SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Clipper Threat 1/22/13-1/23/13

Allsnow

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great. 1-5" of snow followed by arctic blast. Snow should stay on the ground at least until Friday, may help us out with Friday's event.

word of caution, the SREFs can be great (last event) and they can definitely sniff out trends, but I'd feel a lot better with major model support for this event. We'll see what the 18z and 00z model suite has to offer though

something I noticed with the SREF is precip kinda comes in from the west in an already organized fashion, doesn't just develop overhead a la the GFS. So while it may technically fulfill a norlun type designation (not sure) it looks a lot more like a redeveloping clipper 

It has a more defined coastal reflection that is why precip has gone up.

FOK is the .10" line on the euro.

ISP gets .08"

LGA .03".

Coating to 1" LGA and east.

Some lucky spots could pick up a coating to an inch or two eastward with the higher ratios and Arctic thickness near the region.

But it should be very hit or miss.

word of caution, the SREFs can be great (last event) and they can definitely sniff out trends, but I'd feel a lot better with major model support for this event. We'll see what the 18z and 00z model suite has to offer though

Agree. The only model in good agreement with the SREFs is the NAM, and the NAM did a good job with Thursday night's event. Might see a little more QPF on the 18z GFS. I don't think that the GFS will catch on easily, especially since it's low resolution.

This was always a non event , the reason the NAM was juiced this AM is it popped a mesoscale LOW off L I , and had the Norlun further south .

These are almost alway Central New England type events.

The SREF  is way too wet , and at 60 plus hrs , not its best range .

Focus on the cold and weekend system .

Upton

REGARDING PRECIPITATION...THERE WILL BE AN INCREASING CHANCE OF SNOW WHICH COULD RESULT IN A FEW INCHES OF ACCUMULATION BETWEEN MONDAY AFTERNOON AND TUESDAY NIGHT AS WELL AS WEDNESDAY THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR THAT PERIOD MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON FOR SOME LOCALLY HIGHER SNOW AMOUNTS DEPENDING ON WHERE BEST DEFORMATION BANDING SETS UP.

Is the globals good for this type of event or the hi res models are better to use?

The hi-res stuff will usually be good within 12 to 24 hours before the event.

But as others have said, they like to overdo precip from this far out

in situations like this.

The NAM was even too juiced with the precip within 24 hrs of the late

December storm.

Archived