• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Front-End Potentials 2/22-2/23 and 2/26-27

HM

General pattern match techniques (poorly done haha) for late Feb into early Mar bring up the following years (most are a stretch and I may be missing some):

1952, 1958, 1959 (slow), 1960 (meh), 1966, 1969, 1975 (meh), 1977, 1981, 1987, 1993, 1994 (terrible pac), 1996 (briefly), 1998, 1999, 2004, 2007 and 2010.

Surprisingly, you don't have to go back too far in time to find a storm setup like what's being modeled on 2/21-22. The amazing match happened in 2007 on 2/25-27. Assuming the NWP is somewhat close to reality, the match at 500mb is pretty remarkable...

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2007/us0225.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2007/us0226.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2007/us0227.php

This is what it did around here:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2007/25-Feb-07.html

It seems like our upcoming situation will have more cold to work with but both 2007 and this year have very similar things going on. If this match has any merit, this will clearly be the best threat for the Mid Atlantic yet (esp. DC area).

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General pattern match techniques (poorly done haha) for late Feb into early Mar bring up the following years (most are a stretch and I may be missing some):

1952, 1958, 1959 (slow), 1960 (meh), 1966, 1969, 1975 (meh), 1977, 1981, 1987, 1993, 1994 (terrible pac), 1996 (briefly), 1998, 1999, 2004, 2007 and 2010.

Surprisingly, you don't have to go back too far in time to find a storm setup like what's being modeled on 2/21-22. The amazing match happened in 2007 on 2/25-27. Assuming the NWP is somewhat close to reality, the match at 500mb is pretty remarkable...

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2007/us0225.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2007/us0226.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2007/us0227.php

This is what it did around here:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2007/25-Feb-07.html

It seems like our upcoming situation will have more cold to work with but both 2007 and this year have very similar things going on. If this match has any merit, this will clearly be the best threat for the Mid Atlantic yet (esp. DC area).

nice post...we love that storm here...thanks for bringing it up....It is the 1/25/00 version we always bring up when something thumps us and is supposed to change over....Of course it never changed over here.  just 4-5" of heavy wet daytime snow that stuck everywhere.  Howard called it...said we would never change over before it shut off and he was right...models had us mixing/changing over....always loved that 500mb map

nice post...we love that storm here...thanks for bringing it up....It is the 1/25/00 version we always bring up when something thumps us and is supposed to change over....Of course it never changed over here.  just 4-5" of heavy wet daytime snow that stuck everywhere.  Howard called it...said we would never change over before it shut off and he was right...models had us mixing/changing over....always loved that 500mb map

Thanks. I was looking for some feedback on your area. The models of course are going to change but the main players involved with 2/21-22 seem to link up pretty well with 2007. All of the other years had these general features at one time or another from Feb 20-Mar 10 but none looked as good as 07. It is just an unusual setup!

Thanks. I was looking for some feedback on your area. The models of course are going to change but the main players involved with 2/21-22 seem to link up pretty well with 2007. All of the other years had these general features at one time or another from Feb 20-Mar 10 but none looked as good as 07. It is just an unusual setup!

here is your feedback...4.25" of midday wet paste...

feb07.jpg

Hi, HM...I've occasionally followed your posts and ideas, and appreciate your insight.  Good stuff.

Question on next week's possible system.  Are you concerned about this just turning into a sheared out mess with little or nothing in the end?  The models (GFS especially, I think) have been showing that now for a few cycles since yesterday afternoon.  There's been tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth in the Mid-Atlantic forum (where I usually hang out, since I'm from that region) over this.  I think regardless of how things go, we could be in for a commuting disaster on Friday morning.  Even with the relatively light precip, the 2-m temps verbatim are below freezing through much of the morning.  And as everyone knows, it doesn't take much.

Oh, and I really liked that Feb. 25, 2007 event!  A nice surprise, when it looked like we'd get mostly ice then rain.  I got ~5" in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of DC, it was very picturesque with snow sticking to everything.

Growing consensus for a threat in the February 28-March 3rd time frame? I know its far away, but I honestly think its the closest legit snow threat for our area. It doesn't look perfect of course, but fwiw...

1) EURO OP: The EURO has been very inconsistent from Day 7+, but this setup here is borderline. We have a pretty good low in the south. There is a low in SE Canada. It acts as a cold reinforcement, question would be though if it would be strong enough to get enough cold air possible. What I like about the shortwave in the south compared to the few ones before it is that it isn't wrapping up before it heads east as the others have. It still has a semi positive tilt to it. It will change tonight of course...

post-8091-0-19672000-1361225361_thumb.gi

2) 12z GFS individual ENS: I like to look at these to see if the threat is real or not. As you can see almost all of the ensembles have some kind of storm on the East coast & some of them have some good cold air in place

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/12zf240.html

**3) The best sign IMO is the Day 10 EURO ens mean from today. This is potentially the best setup we've had this year being shown here.

post-8091-0-81872600-1361225621_thumb.gi

thanks HM....always love the balance of realistic expectations and the further potential in your thoughts....as for the "beyond" how far out do you think we should watch for this scenario? Thanks

Sorry for the late response. I appreciate that and try to keep things close to "real" as possible (even if I'm being accused now of "broad-brushing" LR threats, haha). As you are probably aware, the threat period extended a bit beyond the dates through about 2/25 or so as southern waves undercut the blocking. Once this feature is gone, that potential will reduce somewhat for a while.

The ECMWF remains adamant about a coastal storm capable of bringing the interior accumulation. Keep in mind that the 2007 event was also modeled pretty warm, as was for a lot of us. This is a very complicated setup.

Hi, HM...I've occasionally followed your posts and ideas, and appreciate your insight.  Good stuff.

Question on next week's possible system.  Are you concerned about this just turning into a sheared out mess with little or nothing in the end?  The models (GFS especially, I think) have been showing that now for a few cycles since yesterday afternoon.  There's been tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth in the Mid-Atlantic forum (where I usually hang out, since I'm from that region) over this.  I think regardless of how things go, we could be in for a commuting disaster on Friday morning.  Even with the relatively light precip, the 2-m temps verbatim are below freezing through much of the morning.  And as everyone knows, it doesn't take much.

Oh, and I really liked that Feb. 25, 2007 event!  A nice surprise, when it looked like we'd get mostly ice then rain.  I got ~5" in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of DC, it was very picturesque with snow sticking to everything.

It is always a concern things will be too warm or too sheared etc. The models seemed to express the possibility over the weekend but have recently come back to a coastal storm scenario. With a borderline "cutoff" low sitting in the Upper Midwest, another piece of "energy" rounding the base of the trough will have to initiate cyclogenesis...not the original wave. This will help the "trapped energy" to escape around the block. Interior looks to do better than the coastal plain in terms of wintry potential but we'll have to watch for dynamical cooling out of something like this.

Archived