• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Front-End Potentials 2/22-2/23 and 2/26-27

HM

The other element on the soundings that no one has mentioned yet is the "seeder feeder" possibility, esp. for folks to our south who benefit from the 700mb s/w. The moist layer way up there in cirrus land could help produce snowflakes.

I definitely think there will be some suprises tomorrow from m/d line on south. Models always kill the precip to fast. Its like the late january event? Where models killed it oast mdt but majority of the area got 1-3 inches of snow. That was the friday it took adam an hr 15 to go 5 miles lol.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dew point at TTN is 13 degrees F. Will take some major WAA is scour this out. NWS predicting 20F tonite but it may go lower with the winds calming. 

Significant precip isn't likely to arrive (unless the juicy 12Z NAM was right) until Saturday morning.  Till then its piddly dribbles.

I'm liking your optimism for the Mid Atlantic (NC to MD). The soundings are going to look funny with this one because if you don't have ample lift, it will appear to be an icy sounding or even rain down there. But, snow will be made, I think, properly with a shot of decent VVs...especially during the first half of the event. In between bands or convective showers, yeah snowflakes won't be made properly or temps will warm aloft and precip type changes.

Yeah and maybe this ends up being a situation similar to what ray mentioned in part 1 of 1/26/11, where the models severely underestimate what is capable of reaching the ground..I remember you teaching me a little sounding lesson after that one with VV's in a ertain layer of the atmosphere...then again, that was a winter where like tony mentioned, you get a low within 500 miles of you and it finds a way to snow (central NJ on northeast in that winter)

Ah, yeah that makes more sense.  :lol:  I WISH I had flown back for that one, but work prevented it...  The best storms at TTN over the last 6 years have been when I was on midnight shifts and had no realistic way of getting off work (2/10/10 and 1/26/11), so if that trend holds you can expect the next potential big one to be sometime between March 5th and March 12th :axe:

ahh true I remember you missing a lot of the big ones of late, but also recall you nailing a return for one of the better ones too. I'll never forget waking up at midnight during part 2 of 1/26-27/11, thinking i was going to be able to drive into work after that one was finished. It was the heaviest snow ive seen, measured 8" in a 2 hour period as i was trying to get a head start at shoveling...my street wasnt plowed until noon the next day..2nd worst that winter to the boxing day storm.

Those bigger mercer county hits have been fewer and further between than the lucky monmouth county of late..its been downrght ridiculous how many 10"+ snows there have been here, many of which have managed to spare further west areas. 11 storms 10"+ since 12/30/2000 in holmdel to be exact...a few more in the 7-10 inch range. I missed about half of those by the way

ahh true I remember you missing a lot of the big ones of late, but also recall you nailing a return for one of the better ones too. I'll never forget waking up at midnight during part 2 of 1/26-27/11, thinking i was going to be able to drive into work after that one was finished. It was the heaviest snow ive seen, measured 8" in a 2 hour period as i was trying to get a head start at shoveling...my street wasnt plowed until noon the next day..2nd worst that winter to the boxing day storm.

I made trips for 12/19/2009, 2/6/2010, 2/25/2010, and 10/29/2011.  I just happened to be home for Christmas at the same time as 12/26/2010, so that wasn't a special trip, just luck.  Out of all those I was around for, I actually consider 10/29/2011 to be the most successful trip, being a tricky situation with the rain/snow line forecast to be so close to TTN but also borderline historic.  I ended up giving it better than 50% odds of an historic October event (2.6" or more qualified) and made the trip.  Ended up with 3.2" and the biggest TTN snowfall in October on record ("unofficially" since no official records are kept any longer).  So, just based on its historicness, I think that was the best call I ever made.

For 12/19/2009 I wanted at least 10".  I just *barely* got that (exactly 10") so it was marginally successful.  I wanted to see more than that for the trip on 2/6/2010, and ended up with 10.4", so that was also just barely "successful".  However, it was painful to be forced to return for work on 2/8 and look back as they got 17.6" on 2/10... I still look back at that event and cringe about how I just missed it.  After missing that, I really wanted to see a big dump on 2/25, but only had 8.2", so I considered that trip a failure... if I had known they'd get ripped off like that I would've stayed in Elko.  I was hoping Boxing Day would make up for it but TTN was also relatively ripped off... EWR had over 24" and even PHL had more than 12", but TTN just barely squeaked out 10.1". If I hadn't been around already and had made a special trip for Boxing Day, I'm not sure I would've been happy with the results.  I (and of course many others) underestimated 1/26/2011 and thus I probably wouldn't have planned to head back for that one, so its probably just as well I was working mids anyway.  It might've been worse to be sitting at my apartment here in Elko and watch them get plastered, digesting the fact that I could've made the trip but didn't.  TTN had 15.2" on 1/26/2011 so like I mentioned, the second best (behind 2/10/10) since I've been out here in Elko.

I'm out on the barrier islands this morning but got a chance to lol at the last few posts. My medium range forecast and storm match were a fail but at least my short term "meh" was better. Haha

I made trips for 12/19/2009, 2/6/2010, 2/25/2010, and 10/29/2011.  I just happened to be home for Christmas at the same time as 12/26/2010, so that wasn't a special trip, just luck.  Out of all those I was around for, I actually consider 10/29/2011 to be the most successful trip, being a tricky situation with the rain/snow line forecast to be so close to TTN but also borderline historic.  I ended up giving it better than 50% odds of an historic October event (2.6" or more qualified) and made the trip.  Ended up with 3.2" and the biggest TTN snowfall in October on record ("unofficially" since no official records are kept any longer).  So, just based on its historicness, I think that was the best call I ever made.

For 12/19/2009 I wanted at least 10".  I just *barely* got that (exactly 10") so it was marginally successful.  I wanted to see more than that for the trip on 2/6/2010, and ended up with 10.4", so that was also just barely "successful".  However, it was painful to be forced to return for work on 2/8 and look back as they got 17.6" on 2/10... I still look back at that event and cringe about how I just missed it.  After missing that, I really wanted to see a big dump on 2/25, but only had 8.2", so I considered that trip a failure... if I had known they'd get ripped off like that I would've stayed in Elko.  I was hoping Boxing Day would make up for it but TTN was also relatively ripped off... EWR had over 24" and even PHL had more than 12", but TTN just barely squeaked out 10.1". If I hadn't been around already and had made a special trip for Boxing Day, I'm not sure I would've been happy with the results.  I (and of course many others) underestimated 1/26/2011 and thus I probably wouldn't have planned to head back for that one, so its probably just as well I was working mids anyway.  It might've been worse to be sitting at my apartment here in Elko and watch them get plastered, digesting the fact that I could've made the trip but didn't.  TTN had 15.2" on 1/26/2011 so like I mentioned, the second best (behind 2/10/10) since I've been out here in Elko.

That snowicane in late Feb 2010 was a frustrating and perplexing one for me as well. If you recall, we absolutely had the qpf amounts further east in monmouth county. It snowed heavily the entire day but it was 33º. Picked up a quick 5" in the morning and then it just stopped accumulating, even on existing snowpack lol..I ended the daytime with pretty much the same amount as NYC ~6". Then the colder part of the storm happened overnight, and for whatever reason, i only managed another 6" with that while NYC somehow tallied up their total to 20". i also was home with mono, sooo yeah lol. 

That snowicane in late Feb 2010 was a frustrating and perplexing one for me as well. If you recall, we absolutely had the qpf amounts further east in monmouth county. It snowed heavily the entire day but it was 33º. Picked up a quick 5" in the morning and then it just stopped accumulating, even on existing snowpack lol..I ended the daytime with pretty much the same amount as NYC ~6". Then the colder part of the storm happened overnight, and for whatever reason, i only managed another 6" with that while NYC somehow tallied up their total to 20". i also was home with mono, sooo yeah lol. 

Oh yeah I do remember how it changed over but never got down to freezing.  Painful. 

Archived