Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 15-MOrch possible wintry threats

tombo82685

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people said the same thing about this storm too and we were way too warm all day for this light snow to stick

Warlock, where abouts are you in Belle mead?  I cant be more than 5-8 miles away...granted I have a bit of elevation, but I have 1.25" of snow pasted everywhere, including blacktop.  It snowed hard, very hard for a time last night around here.  You got only light snow that didn't stick?

Warlock, where abouts are you in Belle mead?  I cant be more than 5-8 miles away...granted I have a bit of elevation, but I have 1.25" of snow pasted everywhere, including blacktop.  It snowed hard, very hard for a time last night around here.  You got only light snow that didn't stick?

right off of 206 basically the Montgomery/Hillsborough border, the only thing it stuck to were car roofs and grass...half inch total tops. Except for like a 5 minute burst most of the time it was just too late to do anything but melt upon contact

The declining NAO index / Heather A. signal certainly favors a high impact precip event for much of the Northeast 2/21-22. As the Pacific state alters, more areal coverage of the winter storm is likely since the storm will first occlude over the Midwest. This is very fascinating because usually we don't see that underneath a -NAO setup (which is something to note).

There is probably a few things to note about next week:

1. The Pacific wave train should continue and it is possible the next wave speeds up into the West, deamplifying the Midwest trough a bit. Obviously, the modeling is all over the place with how the next set of waves interact over the West 2/22-2/25.

2. With a strong storm this weekend, the system early next week could trend weaker causing headaches with how the blocking will manifest. GFS tried to undercut but failed on 12z run.

3. Interesting how this time we are going to see what happens when the WHOLE trough comes out instead of it breaking off a wave (2/8 storm).

Also, let me just, for the sake of hype (lol), say this:

If the NAO can become more defined than what, say, the GFS portrays, I am prepared to up the probability of a KU storm in our area. At this time, I am holding the idea from yesterday and still favoring something "sub KU levels" for our area but notable/significant (like a 6-12" type of snow).

Between the next set of Pac waves and NAO, there is definitely a chance this entire things trends more south and east initially before it jumps to the coast.

If the NAO can become more defined than what, say, the GFS portrays, I am prepared to up the probability of a KU storm in our area. At this time, I am holding the idea from yesterday and still favoring something "sub KU levels" for our area but notable/significant (like a 6-12" type of snow).

Between the next set of Pac waves and NAO, there is definitely a chance this entire things trends more south and east initially before it jumps to the coast.

Let the hype begin!!!! ha ha ha Thanks HM!

HM, i posted something yesterday. But that mid week storm still seems odd to me. Granted the gfs has cooled off. But i just don't see how you plow a storm into that 50/50 low especially if the storm this weekend goes nuts, and not re develop it south. Not saying it's a snow situation for us.

Thanks for the update. The amplitude of the W Coast wave does have me worried.

Let the hype begin!!!! ha ha ha Thanks HM!

Lol yep! Let's enjoy the last few real threats of winter 2012-13.

HM, i posted something yesterday. But that mid week storm still seems odd to me. Granted the gfs has cooled off. But i just don't see how you plow a storm into that 50/50 low especially if the storm this weekend goes nuts, and not re develop it south. Not saying it's a snow situation for us.

The problem with the mid-week system is that it is a fuller-scale wave, hooked up with the Arctic Jet (and even polar vortex). It is going to be hard to get this thing to the coast.

Lol yep! Let's enjoy the last few real threats of winter 2012-13.

The problem with the mid-week system is that it is a fuller-scale wave, hooked up with the Arctic Jet (and even polar vortex). It is going to be hard to get this thing to the coast.

Yea, their is no doubts in my mind that storm cuts, but i was thinking it tries to redevelop another low further south. Not saying its a snow storm for us but a colder storm. This is what i was thinking, ggem shows it pretty well.

f132.gif

f138.gif

Yea, their is no doubts in my mind that storm cuts, but i was thinking it tries to redevelop another low further south. Not saying its a snow storm for us but a colder storm. This is what i was thinking, ggem shows it pretty well.

f132.gif

f138.gif

Oh yes that is doable if this weekend's event can wrap up significantly and be slow to pull away. Both the GFS and GGEM have that wave on the southern end of the trough amplifying early next week. In the GGEM's case, the slower 50-50 allows the southern wave to amplify more east.

The declining NAO index / Heather A. signal certainly favors a high impact precip event for much of the Northeast 2/21-22. As the Pacific state alters, more areal coverage of the winter storm is likely since the storm will first occlude over the Midwest. This is very fascinating because usually we don't see that underneath a -NAO setup (which is something to note).

There is probably a few things to note about next week:

1. The Pacific wave train should continue and it is possible the next wave speeds up into the West, deamplifying the Midwest trough a bit. Obviously, the modeling is all over the place with how the next set of waves interact over the West 2/22-2/25.

2. With a strong storm this weekend, the system early next week could trend weaker causing headaches with how the blocking will manifest. GFS tried to undercut but failed on 12z run.

3. Interesting how this time we are going to see what happens when the WHOLE trough comes out instead of it breaking off a wave (2/8 storm).

I was thinking yesterday, where the hell is Tip with his posts on how a "true heather A. is when the -nao declines and not when it's rising positive"..

gonna be a clsoe call for the mid-atl on this one...what else is new

I’m expecting adam to swoop in with a #climo on this comment any minute now

Here's the 0z EURO ensembles:

sa4avuse.jpg

Pretty hefty blocking up in the Atlantic maritimes:

5a4uja7e.jpg

Pefect placement of a block and subsequent 50-50 block:

240:

7y4u3yhy.jpg

Shows a redevelopment just east of 40. That would be a dry slot verbatim, but its also a little more bullish with the transfer south in lat.

I believe it is a large storm that marks a pattern change. The A is for Archambault who did the research.

Thanks man. I took the only three meteorology courses offered at my school but nearly every darn time I visit here there are a few new acronyms/terms that I've never heard of. Off to do some googling!

edit:  Gonna take a long time to read over all of this. :)

Thanks man. I took the only three meteorology courses offered at my school but nearly every darn time I visit here there are a few new acronyms/terms that I've never heard of. Off to do some googling!

edit: Gonna take a long time to read over all of this. :)

NP. There are great mets in this subforum that you can learn a whole lot from!

Archived