• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
How would you best describe your relationship with snow?

Deck Pic

how?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. snow

• I hate snow
    • I mostly find it a nuisance
    • It's ok, but I love these warm, snowless winters...give me 70 and sunny!
    • I like snow as long as it isn't too much of a disruption. Give me 1-2 small weekend events and 65 in between
    • I enjoy snow, but it isn't a big deal if it doesn't happen. I don't invest much time or emotion into it.
    • I really like snow, especially big events. These warm, snowless winters bum me out.
    • I like snow to the point that I follow models, track storms and want as much snow as possible, but I don't sweat it if it doesn't go my way. We live in DC. Whatever falls is a bonus. There are more important things in life.
    • Snow is a significant hobby for me. I invest quite a bit of time into it, especially in the winter and even though DC sucks for snow, I still get down about bad winters. I am probably a bit too emotionally attached.
    • I am obsessed with snow in the winter. It takes up a lot of my time. If I had my druthers we would have multiple KU's every winter. It is mostly a healthy hobby and passion, but too often I go overboard with time and emotional investment
    • I am obsessed with snow to the point that it affects my sleep patterns, work performance, relationships with loved ones and overall mental health. I have a disease and if there was snow rehab I would be a model candidate

I'm of the opinion that if you poo poo snow falling from the sky because it's not a KU or significant snowfall, then you are not a true snow lover

im of the opinion that snow weenies are whiny babies

I didn't vote here so as not to skew the results since I no longer live in the area, but:

6 "I really like snow, especially big events. These warm, snowless winters bum me out."

I grew up in southeastern VA.  That area averages about 8 inches of snow a year.  Many years snow does not accumulate beyond a light coating on grassy areas the whole winter.

I lived in Charlottesville, VA for almost 10 years.  That was somewhat better as far as snowfall, but I was still disappointed most years.  I used to drive about 200 miles over the mountains to Elkins, WV when snow was predicted for there.  One time when I had already planned to take off work and the snow did not look like it would materialize there, I bought plane tickets instead that same day and flew to Erie, PA where the snow was to be much better (I believe the date for that was November 13, 1992), returning two days later.

I then lived in Indianapolis, IN for 6 years.  Because it is so much colder there than in VA I had expected the snow to be better.  But most of the time was still disappointing.  That area only has about 2-3 weeks a year with an inch or more snow cover.  Sometimes I used to drive up to South Bend, IN and southwestern MI to see the snow there.  I did enjoy the big thunderstorms in Indiana though.

I decided next time I moved it would be someplace that got a good amount of snow.  I've lived in Buffalo since late 2000.  Buffalo averages 90 inches of snow a year.  25 miles south of here they have 150 inches a year.  I do get bummed out if it starts getting towards Christmas with still no snow, but eventually the snow always comes.  We've had about a week and a half with somewhat deep (6-12 inch) snow cover so far this season.  That certainly puts it in the bottom 10%, but it doesn't feel like a total bust.  Once there's been snow in the season, I don't get annoyed as easily.  I still would like to see more snow, but it is not that big of an issue.  I like variety, so if the ground is constantly covered with snow as it was here in 2009-10 (though mostly light amounts), I find that boring.  I like to see snow on the ground about half the time in the winter, which is what we typically get here.  I don't generally find myself driving to where there is more snow, even though it is close to here.  The exception is with the first snows of the season - if there is nothing at all here I usually drive south of here to see snow.  The first winter I lived here (2000-2001) was amazing.  We already had season snowfall totals measured in feet by Thanksgiving.  I remember I was outside filming with my video camera and a neighbor asked what I was filming.  I told him the snow and he said "Why would you want to film that?".  People around here are used to it and don't really see it as anything out of the ordinary.

But it is trading one negative for another, as we have the same situation with thunderstorms here that VA has with snow.  Some years are ok, but most years are seriously lacking.  I usually end up chasing away from the lakes multiple times in the summer just to see some average storms.  Since my job allows me to work remotely if needed much of the time, I'm considering getting a "summer home" someplace down in say OH and staying there during the summer months.

I love snow, but not piddly 1 inch storms.  And if snow doesn't come, I don't hold it against the snow.  I simply wait patiently for it to return. 

I grew up in central MD, so I got used to being screwed.  Then spent 6 years in Colorado, 4 in Iowa, so saw my share of snow and cold those years.  Now I don't as much mind the milder winters, but I do miss the snow when it's not around.

I love snow and extreme cold to the utter exclusion of everyone and everything else.

I dont give a f*ck anymore. I crave crippling snow and extreme Ice Age cold and I dont give a rats azz who it affects anymore. I hate spring, I hate summer.

All I care about is snow, ice and severe cold.

At the risk of overstating the obvious, I don't post much here.  However, as an aspiring weenie with a life long passion for weather I've been an avid reader here for several years now and learned a lot about our "obsession".  Having lived in Germany, Japan, Afghanistan, India and Thailand I've had the pleasure of experiencing some of the most dramatic weather Mother Nature can throw at us, including 3+ meters of snow in 36 hours holed up in Switzerland listening to the howitzers break down the snow snow pack to protect our village from a catastrophic slab slide.  If only to preserve some measure of sanity I avoided the temptation and did not vote 10. 

I need an option that says something like...I like snow but especially the bigger storms moreso than smaller <4 inches, but I don't mind the occasional warmish snowlessish winter, I sort of like the break some years.  In part I think this is because it always finds a  way to snow out here even catching me off guard at times (eg. Christmas eve last) .  The really big winters here get tiring to the point I don't mind a milder one when it happens. Loved last winter wearing short sleeves on most days. I am very content living in this part of Carroll Co.  Wouldn't want a place like Garrett Co. too much for me, wouldn't want to go back to a place like Baltimore city with the constant rain/snow line issues that was frustrating.

Question- What makes snow so amazing? Why do you like it more then severe? tropical?

Snow has never been all to end all for me and my weather interests.  I am pretty close to 50/50 on snow/thunderstorms since I was young...I would go as far as saying now I am leaning somewhat more towards severe 51/49.   I should really say 51 for thunderstorms, noreasters, general rainstorms, remnants of hurricanes and 49 for anything related to winter including snow, record cold, ice, sleet, whatever contributes to the winter landscape.

Question- What makes snow so amazing? Why do you like it more than severe? tropical?

Adds another level of beauty to the world. The stillness the accompanies a good snowfall is incredible.

Also for the fact that it shuts things down and has a certain level of nostalgia associated with it. I like a good hurricane or summer thunderstorm but my interest level in those things pales in comparison.

Archived