gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
February 15-MOrch possible wintry threats

tombo82685

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, I've been quietly advertising for some time now (and HM had it before me) that the V-day storm/near miss would set the stage properly for another chance at KU for President's Day Weekend.

The downside is that I think that this will be the case of winter going out with a bang. I think spring follows shortly afterwards.

FWIW, I've been quietly advertising for some time now (and HM had it before me) that the V-day storm/near miss would set the stage properly for another chance at KU for President's Day Weekend.

The downside is that I think that this will be the case of winter going out with a bang. I think spring follows shortly afterwards.

sorry i could not read the fine print

But...you did advertise it....instead of PD3...."Adam Apocalypse"

nice call between you and HM. Pretty amazing stuff you guys do. ( pointing out potential**)

Remember when i said the GFS hasnt been bullish in long range fantasy storms? lol, thats changed the kast 2 weeks. (12z GFS was rediculously weenish)

Yeah awesome job by you guys for fishing out the pattern around the 20th. Forget about the KU chatter (which is now extremely evident on the background pattern leading up to this weekend), but handling the at times muddled MJO/AAM signal and what it would argue for in the timeframe versus some of the less bullish guidance in recent weeks...

If you showed me the hemispheric pattern leading into our recent blizzard compared to the pattern being predicted for this weekend, I would argue that this weekend looks light years better for a possible big snow storm. 

Pros might be able to help answer my question. In storms like this can heavy rates (high VVs) overcome slightly warm boundary layers. For instance 18z GFS is fairly warm at the start, 850s below freezing, yet the 2m 32deg line is a good bit north of city. Do you forecast strictly off the 32deg line or does heavy precip come into play? 

Pros might be able to help answer my question. In storms like this can heavy rates (high VVs) overcome slightly warm boundary layers. For instance 18z GFS is fairly warm at the start, 850s below freezing, yet the 2m 32deg line is a good bit north of city. Do you forecast strictly off the 32deg line or does heavy precip come into play? 

Soundings.

This is probably 32/32 with snow.  Not too many sticking issues except on surfaces which warmed.

post-39-0-43959700-1360626341_thumb.gif

This is probably 33/32.  Sticking snow at night or at a decent rate during the day, but low ratio.

post-39-0-87297600-1360626350_thumb.gif

This is probably 34/33.  Snow but very difficult to stick.  Heavy bursts will, lighter amounts will struggle and very light will probably mix with rain.

post-39-0-15139800-1360626358_thumb.gif

Its kinda subtle.

I like wbz sfc temps as a better indicator than sfc temp. While the models have become better with these features, I wouldn't place them at the head of the class. This latest version of the nam loves to go isothermal with the soundings at 0C and drops the temp/wet bulbs instantly to 32F.  While this can be the case, it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy because of its wet qpf bias.  That being said moderate rates (pcpn amts >/= 0.1 in/hr) can compensate.  On Friday night,  we were accumulating at 34. It helps too that the heaviest is timed in the evening. I know moderate or greater rates laugh at Feb sun angles, but it never hurts to have it fall at night.  

Archived