very little to nothing but the show will throughout Mass , Eastern hudson valley accross CT and maybe getting to the Nassau Suffolk border and East .

Looks like the best lifting is gona be north of us .

It really hit me this morning , If from Dec 1 , I only looked at the Euro I would have gotten so much more work done and prob would have had a 75 perc chance of being right when pp asked me what was goin to happen

Where is this fantasy cold air source coming from? 

From the NAM's fantasy dreams.

Euro at 1am has 34 degrees for NYC.

NAM at 1am has 31 degrees for NYC.

Euro at 7am tomorrow has 32.5 degrees for NYC.

NAM at 7am tomorrow has 29 degrees for NYC.

I'll be happy to see a little snow...NYC needs 1.2" to reach 20" for the season...All those trace events that were coatings are not included...20" will make the season almost mediocre...we got a coating the other night from a storm that backed in like this one is supposed to do...TWT...

Of all the models, RGEM seems to have the best handle and the least flip-flopping.  

My expectation is that Fairfield and New Haven counties in CT and eastern and central Suffolk see 3-6" additional snow (w/ locally higher amounts), while urban NE NJ and Manhattan/Staten Island/Brooklyn are lucky to see 1".   Putnam and n. Westchester county in se NY will likely also do decently - 2-4" w/ locally higher amounts.  SE CT looks like it will be in a snow hole for much of the next 24 hours in between the 2 main bands - I'd expect 1-3" there.

We need to have a new rule: No more NAM model postings. When your model is worse than the NOGAPS, you've got a problem.

While the NAM has been really bad, seemingly every model busted on last night's part of the storm within 24 hrs.

How much of that actually sticks though...warm lower levels will hurt.

In urban areas I think it will be quite difficult, even at night if rates aren't heavy with temps at or just above freezing. There could be a large discrepancy between suburban areas and the city on this. I could honestly see it just being recorded as a trace in some areas if the heavy precip mostly stays over CT and eastern LI. Last night I had high-end light snow for a while and it didn't stick-although tonight should be colder.

Of all the models, RGEM seems to have the best handle and the least flip-flopping.  

My expectation is that Fairfield and New Haven counties in CT and eastern and central Suffolk see 3-6" additional snow (w/ locally higher amounts), while urban NE NJ and Manhattan/Staten Island/Brooklyn are lucky to see 1".   Putnam and n. Westchester county in se NY will likely also do decently - 2-4" w/ locally higher amounts.  SE CT looks like it will be in a snow hole for much of the next 24 hours in between the 2 main bands - I'd expect 1-3" there.

Quite the seasonal trend since late December with the heavier snows from LI up into New England.

Looking at the black and whites of the rgem,

looks like the best banding is north of where the NAM has it and mostly in CT. NYC might catch the southern end of it.

Waiting for the total precip maps to come out to confirm.

looks like the best banding is north of where the NAM has it and mostly in CT. NYC might catch the southern end of it.

Similar to it's 6z run?

-skisheep

It may have that current heavier band better initialized near the Cape than the NAM?

This has been one of the more remarkable storms to forecast, and a humbling one as a forecaster who has seen some pretty wild events at least for being early in a career.

I think the unquestionable trend at this point is to keep the best lift closer to the coast. With the NAM and even RGEM having been a little generous with precipitation totals this entire system, slicing the top 1/3 or 1/4 off the QPF amounts is a safe idea as a forecaster. That falls more in line with the Euro.

The fringes of the best lift could theoretically get to NYC. But that rate of precipitation and poor snow growth means light, non accumulating snow. My forecast will call for T-1" from Newark eastward. Over Central and Northeast Nassau, and much of interior (specifically northern) Suffolk county, the potential for 2-5" and up to 6" exists. These upper level lows and inverted troughs love to linger bands over certain areas and this could meander around for a while.

Hope you all are enjoying watching and tracking the storm even if you're not getting snow out of it. And hopefully some of you are learning from it. If nothing else, meteorology is a hobby that offers a new and different challenge with each system..you can never get too comfortable and you can never stop learning.

Archived