12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 8th-9th Potential Significant Coastal Storm

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'78 peaked at 984mb near the BM. Also the Euro depiction had a 978 low or so with a 1038 in central Quebec...its pretty close when take into account the distance the high was in '78.

It doesn't work that way.  It's about ambient pressure field.  The 984 back then took place in a deeper cage.  That's just not arguable.  That sucker had a much more powerful integrated storm energy than that Euro run - trust me. 

It doesn't work that way.  It's about ambient pressure field.  The 984 back then took place in a deeper cage.  That's just not arguable.  That sucker had a much more powerful integrated storm energy than that Euro run - trust me. 

I don't, lol...sorry...Euro had a ridiculous PG...the high is closer on the Euro than in '78 so its close. Closer than I think you give it credit for. But I digress, its a moot point since we are unlikely to see that solution verify anyway.

That's not what I was referring to, I'm talking about the pressure falls/gradient over SNE.

And the '78 sfc cyclone was not at it's maximum depth near the Benchmark.

Actually, Will ... although 1978 had more integrated storm energy, I do see your point that the proximity of the high might make the "impact" seem comparable.  The total gradient is not the same though.  No it's not. 

Is there like a max wind product put out by the Euro?

Actually, Will ... although 1978 had more integrated storm energy, I do see your point that the proximity of the high might make the "impact" seem comparable.  The total gradient is not the same though.  No it's not. 

Not sure it's really a max wind product (if you are meaning gusts), but Wundermaps does have a product that shows sustained sfc winds (usually off the water in this part of the country, inland areas can expect stronger than depicted here) in kts.

96 hrs (tying into my severe interests, I like how the strong wind signature there looks like a supercell with a hook echo):

picture2pbt.png

There is a 10 meter gust product every six hours on the AccuWx Euro PPV, along with a sustained 10 meter wind product, how I knew the Outer Cape had sustained hurricane force winds on the 12Z Euro.  I assume the 10 meter max gust product is the highest gust during the previous six hours.

Not sure it's really a max wind product (if you are meaning gusts), but Wundermaps does have a product that shows sustained sfc winds (usually off the water in this part of the country, inland areas can expect stronger than depicted here) in kts.

96 hrs (tying into my severe interests, I like how the strong wind signature there looks like a supercell with a hook echo):

Yeah that's a fascinating signature there - does look like a bloated meso. You know ... one wonders, do pulse bombs do this at this "meso-beta" scale, in taking on a larger physicality of their smaller cousins, because this type of deepening rapidity happens faster than the Coriolis parameter's time integrated effect on the system.   Wow, that's a fascinating question for this particular nerd... 

It's also interesting that the most meaningful wind does impact the coast in normal trajectory. In 1978, the winds were fierce farther west.  

I recall 2.5" runs on the Euro in that storm down there, but never something like 3.6"...the NAM was giving that though, lol. Maybe there was a Euro run that gave that much, but I didn't recall it.

There was a 3.0 run in there. Our ratios were not good for the storm. Just normal but ton of qpf

Because the late 80s and early 90s sucked.

SNE is like NS without the steroids...  1978 was probably comparable to the countless maritime bombs over the decades - jesus 2000 had so many!  None here.  But once in a blue moon, you get one of those stem-winder New Fundland deals, just SE of ACK.   1978 was just such a storm.  There was one in the 1960s like that.. 972mb low with severe thunderstorm winds actually inland.  

Archived