Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the black and whites of the rgem,

looks like the best banding is north of where the NAM has it and mostly in CT. NYC might catch the southern end of it.

Waiting for the total precip maps to come out to confirm.

Not encouraging. If you're west of the Sagtikos, I would expect very little and be happy if it produced more than a couple of slushy inches.

I agree wiith earthlite t - 1 or 2 inches is probably the best we can do. Its nice to see snow falling and the wind whipping it around. Last year it was 65 degrees and thats sounding better every day.

Absolutely. After this fiasco of a storm I'm ready to just end this whole thing. Time for scantily-dressed female season. :)

I agree wiith earthlite t - 1 or 2 inches is probably the best we can do. Its nice to see snow falling and the wind whipping it around. Last year it was 65 degrees and thats sounding better every day.

it will be hard for us to get that mild with the AO/NAO both negative and forecast to get lower later on in the month...Temperatures will probably end up below average this month...April could start out cold also...I think this storm is not the last one this season...

At the end of the day , the one thing we all begged for this year was a NEG NAO but a neg 3- 4 SD below normal hurt us in the end . It trapped the ULL and created the confluence that allowed the end around resulting in a dual max QPF ..

This this just happened to be the latitude it picked to meander East . These models just had a very complex calculation to equate

I think the Euro had the shunt East first , the GFS has the dual QPF max 1st Sunday nite and the short range picked the trough out first .

However I think NCEP has to realize the NAM has a real QPF output problem and should consider tweaking it a bit .

Just to show you how absurd the NAM has become. Look at the 2 total snow maps from each model from the same exact run, with the same exact initialization info.

12z NAM total snow:

SN_000-084_0000.gif

12z RGEM total snow:

SN_000-048_0000.gif 

Once the GFS figured out that this wasn't t going to be a big hit like it was showing on Monday it did fairly very well.

It also nailed the rainfall amounts with the storm last week.

The GFS got to the solution the wrong way however. It clearly suffered from feedback issues for numerous runs. Us getting shafted was the result of the ULL trending south, not too much convection. A real shame too because the boundary layer last night wasn't a problem at all unlike down around DC.

Once the GFS figured out that this wasn't t going to be a bit hit like it was showing on Monday it fairly very well.

Agree . We all suffer from a Boxing day model fiasco hangover . Think we all chase the one last minute opportunity that the models swing back with a homerun .

Even the most level headed people can get sucked into a bad solution .When local offices that are filled with some of the smartest guys around get sucked in no one should feel bad about buying this stuff .

How would you like to b the person down in DC that made the call to close up yesterday . Now thats a bad day .

This is largely a non event for most of NYC metro. If you really, really want snow to accumulate at 34 - it will not. For just about every system this entire winter, the storms have delivered about 60% of the qpf forecast. Last night was an exception in that most go squat. But good luck to all anyway.

On the RGEM, are temps an issue keeping snow down, or is QPF that is the issue? If it's temps, the RGEM is known for running warm, so add a few mm to it.

-skisheep

Both. Precip is light and the temps are above freezing.

Precip type maps are rain by 9am.

Agree . We all suffer from a Boxing day model fiasco hangover . Think we all chase the one last minute opportunity that the models swing back with a homerun .

Even the most level headed people can get sucked into a bad solution .When local offices that are filled with some of the smartest guys around get sucked in no one should feel bad about buying this stuff .

How would you like to b the person down in DC that made the call to close up yesterday . Now thats a bad day .

We tend to do better in situations when the Euro locks into a more amplified early and holds serve, while the GFS

stays suppressed right up until near the event. The GFS can sometimes beat the Euro precip amounts in a situation

like last week when they are both in good agreement on the storm track.

Both. Precip is light and the temps are above freezing.

Precip type maps are rain by 9am.

once again, we get screwed at the last second... This wasn't an event for alot of people here, but, until 12z, every single model gave me an advisory event minimum, and it's about to go byebye... Fully expect the EURO to shift east at 1.

-skisheep

once again, we get screwed at the last second... This wasn't an event for alot of people here, but, until 12z, every single model gave me an advisory event minimum, and it's about to go byebye... Fully expect the EURO to shift east at 1.

-skisheep

Hey. We still have the great NAM and all their various companions (srefs, arw, nmm, 4km, etc.)

LOL.

I thought this one really had a chance because it finally broke the back of the crazy progressive pattern we've had to put up with and the deep/rich moisture available. Instead, this storm was the absolute worst of both worlds-both developing too soon and too late. It was impressive (but warm) for DC, and is impressive again for eastern New England. The low stacked and the dynamics lessened as it approached us, and yet it developed too late due to another wave coming to interact with the low too late and re-firing it to our NE. This inverted trough looks to be the final slap in the face late tonight by being too far NE. This utter fail summarizes the winter to a T other than our huge luck on 2/8.

Hey. We still have the great NAM and all their various companions (srefs, arw, nmm, 4km, etc.)

LOL.

LOL indeed...

SREF's haven't been as crazy as the NAM, they have been holding at around .5" for the trough for a while now. I wouldn't autotoss them the same way I would the NAM.

Despite the complaints on the GFS, it's still 3-5" for me, has about .4" of liquid and we should be close to 10-1. For those in the heat island, however, you are out of luck, it's sprinkles for you.

-skisheep

LOL indeed...

SREF's haven't been as crazy as the NAM, they have been holding at around .5" for the trough for a while now. I wouldn't autotoss them the same way I would the NAM.

Despite the complaints on the GFS, it's still 3-5" for me, has about .4" of liquid and we should be close to 10-1. For those in the heat island, however, you are out of luck, it's sprinkles for you.

-skisheep

The SREFs have become much more unstable since the upgrade which brought the ARW and NMM members. The ETA and RSM members were ancient, but it seems that the ARW and NMM additions make them almost as unstable as the NAM, despite having a mean of 12+ members.

LOL indeed...

-skisheep

But like I said, the GFS is above freezing for the whole event on the soundings for BDR.

Gets close to freezing by 7am.

The SREFs have become much more unstable since the upgrade which brought the ARW and NMM members. The ETA and RSM members were ancient, but it seems that the ARW and NMM additions make them almost as unstable as the NAM, despite having a mean of 12+ members.

This. Exactly.

ARW and NMM members are pretty much amped up versions of the NAM and are useless.

This. Exactly.

ARW and NMM members are pretty much amped up versions of the NAM and are useless.

I've seen at least half of them produce blizzards with every single winter storm set up at some point this year. The SREF used to be a very useful tool but at this point, after having to analyze them in detail and adjust for biases of the ARW and NMM members makes them almost irrelevant. They were producing 1.5" QPF at 24 hours ahead of this system....just like the NAM.

Archived