• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

Shades of 1978 with that.  I remember Ella Grasso doing the same thing--I think it was for four days.  I reember all the National guard trucks and equipment coming through to clear snow for days and days.  Those were the good old days when they could just dumpt the snow in the river.

Yeah he's deploying the National Guard now.. This is stuff you read about in weenie books

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
   MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0127   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0307 AM CST SAT FEB 09 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...CT/RI/MA/NH TO COASTAL MAINE      CONCERNING...BLIZZARD       VALID 090907Z - 091330Z      SUMMARY...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE ACROSS PORTIONS OF NEW   ENGLAND...ESPECIALLY RI/EASTERN CT AND CENTRAL/EASTERN MA TO   SOUTHEAST NH/COASTAL MAINE...THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING HOURS   /12-15Z/. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-2 IN/HR WILL REMAIN COMMON WITH   LOCALIZED RATES TO 3 IN/HR...ALTHOUGH THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL   BEGIN TO TAPER BY DAYBREAK ACROSS WESTERN/SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND.   SIGNIFICANT NORTH/NORTHEAST WINDS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO BLIZZARD   CONDITIONS WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.      DISCUSSION...PER SATELLITE/SURFACE ANALYSIS...AN APPROXIMATE 974 MB   SURFACE LOW IS CENTERED AROUND 80 MILES TO THE EAST-SOUTHEAST OF   CAPE COD MA AS OF 09Z. A WELL-EVIDENT ROUGHLY 50-MILE WIDE CORRIDOR   OF VERY HEAVY SNOWFALL CONTINUES TO OCCUR IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE   DEFORMATION BAND/FRONTOGENETIC ZONE ON THE IMMEDIATE NORTHWEST   PERIPHERY OF THIS CYCLONE. SINCE 0730Z...MEASURED WIND GUSTS TO   50-60 KT HAVE BEEN NOTED AT A NUMBER OF OBSERVATION STATIONS   INCLUDING FRYEBERG MAINE...BOSTON/LOGAN...AND MARTHAS   VINEYARD...WITH A 67 KT WIND GUST MEASURED AT NANTUCKET MA AT 0722Z.   WITH WSR-88D VWP DATA FROM BOSTON/TAUNTON AND GRAY MAINE SAMPLING   55-70 KT NORTH-NORTHEASTERLY WINDS WITHIN THE LOWEST 1-2 KT...A   SIMILAR POTENTIAL FOR VERY STRONG 50+ KT WIND GUSTS WILL ESPECIALLY   PERSIST THIS MORNING ACROSS EASTERN PORTIONS OF MA/SOUTHEAST   NH/MAINE.       CURRENT TRENDS/SHORT-TERM GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THAT THE DEFORMATION   BAND AND ASSOCIATED HEAVIEST SNOWFALL THROUGH 12Z-15Z WILL CONTINUE   TO SHIFT EASTWARD ACROSS FAR EASTERN PORTIONS OF CT/MA AND   RI...WHILE OTHERWISE PERSISTING ACROSS SOUTHEAST NH/COASTAL MAINE. A   GENERAL TREND OF GRADUALLY WARMING CLOUD TOPS HAS BEEN NOTED OVER   THE PAST FEW HOURS IN IR SATELLITE IMAGERY...BUT EVEN SO...SNOWFALL   RATES OF 1-3 IN/HR WILL REMAIN POSSIBLE THIS MORNING. FARTHER   WEST/SOUTHWEST...SNOWFALL RATES ARE EXPECTED TO STEADILY TAPER   THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING HOURS ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF MA/CT/LONG   ISLAND.      ..GUYER.. 02/09/2013

35+?   :weenie:

Congrats, Scott--if you're going to break the drought, do it in style!

Have you gotten any measurements?  I'm not really sure how to get anything resemlbing accurate here, so out there I'm sure it's near impossiible.

Love seeing those New Haven County  reports from midnight.  Also, really wish I were living back up on the mid-Coast today!

Congrats, Scott--if you're going to break the drought, do it in style!

Have you gotten any measurements?  I'm not really sure how to get anything resemlbing accurate here, so out there I'm sure it's near impossiible.

Love seeing those New Haven County  reports from midnight.  Also, really wish I were living back up on the mid-Coast today!

Impossible. 5-6' next to almost nothing, My guess is 2'+

They will for money. 

Fatherhood has made Scott cynical.  Parenting has amazing effects on all aspects of life.  :)

From what I could see on radar last night around 9:00p.m., I would not be surprised if they had 3'.  But, like you said, it's impossible to get an accurate measurement from this.  My guess is 18-20" here from various eyebaling,, but man, who the hell knows.

Run of the mill stuff I guess

Tolland Firefighters Iaff

It's crazy out there even the snowmobiles are getting stuck. Thanks to the national guard who came out to help us. If it wasn't for you guys idk how we would have gotten back! Glad to be back at the firehouse, what a crazy 3 hrs that was!

Tolland can't do anything right with winter so not shocking.

Archived