.11 at Morristown

.11 at Somerset

.13 at Caldwell

.15 at Burlington-Monmouth Airport

.16 at NYC

.17 at Laguardia

.19 at JFK

.30 at Islip

Not to nitpick, but its Belmar-Farmingdale/Monmouth Executive Airport.  Burlington is about 40 miles west of there.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15z SREF norlun doesn't develop in time, SNE, gets it :cry:

f72.gif

Think most pp will take .10 to .25 at minus 15 air and see a few inches on the island If u look at all the members. It's not one is gassed up and skews it. All relatively in line. So if that verifies its not a flurry

Ok mayb one is a bit gassed. But not bad

In NW NJ I have had 40:1 ratios many times with these types of clipper situations depicted on the 84 hr NAM. Areas to the East for NYC and so on would likely be in the 20:1 range. Again, I am speaking of the Wednesday night storm depicted on the 84hr NAM. Right now the model shows surface temps of around 18 degrees here at 7pm on Wednesday with the 850 level at -20. Snow is on our doorsteps at that point.

Snow ratio measurements aren't always reliable, especially if you are using an automated gauge.  The only fair verification to this would be a CoCoRaHS or COOP report.

If we get it to develop even just a little faster, that will increase our totals a lot.

Is cloud seeding an option?

As I said earlier, the NAM is garbage ever since they upgraded it. Euro is king.

EURO gave us almost 0.2 in the form of snow from the last system that never made it up the coast. It is most certainly not the King.

Let's not exaggerrate the abilities and verification of different models.

Oops, I don't mean we. Just hope something happens that could make it develop it faster.

I know pal...I'm just kiddin ya.

We're getting close to the optimal time for the NAM and its trending in the wrong direction for you guys.  SREFs are too.  None of the globals seem impressed which does say something, too.  A coating to 2 inches seems like the most reasonable forecast for the city right now. 

With so much model talk I feel something needs to be addressed:

Model skill scores point to the EC as the winner but not by much.  That doesn't mean its always better, it just means it averages out to being best.  Every model has bad days, the EC just has a few less of them.  We did see just the other day how the EC can fail and the NAM can beat it, but that was within 24 hours of the event.  We're not quite there yet.  The NAM is so high resolution that small changes in initial conditions can result in wide variations in solutions, particularly with something mesoscale like a Norlun.  That's why its fun to look at, but not the most reliable model beyond 24-30 hours.  SREF's are all high resolution models like the NAM so the same problems exist for them, too.  It really is important to look at the observations and really see which model is doing best especially in the near-term.  That's what made the EC's failure so obvious with the last storm.

man,even last winter gave us a "decent" snowfall

hope this one pans out

I was excited for those 3" of snow. Snow only lasted 2 days before we soared into the mid 50's. This reminds me a lot like last year. Last year, on the 18th, we were in the 50's, cold front passed, had a couple of days in the 30's, a clipper system gives us a very light dusting of snow, then we get a mini snowstorm 2 days later. Sounds like what we may have this week, except with colder temps.

Archived