Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
OBSERVATIONS ONLY : "The Storm They Couldn't Punt" 2/8-2/9

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, I don't recall anyone discussing much how ratios actually played into this storm now that its said and done (there was discussion leading up to it of course)...  probably because that's hard to do in this storm with CoCoRaHS since it rained first and their data is a 24-hour total ending usually around 7AM.  COOP has the same issue. 

That being said, and its probably not worth too much given the lack of comparative data, but my parents snow:water ratio was 16:1 after midnight... 2.8" snow with 0.17" water.

Realized I should post my total here, as I'm in the Mt. Holly CWA.  Final tally in Metuchen was 10.5".  Here's a few details I posted in the NYC forum...

Best snow in at least 2 years.  Went out around 1:00 am to shovel and it took me about 90 minutes and by the time I was done, there was another 2.5" where I had shoveled!  My measurement at 2:30 am was 9.0" of gorgeous, light, fluffy, highly crystalline, low moisture content snow.  Some of the heaviest snow I've seen in awhile with true 1/4 mile visibility for the last 30 minutes I was out there (in the last 30 minutes an inch fell).   Then, I fell asleep around 4:00 am, woke up around 7:00 am and went outside and measured a final tally of 10.5" in numerous spots.  Nice storm. 

BTW, I don't recall anyone discussing much how ratios actually played into this storm now that its said and done (there was discussion leading up to it of course)...  probably because that's hard to do in this storm with CoCoRaHS since it rained first and their data is a 24-hour total ending usually around 7AM.  COOP has the same issue. 

That being said, and its probably not worth too much given the lack of comparative data, but my parents snow:water ratio was 16:1 after midnight... 2.8" snow with 0.17" water.

That makes a lot sense. I melted 8.2" (including .3 IP) and came up with .84 liquid. I was expecting the total ratio to be a lot lower considering the sleet, needles and groupel that fell for several inches.

Spent the weekend up at Hunter Mtn where they received 10" of powder during the blizzard, and just got back to Stamford, CT today where they received 19"..Just west of the death band, but a great storm nonetheless. Seasonal total has leaped over the 30" mark while 25 mins down the road at Bridgeport they are now at 49" ! 

Spoke to the parents in Holmdel and my dad measured 9.5" on average. ..Seasonal total there is now 18.4"

Archived