joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Potential Winter Storm Part II

earthlight

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is accumulating snow for just north of NYC the whole time, as surface temps are 29-32.5.

For NYC it's snowing, but the surface hovers at 33-35 until the last couple hours, where it drops to 31.

Lol I know i was being facetious bc storm at sea assumes none of us can read a map. It was very clearly above (albeit slightly) freezing at the surface on the nam and below on the euro ( as you've confirmed)

Lol I know i was being facetious bc storm at sea assumes none of us can read a map. It was very clearly above (albeit slightly) freezing at the surface on the nam and below on the euro ( as you've confirmed)

Euro is below 32 for JUST north and west of NYC.

NYC and the coast has surface issues, but nothing crazy. Starts at 35-36 and drops to 32.

Before anyone gets excited about the 12z first wave precip, it's warm as hell. It's now going to accumulate with BL temps like that.

It's not "warm as hell" away from the coast.

For example: BDR is 32.1 degrees at 7am and 32.8 at 1pm and 29 degrees at 7pm.

Lets hope this snow is the real deal on the nam, might be the only show in town for the entire region...........i will take a couple inches!

You are in good shape Joe.

Both the euro and nam give you a couple inches with surface temps 32 or below. Euro is colder then the NAM also.

You are in good shape Joe.

Both the euro and nam give you a couple inches with surface temps 32 or below. Euro is colder then the NAM also.

Ironically, this snow that we all see might be the only game in town..........and we look to be in a good spot as of now, of course that can change but like I said yesterday, there are many ways to get some snow this weekend.  I think everyone should be happy what the Nam just showed!

1st wave is .25 - NYC east but the BL looks like crud ...Second wave looks right at 12z which is east of its 6z . That EC trough axis looks right with a western ridge line running from eastern Wyoming down thru central Texas that maybe too far EAST to keep a SLP tucked in . So a WHIFF on the 2nd wave kinda looks right too me .

Yeah I have no idea what he is talking about? 

And it's not "warm as hell" for NYC either.

At 1am, surface is 36 degrees in NYC with .05" of precip fallen.

At 7am, surface is 32.2 degrees in NYC with .17" of precip fallen.

SAT  1A 16-FEB   2.4    -5.0    1015      98      88    0.05     540     528 

SAT  7A 16-FEB   0.2    -6.2    1014      96      83    0.17     536     526   

And it's not "warm as hell" for NYC either.

At 1am, surface is 36 degrees in NYC with .05" of precip fallen.

At 7am, surface is 32.2 degrees in NYC with .17" of precip fallen.

SAT  1A 16-FEB   2.4    -5.0    1015      98      88    0.05     540     528 

SAT  7A 16-FEB   0.2    -6.2    1014      96      83    0.17     536     526   

Well I think his post was dramatic, but the general idea that the snow won't accumulate on most surfaces is probably correct. Additionally the 4km hi res NAM shows  precipitation starts as rain near the coast. The light nature of the precipitation rates wont help either -- we saw this the other day.

Well I think his post was dramatic, but the general idea that the snow won't accumulate on most surfaces is probably correct. Additionally the 4km hi res NAM shows  precipitation starts as rain near the coast. The light nature of the precipitation rates wont help either -- we saw this the other day.

Soundings support rain for an hour or 2. Followed by a few hours of wet snow. It wont accumulate in the middle of Manhattan, but it will in parts of the boroughs and especially north and west.

9z and 12z soundings easily support snow and accumulating also; especially on grass and non-paved surfaces.

Soundings support rain for an hour or 2. Followed by a few hours of wet snow. It wont accumulate in the middle of Manhattan, but it will in parts of the boroughs and especially north and west.

9z and 12z soundings easily support snow and accumulating also; especialyl on grass and non-paved surfaces.

Instead of debating between the Euro, NAM and GFS...after the Canadian upgrades I think at this point I'll just wait for your text message regarding the 12z RGEM and call it a day

Instead of debating between the Euro, NAM and GFS...after the Canadian upgrades I think at this point I'll just wait for your text message regarding the 12z RGEM and call it a day

I am kind of disappointed in the GGEM run yesterday that showed the heavier qpf after they spent all that money on the upgrade.

The RGEM had the right idea 18z yesterday coming into better agreement with the available guidance.

SREFs don't look good. Very little precip breaking out from the first wave (MAYBE a coating), and 2nd wave is too far east. Eastern Long Island maybe an inch or so and eastern newcengland maybe a few

They ran off of 6z data, and a signficant number of their members are parts of the 6z NAM, so often when the NAM is bad, it's bad as well. Not expecting much from it, and it's record this year has not been stellar to say the least.

-skisheep

SREFs don't look good. Very little precip breaking out from the first wave (MAYBE a coating), and 2nd wave is too far east. Eastern Long Island maybe an inch or so and eastern newcengland maybe a few

They may be having difficulty keying in on which vort to blow up. Key here being that while a middle solution is possible, I think a solution like the nam or euro is more likely. Precip overnight into tomorrow could drop a coating to an inch or 2 esp in the burbs...with the big one deepening way too far east for anyone to get in the game. I'd like to see what the rest of the 12z model suite has to say though

Archived