joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Potential Winter Storm Part II

earthlight

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll answer that with a question. How often is the Euro dead wrong at 48hrs?

It was pretty wrong with this last storm at 48 for alot of areas, completely missed the accumulating snow over PA for the most part and was wrong up here as well, we had a dry nose that screwed us but there was plenty of precipitation even up into the Hudson valley, the Euro pretty much blew that event severely, the warm boundary layer for most of the region made it seem to verify better than it actually did.  I'm not sure our chances of having be wrong twice, but in this case if it is off  and the GFS/GEM are correct its not off by a whole lot, maybe 100 miles.

I'll answer that with a question. How often is the Euro dead wrong at 48hrs?

Rarely, but the trends of tonight needs to be taken into account as well. To answer lisnow, I would say the beat bet at this point is to wait for future runs, especially since this is still roughly 48 hours away and as has been seen all winter, this pattern has been giving all the models trouble. The 00z suite essentially is showing us that a potential is on the table, but without a 50/50 there's a potential to swing wide right. This is where wait and see becomes torture. By the way, it will be interesting to see the ensemble mean for the Euro.

Basically only 2 of the GEFS members are east of the Op and maybe 1 of those 2 is even close to the Euro, this is really bad agreement between the models for the 2nd storm in a row inside 3 days.

I hear several are showing huge hits for the coast ... is that true (I'm on my cell at the firehouse)?

Basically only 2 of the GEFS members are east of the Op and maybe 1 of those 2 is even close to the Euro, this is really bad agreement between the models for the 2nd storm in a row inside 3 days.

Everyone knows how this story ends. 12z GFS tommorow will make or break this event, it is never wrong within 24 hours at least in regards to large scale features.

Everyone knows how this story ends. 12z GFS tommorow will make or break this event, it is never wrong within 24 hours at least in regards to large scale features.

This event is a mess, the models do not know which area to key in on for the surface low at all.  Its possible any one of them could be correct.

How many show moderate to big hits for our area?

My estimate is three moderate hits and four significant.  None of them are really major hits, but getting close.  The rest are light or complete misses.  The QPF, especially on the individual ensemble members, is still of only minor significance.  Synoptically we are on the fringe of all of them.  If a setup evolves similar to the GFS, and even the GGEM, it will be a close call as to whether the area sees significant snow. 

This has to come further west to get good snows locally.  E LI and SNE is in a better position.  The GFS is a western outlier in the 0z cycle.

Archived