Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 15-MOrch possible wintry threats

tombo82685

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from what i read the euro ens mean spaghetti plots don't support the operational.

The ENS mEAN doesn't look too bad..

post-810-136196945869.jpg

post-810-136196947004.jpg

Looks a little faster, not as amp'd, but then again, its 180 hours out.

The euro drops a closed off northern stream into the base of the trough, hence the stall/bomb. WIth such an extreme solution, you took it with a grain of salt. However, the GFS isn't too far off. Probably where you want the GFS at this point.

Euro OP on the left, GFS OP on the right. hours 168 and 192, respectively.

post-810-136196955008.jpg

post-810-136196956064.jpg

Here's another un-meteorological comment... the weekend rule is not in effect here. ha ha ha

That's OK, because all the big ones that I couldn't possibly chase were non-weekenders (2/10/10, 1/26/11)

So we should pretty much bank on it happening then, right?

Yup! :lol:

Next week is one of those situations where zoomed out, it looks great. But when you zoom into the details of the large-scale flow, you feel a bit sick. So we, essentially, have to rely on near perfect phasing to get a snowstorm; otherwise, this thing is for the fishies. I hate these situations because partial phasing is pretty difficult and near-perfect phasing is just lol...

Then again, we've had Sandy and 2/8-9 which are about as good as it gets around here in terms of phasing. So it's not impossible of course. The obvious concerns with something like the op euro would be widespread power outages / damage from wet snow. It doesn't look as bad as 1958 or anything but those problems would materialize with those accumulations.

The good news is that the northern stream is littered with waves, decreasing the probability that the block will absorb into the flow like 2/22. The bad news is that the northern stream is littered with waves, haha. A key component to something like the euro is the northern stream digging south, capturing the low and becoming one large nor'easter.

Finally, the 50-50 low may not be the coldest by any means but it is damn near stationary from this weekend up through the storm date. The momentum of the increasing northern jet / Pacific Low could push this feature out quicker in upcoming model runs but that same logic could do that to our northern stream waves. This would force a "miss" in terms of phasing.

Next week is one of those situations where zoomed out, it looks great. But when you zoom into the details of the large-scale flow, you feel a bit sick. So we, essentially, have to rely on near perfect phasing to get a snowstorm; otherwise, this thing is for the fishies. I hate these situations because partial phasing is pretty difficult and near-perfect phasing is just lol...

Then again, we've had Sandy and 2/8-9 which are about as good as it gets around here in terms of phasing. So it's not impossible of course. The obvious concerns with something like the op euro would be widespread power outages / damage from wet snow. It doesn't look as bad as 1958 or anything but those problems would materialize with those accumulations.

The good news is that the northern stream is littered with waves, decreasing the probability that the block will absorb into the flow like 2/22. The bad news is that the northern stream is littered with waves, haha. A key component to something like the euro is the northern stream digging south, capturing the low and becoming one large nor'easter.

Finally, the 50-50 low may not be the coldest by any means but it is damn near stationary from this weekend up through the storm date. The momentum of the increasing northern jet / Pacific Low could push this feature out quicker in upcoming model runs but that same logic could do that to our northern stream waves. This would force a "miss" in terms of phasing.

thanks for the analysis HM. Do you think temps could be an issue? The 12z euro, even though the snowfall maps i have seen show 12 plus for philly on east look highly suspect and frankly a lot of the amounts do. .1-.25 qpf over 6 hrs in march during the day is not going to do it. This just screams bl issues along the coast and i95. IMHO you need that 0z euro run to get something good with heavy precip rates. Or you just get most of the precip to fall at night, unlike the 12z euro

thanks for the analysis HM. Do you think temps could be an issue? The 12z euro, even though the snowfall maps i have seen show 12 plus for philly on east look highly suspect and frankly a lot of the amounts do. .1-.25 qpf over 6 hrs in march during the day is not going to do it. This just screams bl issues along the coast and i95. IMHO you need that 0z euro run to get something good with heavy precip rates. Or you just get most of the precip to fall at night, unlike the 12z euro

Well, I guess we'll never know unless it happens as modeled; but, I would say that temperatures wouldn't be an issue with a bomb like that (outside of maybe the beginning). It doesn't matter what time of day it is or what time of year it is when you have strong UVM / snowfall rates. The snow will stick and it will stick quickly.

Well, I guess we'll never know unless it happens as modeled; but, I would say that temperatures wouldn't be an issue with a bomb like that (outside of maybe the beginning). It doesn't matter what time of day it is or what time of year it is when you have strong UVM / snowfall rates. The snow will stick and it will stick quickly.

Ahh i see. I just always think of the feb 26 storm in 2010, where it snowed all day and amounted to a coating. Though, i don't think that had that hvy of rates during the day. Once the storm came west and we got into those rates and it was night time it accumulated.

Well I think HM is talking about the core CCB, like what was depicted on the 0Z EC.  On the 12Z where you're more towards the edge, yes there could be sticking issues.  There's certainly been cases where the core was plastered snow while the edge was light non-sticking snow or rain/snow mix... hell, just back in November.

Archived