Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
OBSERVATIONS ONLY : "The Storm They Couldn't Punt" 2/8-2/9

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still snowing at Flemington, NJ.  Haven't had any mixing yet.  Got a question for Ray.  How is visibility measured?  How far awat you can see lights.  I assume it is geared toward aviation.

pick a location that you the distance of. Like say if you are looking into the horizon and you know a place that is a mile away. If you can't see that you are under a mile.

Still snowing at Flemington, NJ.  Haven't had any mixing yet.  Got a question for Ray.  How is visibility measured?  How far awat you can see lights.  I assume it is geared toward aviation.

At night I think that's how they do it.  During the day its how far you can see structures, I think.  Of course, that's the manual method; the automated equipment actually uses a forward scatter flash lamp to see how much light is reflected off of its intended path; the more light reflected, the lower the visibility.

At night I think that's how they do it.  During the day its how far you can see structures, I think.  Of course, that's the manual method; the automated equipment actually uses a forward scatter flash lamp to see how much light is reflected off of its intended path; the more light reflected, the lower the visibility.

Thanks.  Wanted to make sure not to irritate you with light vs. moderate, vs heavy.

BTW, Tony Gigi (Rainshadow) actually did this at the NYC area airports back in the day, so he's really the person to ask.  I never did that for a living (though it would've been cool).

Archived