• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Feb 13: The little storm that could (for some)

Ian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob Chill can watch this quick video as he watches for the 00z Euro to bow to the GFS

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50742243#50742243

I find this video misleading. Correct me if I am wrong, but does computing power actually depend on the number of atmospheric observations being made? Technically both models are taking snap-shots of the atmosphere, but maybe the EURO does take more of them within the same time frames. As with Sandy, didn't at least one of the GFS runs show a possible landfall before the EURO was even within range? Ensemble means FTW

I find this video misleading. Correct me if I am wrong, but does computing power actually depend on the number of atmospheric observations being made? Technically both models are taking snap-shots of the atmosphere, but maybe the EURO does take more of them within the same time frames. As with Sandy, didn't at least one of the GFS runs show a possible landfall before the EURO was even within range? Ensemble means FTW

the video was a gross way to simplify the use of 4DVar in the ECMWF. Thats what they mean by slicing the atmosphere. That and data assimilation.

im worried now...this is the euro's wheelhouse...if we are going to get snow it should show us getting punched in the gut by now

So you think it is highly unlikely that its usual bias of holding back energy is unlikely because we are within 72 hours and that usually happens farther out?.

Archived