Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

70 mph wind gusts and 3 feet of snow on the GFS for Boston pinch.png

Look how sharp the gradient is between that low and the high in Canada. It would be an epic scenario for them, for sure. Pending the Euro, really thinking we may have something here. I doubt we get the kind of snow Boston gets, but most of us could have a good few hours at least as the low really gets cranking.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro and GFS now close off the 500mb low at the same time (06z Saturday). However, the Euro does it in Maryland, and the GFS pretty much does it right over our heads.

My concern in this regard stems from the Euros poor handling of the N stream in a few events this year. If it's too energetic with that feature and backs off today, the playing field changes.

The Euro and GFS now close off the 500mb low at the same time (06z Saturday). However, the Euro does it in Maryland, and the GFS pretty much does it right over our heads. 

and that there is a difference between an all snow event and what we see on the GFS. A compromise between the two would probably be a beautiful event too.

That will be the difference between a widespread areal 1-3 feet of snow from the NYC to Boston/SNE and what the gfs shows right now. 

My concern in this regard stems from the Euros poor handling of the N stream in a few events this year. If it's too energetic with that feature and backs off today, the playing field changes.

Right. But we are in a pesudo split flow regime, which I think plays into the Euro's strengths a bit more. Plus, there is energy diving into the western states which pumps up the ridge to begin with, and I'd think the Euro would be handling that better than other guidance -- it always seems to handle that better than other guidance.

Plus, all other guidance keeps trending stronger with the northern stream. I wouldn't be surprised if the Euro backed off today, but I'd be much more surprised if the GFS was done trending with its northern stream digging. 

one thing I've noticed is that while models (minus the euro) have persistently indicated this in the least a rain to heavy snow event, the GGEM, UK and GFS (and I guess NAM as well to a degree) have all been trending more or less to the northern stream s/w digging more and an earlier phase. I wonder if this trend continues? 

Which makes at least 1 foot difference in total accumliations because of the later phase.right?

Most likely. Though I'd be inclined to think that the GFS might be a bit snowier than what its verbatim thermal profiles would indicate, as it may not have the resolution to handle dynamic and evaporational cooling from heavy precipitation. If we have heavy precipitation and are 850s are around 0, our sounding will most likely become isothermal, and a change over might occur quicker than we think. 

Agree. Euro must hold serve from 0z or if possible even improve it's depiction for us to be snowier than what the GFS and now it seems the GGEM depicts.

and that there is a difference between an all snow event and what we see on the GFS. A compromise between the two would probably be a beautiful event too.

Yeah, you definitely gladly take the compromise. Which is why I'm much more enthused after seeing the 12z GFS. It has continued to trend towards the Euro, making me believe it is somewhat realistic for a compromise to actually occur. 

What I should say is that now that the GFS has made this shift, a compromise between the Euro and GFS is a very snowy solution, whereas previously, a compromise between the Euro and GFS was not a very snowy solution. 

Agree. Euro must hold serve from 0z or if possible even improve it's depiction for us to be snowier than what the GFS and now it seems the GGEM depicts.

I'd think even a slightly watered down version would be okay, considering how rapidly the other guidance is shifting the northern stream energy southward. 

A couple of degrees cooler on the 850-surface temps as the low bombs would likely double the snowfall output on the GFS, which is doable in my opinion due to the strong high, and dynamics. The NAM would likely handle this better but it phased later.

Right. But we are in a pesudo split flow regime, which I think plays into the Euro's strengths a bit more. Plus, there is energy diving into the western states which pumps up the ridge to begin with, and I'd think the Euro would be handling that better than other guidance -- it always seems to handle that better than other guidance.

Plus, all other guidance keeps trending stronger with the northern stream. I wouldn't be surprised if the Euro backed off today, but I'd be much more surprised if the GFS was done trending with its northern stream digging. 

This right there is why I am hugging the Euro hard in this situation. Excellent point.

Archived