joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

burgertime

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe on average, but it hasn't been that way since 2000 around here. We have had more wintry events here in December and January than February and March since then.

This is based off of a long term average not short term. But again, besides Dec 09 and Dec10 I really can't remember anything of significance in Dec.

And I was talking about short term. I don't care what it did 10 or 20 years ago if it's not doing it these days. Taking a look at this, it appears we have had most of our big winter events in the Raleigh area in the month of January since 2000. There are a couple of December events, and even some February events. But it looks like the bulk of the moderate to major winter events here have occured in the month of January. Sure, we could get a big winter event in February, but January has been the most consistent since 2000. There isn't hardly anything for March.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rah/events/

It's windy and I'm particularly hungry. I think I'm going to go to Cracker Barrel for and get the Old Timers breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, grits, and hash brown casserole. It is always a good idea to eat well on severe weather days.

If you like pancakes, you should try the top secret "Grandma's Pancakes" platter at Cracker Barrel. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone about this. For some reason, it isn't on the menu. I'm taking a chance on getting into big trouble by disclosing this info. You get ham, sausage (turkey is option I think), bacon, two pancakes, hash browns or apples, two eggs, and biscuits. My friend always gets this platter. That's how I know about it.

CB's pancakes are awesome!

And I was talking about short term. I don't care what it did 10 or 20 years ago if it's not doing it these days. Taking a look at this, it appears we have had most of our big winter events in the Raleigh area in the month of January since 2000. There are a couple of December events, and even some February events. But it looks like the bulk of the moderate to major winter events here have occured in the month of January. There isn't hardly anything for March.

And this coincides with the stats I posted. Yes January is the snowiest month. You can't use short term for climo, you have to use long term averages. You might not care what It 10 years ago but it does matter.

And I was talking about short term. I don't care what it did 10 or 20 years ago if it's not doing it these days. Taking a look at this, it appears we have had most of our big winter events in the Raleigh area in the month of January since 2000. There are a couple of December events, and even some February events. But it looks like the bulk of the moderate to major winter events here have occured in the month of January. Sure, we could get a big winter event in February, but January has been the most consistent since 2000. There isn't hardly anything for March.

I agree with Brick. I just don't see March as a big winter month anymore, at least for now. Climo and history might say otherwise, but it is also just as possible that the new normal or new climate or whatever is more representative than climo.

And this coincides with the stats I posted. Yes January is the snowiest month. You can't use short term for climo, you have to use long term averages. You might not care what It 10 years ago but it does matter.

So, things don't change?

Like I said before, sure we can have a good winter event in February. But January has been the most consistent month in my area since 2000 for winter events. Maybe that is just the new norm.

If you like pancakes, you should try the top secret "Grandma's Pancakes" platter at Cracker Barrel. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone about this. For some reason, it isn't on the menu. I'm taking a chance on getting into big trouble by disclosing this info. You get ham, sausage (turkey is option I think), bacon, two pancakes, hash browns or apples, two eggs, and biscuits. My friend always gets this platter. That's how I know about it.

CB's pancakes are awesome!

CB's cakes are the very best. That super secret platter sounds awesome and I'll definitely give it a shot. At Outback, you can get a half order of cheese fries, if you like those, and they're almost as big as a full order for a quite lower cost. You can also get honey butter for the bread. Very good stuff. I don't think either is advertised.

Allan Huffman saying today in his blog that February might be warm. Looks like mid 50s to 60 all next week. That is why I want to get as much snow as soon as possible once December comes around. You can't count on February anymore. The only good snow I recall recently in February was in 09. Since the Carolina Crusher in 2000, I think most of our good snow storms have come in December and January. Winter just gets shorter and shorter.

:facepalm:  I don't know why I bother, but that is just hilarity there.  First of all, you can't count on anything in the SE with regards to winter.  It's an adventure every year.  But, February is next to the top for whatever potential we do have.  I think two below normal years of wintry precip are causing you to forget many years worth of storms prior to 11-12.  Short memory and all.

I agree with Brick. I just don't see March as a big winter month anymore, at least for now. Climo and history might say otherwise, but it is also just as possible that the new normal or new climate or whatever is more representative than climo.

March 09, March 10? I got in on March 2010. I know the upstate of SC did well in both years.

:facepalm:  I don't know why I bother, but that is just hilarity there.  First of all, you can't count on anything in the SE with regards to winter.  It's an adventure every year.  But, February is next to the top for whatever potential we do have.  I think two below normal years of wintry precip are causing you to forget many years worth of storms prior to 11-12.  Short memory and all.

You can't change weenieolgy by using meteorology.

Again, I was talking about my area only, since this is where I live. The norm since here has been for January to be more consistent with winter events since 2000. I provided the link. Now, maybe your area has done well in February and March. Maybe you had some big winter events in the 80s and 90s in February to bring up the averages for that month. But when talking about the Raleigh area, the new norm has been for January to see most of the winter events since 2000. Not saying it can't snow in February, but just that January has been more consistent here since then.

Lmao take out 1993.

In addition to 3/1993 for Atlanta, these were all significant storms:

- 3/2009

- 3/24/1983 was heaviest since 1940

- 3/1980

- 3/1971

- 3/1948

- 3/1960 (two major storms)

-3/1942

-3/1924

So, about once a decade for significant S/IP/ZR at Atlanta in March. These exclude the many minor events. Nothing to sneeze at.

By the way, KATL has had six major March S/IP vs. only four major Dec. S/IP. However, Dec. has had more major ZR's with six vs. three.

Again, I was talking about my area only, since this is where I live. The norm since here has been for January to be more consistent with winter events since 2000. I provided the link. Now, maybe your area has done well in February and March. Maybe you had some big winter events in the 80s and 90s in February to bring up the averages for that month. But when talking about the Raleigh area, the new norm has been for January to see most of the winter events since 2000. Not saying it can't snow in February, but just that January has been more consistent here since then.

Who said Jan has not been? You have really changed this discussion into something else.

Who said Jan has not been? You have really changed this discussion into something else.

How so? Just saying January is more consistent around my area since 2000. February might have the biggest average over a long period, but maybe things are changing. January is the big month around here for winter events lately. That was my whole point.

How so? Just saying January is more consistent around my area since 2000. February might have the biggest average over a long period, but maybe things are changing. January is the big month around here for winter events lately. That was my whole point.

The discussion was about March compared to December. Yes, January and Feb are the best months for snow.

The discussion was about March compared to December. Yes, January and Feb are the best months for snow.

Actually, January has been the best here since 2000. That was my point. February might have the best avearge, but it has not been that good lately. Maybe we'll get a big snow this February, though. It certainly can happen. I just don't count on it as much anymore as I do for January.

I guess I didn't truly realize how small the area of seemingly normal winter was.  Based on the posts since mid December, if I were to look at a map of what this winter has been described as from the regular contributors and using a somewhat primitive triangulation method - it is perceived as:

sewinter1112v2.png

I wonder how close this would compare to the actual conclusions.

March 09, March 10? I got in on March 2010. I know the upstate of SC did well in both years.

I went back and looked at the past events page on the NWS Raleigh site and the only appreciable snow in March since 2000 at RDU was 2009, where I believe we got around 2-3 inches. There were several March events listed, but only a couple appeared to be significant outside of the mountains, including what you mentioned. That research may not be an exhaustive list though.

My only point was, while it can certainly snow in March, and may this year, it does not appear to be a significant winter weather producing month for a large area of the SE in recent years.

I have lived in NC all of my 38 years, and I remember March being ok for snow and my parents tell me that it was not uncommon to see decent snows in March. I may not be remembering accurately, and of course my parents are only telling me how it was around the GSO area (which probably did better than RDU), but in any event, it seems March isn't a great winter weather month, usually.

I guess I didn't truly realize how small the area of seemingly normal winter was. Based on the posts since mid December, if I were to look at a map of what this winter has been described as from the regular contributors and using a somewhat primitive triangulation method - it is perceived as:

sewinter1112v2.png

Lol! That looks about right!

I guess I didn't truly realize how small the area of seemingly normal winter was.  Based on the posts since mid December, if I were to look at a map of what this winter has been described as from the regular contributors and using a somewhat primitive triangulation method - it is perceived as:

sewinter1112v2.png

HaHa!  That is awesome!  Well done, Bevo!  I love the nice touch of adding lava around Waycross.  Perfection.

HaHa!  That is awesome!  Well done, Bevo!  I love the nice touch of adding lava around Waycross.  Perfection.

Yeah - you and I are just in good moods due to inhabiting the blue shaded area.  If that map is even close to the truth, it makes me feel even more fortunate for "Wedgeland".

Archived