joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday 1/28 Winter Event

ChescoWx

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed the SREF guidance indicated the best fronto forcing should go NW of the Delaware Valley. My concern is that we end up getting weak forcing, spotty wintry mix/freezing drizzle instead of a band of light snow during the morning.

I tend to think the NAM does well in CAD situations (like this) at the surface...a GFS/EC aloft, NAM surface blend probably works well.  Precip will be the wildcard.

You would think it should, but to be diplomatic its solutions have more standard deviations then you would like to see so close in to the start of the event.    

I noticed the SREF guidance indicated the best fronto forcing should go NW of the Delaware Valley. My concern is that we end up getting weak forcing, spotty wintry mix/freezing drizzle instead of a band of light snow during the morning.

The 00z nam run fcst fgen did not support its own fast break out of pcpn, don't know if the 12z run did the same. To be fair the fcst isentropic lift on the gfs suggested the nam faster timing may have been right.  The snow scoffed at the wind on Friday, we got ratios as high as 30:1 in Montgomery County.

The 00z nam run fcst fgen did not support its own fast break out of pcpn, don't know if the 12z run did the same. To be fair the fcst isentropic lift on the gfs suggested the nam faster timing may have been right.  The snow scoffed at the wind on Friday, we got ratios as high as 30:1 in Montgomery County.

Thanks for the info. Faster timing with isentropic lift makes sense and so does the unsupportive fgen on the NAM. By the way, I live in Mount Laurel now (I know you asked a while back) and those ratios make sense. We almost made 2" haha... still only the second biggest snowfall of the cold season.

Yeah I agree, my concern has been lack of precip, not temps, with this event. A little concerned the NAM's on it's own with the wettest solution, but we'll see. Surface CAD is pretty impressive, most to the NW of PHL are rotting at 32F until late afternoon.

Latest Wxsim has trended a little more frozen since 6z for the NW Philly burbs

SN/IP mix arriving by 530am temp 29.8

around 0.11" of mix to ZR with temps rising above 0c by 1030am

then off an on rain/drizzle right thru Tues AM with 0.30" of precip

I am a little wary of it getting above freezing that quickly - either way looks tough for the early AM commute

Mount Holly thinks that Advisories are likely for this system:

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

A VERY ACTIVE LONG TERM IS IN STORE FOR OUR CWA WITH A LIKELY

ADVISORY LEVEL IMPACT EVENT ON MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT, POSSIBLY A

MULTI FACETED WIND AND HEAVY RAIN EVENT ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THEN

A SERIES OF COLD FRONTS WITH SNOW SHOWERS POSSIBLE LATER IN THE WEEK.

Pretty much guaranteed with any mixed precip event.

Surprised not much discussion on this considering there were 20 pages on a WWA for previous event. It's gonna be pretty messy for am rush if timing is correct.

Also the other thread had a couple of bonus days of leadup.  This really didn't...

yeah pretty shocked how a much more impacting dangerous event is getting so little play on the boards compared to an innocuous coating to 2 event where people seemed to be going ga ga over

You will not get anymore snow then you did on Friday. These events usually go quickly to rain, it's not going to be a big deal

Archived