• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Potential Storm 2/17-2/19

Snow_Miser

Please do not look too deep into specific low placement on these runs at 120-144 hrs out! The only thing to keep in mind is the potential for something huge to take place, the details are far from being accurate or reality with these runs. 

Wait a few days and then we'll get a clearer picture. Think of these runs as the beginning to solving a 100 piece puzzle, more will be solved as we get closer. 

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UKIE would be much better for us all... just wish i could get how it magically picks up a 983 L over the BM at 144... 120 shows a weak low way down in the GOM... is that the low it picks up? Or is it a Miller B from the clipper in N IL/S WI?

That's the thing too...pattern becomes very convoluted because while we have a full latitude trough we have various s/w's rotating around in addition to the PV potentially dropping down. It seems like its one low but it's nearly impossible to tell

By the way, I hope nobody is hoping for a triple phaser like March 1993 because we wouldn't get all snow. The track of such a monster would very likely be too far inland and pull in warmer air causing a sleet or rainstorm for part of the time. 

However a fully phased southern and northern stream in a highly amplified full latitude trough that will draw massive amounts of energy from various source regions is a completely different story and it's one I'm leaning towards. 

I just finished looking at the operational GFS, seemed like it set us up for at least four potential winter storms over the course of the run. Great pattern with some high latitude blocking developing as well.

WX/PT

Hey PT. So do you tend to believe the GFS or do you think the EURO needs to be on board or perhaps it already is? This wed/thurs threat is not supported by the EURO (as of now before 0z run) yet GFS says it is very much a threat. Just wondering your thoughts as you often sniff out patterns.

Hey PT. So do you tend to believe the GFS or do you think the EURO needs to be on board or perhaps it already is? This wed/thurs threat is not supported by the EURO (as of now before 0z run) yet GFS says it is very much a threat. Just wondering your thoughts as you often sniff out patterns.

I think ultimately, the Euro probably has to be on board and I suspect it might be by tonight or tomorrow.

WX/PT

But the trough ridge and negative NAO combined make it so that if there is a defined low off coast, it will potentially ride coast and hopefully give us another powerful nor'easter come Sunday morning. General timeline is sat nite low would develop off coast and by early Sunday hopefully south of benchmark

GFS has a 968mb low off Asbury Park at 150 hrs! Snow just northwest of NYC.  Deepens it to 964mb at 153 hrs over Long Island with snow for Western Long Island, NYC and all of NJ at that point. It took a track across south Jersey.  Deepens it to 960mb over eastern New England at 156 hrs, still snowing throughout our area.

Don't the models go beserk between the 16th-26th.?   Looks like a corridor of 30" snow totals from various events in that period from DC into Maine

.http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2013&model_mm=02&model_dd=11&model_init_hh=06&fhour=264&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Next 11 days, possible total snowfall.

Archived