• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday 1/28 Winter Event

ChescoWx

Latest Wxsim has a mix of snow and sleet arriving just before dawn on Monday AM with almost all of the total precip of 0.24" falling as frozen - with temps topping out at about 33 degrees here in the NW Philly burbs. The one factor to consider is the ground temps due to our 5th consecutive day below freezing will be slow to moderate. The high here today was just 24.6 - the warmest since Monday's 30.6.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest Wxsim has a mix of snow and sleet arriving just before dawn on Monday AM with almost all of the total precip of 0.24" falling as frozen - with temps topping out at about 33 degrees here in the NW Philly burbs. The one factor to consider is the ground temps due to our 5th consecutive day below freezing will be slow to moderate. The high here today was just 24.6 - the warmest since Monday's 30.6.

Sunday will make it 7 straight days!!

This is a strange event where areas in the PHL/NYC metro may be frozen and BUF/CLE/PIT are raining because we're in a better position as far as the high pressure and cold air.

recall a storm in early 80's when I was at school in selinsgrove pa...we had a heavy rain and my folks back in abington pa had a heavy snow

No surprise, but the GFS isn't as cold as far south. still keeps the Lehigh valley frozen, maybe some of the NW burbs of philly.

Yup, slower/a tad less intense with the precip. allowing temps. to rise in its advance. Still some frozen issues, NW burbs on northward through atleast midday.

Yup, slower/a tad less intense with the precip. allowing temps. to rise in its advance. Still some frozen issues, NW burbs on northward through atleast midday.

Not so fast. Latest models show that true arctic air is slow to retreat. A mixed frozen precipitation timing problem extends from Philly south to the Poconos. Latest soundings were colder. I expect some model consensus by noon today, with WWA's of differing magnitudes going up as well, along the usual North/South urban/suburban/elevation differences.

Looks like a real trick or treat week with every type of precipitation from snow, sleet, freezing rain, all rain and snow again. It will be a challenging forecast, but, from a meteorology point of view, fascinating.

warm air advection aloft will probably limit snowfall around Philly and result in a change to sleet or light zr but we could "thump" a coating out of things on the front end in Southeast PA away from 95.

GFS is more aggressive on the push of warmth ALOFT and does reflect surface subfreezing air hanging tight.

I don't really buy the NAM's snowier prop...there will probably be changes to sleet instead of a longer period of snow.  I do buy the surface profile on the NAM...but I think aloft warm air (which typically is quicker to push in) limits the snow end of this...may not limit the "in between".

The NAM looks like it may almost be mistaking the high sitting over the WRN Atlantic as having a shearing or confluent effect on the precip sheild as it crosses PA, I don't know if I buy that.  This is another pain to forecast, we know we'll be cold enough at the surface, its the QPF thats a big question mark and it could be more than the models want to show.

12z NAM paints an ugly picture for the morning commute in eastern Pa. Check out the sim. at 12z Monday.

Agreed. 12z NAM soundings look pretty nasty. Most folks north of PHL are 32F at the surface until mid/late afternoon tomorrow. I'm thinking a burst of snow, maybe up to 1", then over to sleet and 0.1-0.15" of ZR potentially through 1pm.

Advisories should be issued today.         

Mount Holly thinks that Advisories are likely for this system:

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...
A VERY ACTIVE LONG TERM IS IN STORE FOR OUR CWA WITH A LIKELY
ADVISORY LEVEL IMPACT EVENT ON MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT,
POSSIBLY A
MULTI FACETED WIND AND HEAVY RAIN EVENT ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THEN
A SERIES OF COLD FRONTS WITH SNOW SHOWERS POSSIBLE LATER IN THE WEEK.

GFS holds serve in scouring out mid levels of cold prior to precip arrival in city. Would be a brief light zr or fr drizzle to rain/drizzle setup for most of us.  Poconos/LV would have some issues but nothing on the order of what the NAM is barking at.

GFS holds serve in scouring out mid levels of cold prior to precip arrival in city. Would be a brief light zr or fr drizzle to rain/drizzle setup for most of us.  Poconos/LV would have some issues but nothing on the order of what the NAM is barking at.

GFS is warmer than last nights Euro/UK/GEM and this mornings NAM/SREF/RGEM

GFS is warmer than last nights Euro/UK/GEM and this mornings NAM/SREF/RGEM

I tend to think the NAM does well in CAD situations (like this) at the surface...a GFS/EC aloft, NAM surface blend probably works well.  Precip will be the wildcard.

Archived