• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Potential Winter Storm Part II

earthlight

This sounds like hyperbole, but I think it's totally correct.  A quick look at the upper level panels on the UK, GGEM, and even the GFS shows this is a close call for a major snowstorm from NJ to Maine.  Chances still have to be considered low for such an event, but it's really not that far off as currently modeled.

The 12z Euro is a bit of a downer, because it's not very similar to the rest of the guidance and the furthest from big snows.  Although at 48hours it's not very different than the UK, but diverges noticeably thereafter.  The Euro ensembles will offer a big clue I think.  If we can hold this trend through 18z I will start to get excited.

Agree. It's not that we're short on time...I think the Euro trending more amplified was a pretty huge step at 12z, despite the fact that it didn't quite get to the level of the GFS/GGEM/UK. This is not an NCEP QPF issue like the last system, either...so I don't think it's smart to compare the two.

We're one more amplified trend away from seeing the development of a really awesome QPF increase essentially from Trenton on north and east...which, given the upper level jet dynamics, could feature some significant snowfall amounts.

The 18z runs will be pretty exciting today -- I would like to see some more amplified SREF members, the NAM trend more amplified, and the GFS hold. But I'm sure we'll start finding out a lot more about whether or not this threat has teeth by 00z tonight.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. It's not that we're short on time...I think the Euro trending more amplified was a pretty huge step at 12z, despite the fact that it didn't quite get to the level of the GFS/GGEM/UK. This is not an NCEP QPF issue like the last system, either...so I don't think it's smart to compare the two.

We're one more amplified trend away from seeing the development of a really awesome QPF increase essentially from Trenton on north and east...which, given the upper level jet dynamics, could feature some significant snowfall amounts.

The 18z runs will be pretty exciting today -- I would like to see some more amplified SREF members, the NAM trend more amplified, and the GFS hold. But I'm sure we'll start finding out a lot more about whether or not this threat has teeth by 00z tonight.

Agreed, 0z tonight will be real telling

very nice analysis - definitely makes me more confident than I was...thanks.

very nice analysis - definitely makes me more confident than I was...thanks.

It's still possible (probably more likely than not) that this ends up being a whiff at least generally speaking. But the orientation of the trough pretty much suggests that we'll at least see a period of light to moderate snow as the vortmax swings by. If you're looking for the bigger solution...we still need one or two ticks more amplified/farther west. But it's mouth watering to see how close it is at this point.

I said a few days ago that it looked fantastic...but it was almost as if somebody picked up an ideal setup, and moved it 100 miles too far east, and put it down. So I hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the end now that we're looking at more amplified solutions.

I agree. I want to wait and see what the 0Z Euro does before pulling the trigger, but it wouldn't tack much

of a westward shift for this to be a significant event. The storm could  possibly bomb closer to the coast

with the very warm SST's and a 160 kt jet exit region over the coastal waters.

Here's a little illustration to help visualize what I mean. You can see the trough axis with the dotted yellow line. Given the height field and orientation of the upper levels with the closed contours over the Great Lakes...you would want the neutral/neg tilted trough to be where the solid yellow line is..near the MS river. As it is, it works on the GFS because a surface low develops close enough to the coast to work underneath the good jet dynamics and produce moderate precipitation. But it could come even farther west if the shortwave would hit the trough base where the solid yellow line is, and then eject northeast. That's when we'd start talking about bomb-type solutions. We haven't seen any model show this yet, so I don't think the probability of that happening is very high at all. Just speculation at this point..

post-6-0-36983400-1360870065_thumb.png

Murph, qpf maps won't tell as much as H5 you can't just look at them.... And Anthony, you can't just discount the euro. It's been the best model, but the fact that it's on it's own for the most part may signal it's not correct but based on its track record........

agreed about qpf, however, as is typical, certain people are only discounting the euro because it is not showing a snowstorm, and for no other reason. If the euro was the only one showing it, they would buy it hook line and sinker and it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. We saw another example of this back when the euro was the only model showing last weekend's storm, the same people that are throwing out the euro thought it was great and bought it lock stock and barrel and the gfs sucked, now of course the gfs is great and you can throw the euro out. You can see the pattern clear as day

I agree. I want to wait and see what the 0Z Euro does before pulling the trigger, but it wouldn't tack much

of a westward shift for this to be a significant event. The storm could  possibly bomb closer to the coast

with the very warm SST's and a 160 kt jet exit region over the coastal waters.

attachicon.gifGFS_3_2013021412_F60_WSPD_300_MB.png

attachicon.gifanoma.2.14.2013.gif

I agree it certainly has potential, but also has so much potential to be nothing if things are poorly timed/spaced. Hard to say which way to lean, but if the 12z trend towards more amplified continues later, we could be looking at a major storm that finally nails people who didn't get much from the storm a week ago. Hope, hope, hope...

Man has this been awesome with all the different storms we're able to track this season, and every storm had a different set-up. Trend is our friend #1 rule, this is coming west tonight I think, but that doesn't mean it won't shift back east tomorrow. I'll keep reading and learning from the great insight provided by our great posters. :D good luck to all

I agree it certainly has potential, but also has so much potential to be nothing if things are poorly timed/spaced. Hard to say which way to lean, but if the 12z trend towards more amplified continues later, we could be looking at a major storm that finally nails people who didn't get much from the storm a week ago. Hope, hope, hope...

That's why I am waiting for the 0Z Euro before  making a first guess. If it is going to be more impressive, then the next run of the

Euro will have a good handle on it.

That's why I am waiting for the 0Z Euro before  making a first guess. If it is going to be more impressive, then the next run of the

Euro will have a good handle on it.

It'll be interesting to see if the ensembles lean in any direction different than the op

Often times, surface improvements seem to lag improvements at H5. I would not be surprised at all, especially considering the upgraded GGEM is showing a good solution, that the Euro comes around at 0z. 

This could be a good early test for the upgraded Canadian. Yesterday, it was in lockstep with the Euro. Today, it diverged.

Someone mentioned the JMA earlier...

http://grib2.com/jma/CONUS_JMA_500_GPHTMPVORT_72HR.gif

It definitely looks more like the GFS/GGEM/UK than the Euro.  QPF isn't extremely heavy, but that's not critical at this point.

Totally. People have a huge QPF fetish on this forum, but given that we are still a couple of days away, seeing the upper level dynamics and great instability to support lift and precipitation is more important. 

It's still possible (probably more likely than not) that this ends up being a whiff at least generally speaking. But the orientation of the trough pretty much suggests that we'll at least see a period of light to moderate snow as the vortmax swings by. If you're looking for the bigger solution...we still need one or two ticks more amplified/farther west. But it's mouth watering to see how close it is at this point.

I said a few days ago that it looked fantastic...but it was almost as if somebody picked up an ideal setup, and moved it 100 miles too far east, and put it down. So I hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the end now that we're looking at more amplified solutions.

yeah, i agree about the placement of the trough...hopefully it sets up a bit further west/amplified

Totally. People have a huge QPF fetish on this forum, but given that we are still a couple of days away, seeing the upper level dynamics and great instability to support lift and precipitation is more important. 

I keep thinking we are further away than we are.  As modeled, precip moves in overnight tomorrow. 

If everything breaks right, we could be looking at a 24hour event.  If not, just a few hours of light rain/flurries.

I keep thinking we are further away than we are.  As modeled, precip moves in overnight tomorrow. 

If everything breaks right, we could be looking at a 24hour event.  If not, just a few hours of light rain/flurries.

Eh, precipitation doesn't really start until 48 hours on most of the 15z SREF members. We've still got a small window to work with here.

Archived