Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
So what the hell happened with the GFS?

Mr. Windcredible!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS did have that nice QPF blob over LI extending north so it saw something. It also hinted at the more progressive pattern..otherwise the Cape snow they had on Saturday would ahve been ours in ern MA. So it wasn't it's greatest performance by any means..but it did hint at some thing that occurred.

It's all how you use guidance. Even the lousier performing model like the GFS hinted at a more progressive situation which blended in with the aggressive models...gave you a great forecast.

When you look at the GFS QPF output...taking into consideration the further NNW ML track it was pretty good.  Oceanwx up at GYX made the point about the MLs...looking at it, shift that NW 100 miles and it's pretty much what happened.

I'm still bummed it was a little more progressive and that the Euro missed that.  Only because the snows we had here Saturday would have been 100 miles west, the band just off PTown all day would have been over me and EMA...and we all would have had the #1 storm.

Lack of computing power is a crap excuse IMO when you consider Moore's law, so it's good to hear about upgrades taking place.  

Well the computing power is there, but the question is can we afford it. Obviously that answer is yes, but the problem is that there is very little support to invest in computing power when it is seen as adequate right now.

There are also issues with effect use of resources. The ECMWF prefers to go with two op runs a day, in order to have more time to devote to a superior ensemble product. 51 members uses a lot of the time and resources.

The end result is that we have some adequate models, but we are not leading the pack by any means.

Well the computing power is there, but the question is can we afford it. Obviously that answer is yes, but the problem is that there is very little support to invest in computing power when it is seen as adequate right now.

There are also issues with effect use of resources. The ECMWF prefers to go with two op runs a day, in order to have more time to devote to a superior ensemble product. 51 members uses a lot of the time and resources.

The end result is that we have some adequate models, but we are not leading the pack by any means.

Also it appears that the EC is offsetting at least some of the cost by selling access to the results (I lack of detailed knowledge on this).  If the only return is an improved forecast, it's harder to quantify vs. direct fees.  I'd imagine improved GFS forecasts would have significant monetary value, it's difficult/impossible to calculate though.

The way I see it, this winter the GFS has performed similar to the last 5 years of Patriot's football - owned the regular season and then lose in the playoffs.  ...so to speak.

The operational GFS scored repeatedly better than the operataional ECMWF for well over a month's worth of middle and extended ranges, during a time which was ear-marked by anomalously fast, progressive flow.   The flow characteristic situated perfectly into the GFS native bias, which happens to be longitudinal in nature.

But ... slow the flow down even a little, which is what/when the recent blizzard took advantage, and even down to the last second the GFS screwed the pooch and tried to "stretch"/speed up the system too much.  It's like within one hour of ingesting data it takes off like a hare and tries run the flow up England's arse - woh woh woooah, nice shootin' tex! 

It's so annoying too - it's so patently obvious that the GFS has this stretching speed up bias; why isn't fixed?   Maybe it is an emergent property that cannot be resolved by tweaking physics;  in other words, the physics are clad,  they need better input data.   Hm, interesting. 

• 4 weeks later...

Can we at least say the GFS had the original N idea in the day 5-7 range?  The Euro latched on in the day 3-4 range.

I'm going to borrow a post from DT on facebook. I think the GFS was "right" in the 5-7 day range by accident, synoptically it was very wrong (so was the Euro in that time frame)

From Facebook... Here's what DT had to say in response to someone who made a similar argument, and I agree with DT:

First the operational GFS and the GFS ensemble mean took the coastal Low across southeastern Virginia and the Delmarva and that in turn bought the snow EARLY into Philly NYC CT and New England. But that did not happen. The GFS was saying that the snow would advance up from Washington, DC Maryland and Virginia which of course did not happen. 

Instead the Low stayed south.. and turned NE very late which is why the heavy precip did NOT move into NJ NYC and Philly yesterday 

You are suggesting that because the GFS had the snow first via a track which did not occur that the GFS should get credit. Sorry I dont follow that at all . In addition as people in New Jersey Philadelphia New York will tell you yesterday and no significant snow fell so the GFS was early and should not get points for that either.

As I stated in my last forecast for New England it is the upper level shortwave... dropping through the Great Lakes over the middle Atlantic states which has caused the coastal Low to turn northeast close to Cape Cod and bring in a heavy snow back into New England and southeastern interior New York. The snow has come in FROM east driving westward towards the Hudson River Valley and New York City ... and not from the south.

http://www.facebook.com/WxRisk?fref=ts

how about we just do both?

this shouldn't be an either/or scenario.

Because we don't have the money for both. Let the money we have go into something we have a better understanding with..like atmospheric science to help save lives and property. The climate change stuff can stay in the private sector or university funding...AKA UAH.

Because we don't have the money for both. Let the money we have go into something we have a better understanding with..like atmospheric science to help save lives and property. The climate change stuff can stay in the private sector or university funding...AKA UAH.

we do have money to do both...NOAA gets an absolute pittance of tax payer money. 

Moving forward I suggest that removing the title and time (in effect) not knowing which model is which. Sure would remove the debate of which is the best. Ah, that would be the EURO in many aspects but not always. Be easier watching trends and middle blend "all them together"

Yeah model bias plays a major roll in formulating a forecast. Model hugging is never a good idea, proven again and again.

Hi, Cliff. Two points:

- First, when you plot the capacity for Titan, is that the whole machine or just the allocation granted to NOAA? The machine is not a dedicated climate machine, but is also to be used for nuclear reactor design, superconductivity, and other DOE projects. Also, although we at GFDL (NOAA's climate modeling center) have been granted an allocation on Titan, we can't make much use of it! Much of the new upgrades to Titan are Graphical Processing Units (GPUs) which our current models cannot make use of. Already DOE has expended a significant amount of resources to make one of NCAR's new climate models to run on a GPU system...and the version GPU version is already lagging behind the scientific development of the traditional CPU version.

ahh...looks like the article made climate change research the boogie man. 

we do have money to do both...NOAA gets an absolute pittance of tax payer money. 

Well not the way NOAA puts it and from what I hear. That gets into another issue though..so not going there.

I'm not an NCEP basher because those guys and ESRL have developed some good mesoscale models. Some of the money has gone into that...and we've made great strides with modeling convection. I don't think the UK has anything close to the mesoscale models we have, but I could be wrong.

Well not the way NOAA puts it and from what I hear. That gets into another issue though..so not going there.

I'm not an NCEP basher because those guys and ESRL have developed some good mesoscale models. Some of the money has gone into that...and we've made great strides with modeling convection. I don't think the UK has anything close to the mesoscale models we have, but I could be wrong.

what do u mean?  NOAA says they get plenty of money from the government?

Can we at least say the GFS had the original N idea in the day 5-7 range?  The Euro latched on in the day 3-4 range.

Agreed, the GFS actually beat the EURO with the overall setup in the beginning, but, when it came to the endgame, they couldn't get it done. Tip's Patriots analogy works very well for the GFS and this storm...

-skisheep

well yeah I don't agree with that but that has to do with the politicians and the general public not NOAA's allocation of resources.

It just sounds like the way the money is being allocated...we don't have the money for developing something similar to what the ECMWF have in terms of computing power. That's what I mean by not getting into the details because politics are involved unfortunately. I do think the GFS stuff is flying in the face of the good developments in modeling that NCEP and ESRL has done regarding short term hi res models.

It just sounds like the way the money is being allocated...we don't have the money for developing something similar to what the ECMWF have in terms of computing power. That's what I mean by not getting into the details because politics are involved unfortunately. I do think the GFS stuff is flying in the face of the good developments in modeling that NCEP and ESRL has done regarding short term hi res models.

ECMWF has a tremendous amount of money because it's privately funded.  I'm not sure it's even reasonable to hope that we can get to ecmwf level with government funding. 

I just don't see how climate change is a real issue with this...since the NWS gets more money than that branch...and that article was dismantled to some degree since those computers are not really computers devoted to climate change...they have many other jobs as well....as I posted earlier.

Not only did the GFS Nail this storm, this storm WAS the GFS's.  Yes when it got to the middle range, it fell apart, but that's not its strongpoint.  

Which is why I'm so confused at why I was so bullish on this storm about 12" - 20" solidly from Monday on and hardly anyone else was.  The GFS had this on Saturday night (Video to prove and I had NEVER EVER Filmed myself looking at a model, and I caught the biggest surprise ever and Called it!  Cause I said "could be the biggest surprise") and when the Best Long Term model has something no one else does, go with it, then in the middle range the EURO latched on to a big hit.  It was primed for a big hit.  

This was a huge coup to the GFS.  Basically 96-120 hours out.  We just have to realize it is the best for long term, and not much else.  

Archived