12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
12/29 - New Years Storm Threat Discussion

Dsnowx53

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really they haven't. Yes the NAM had one run with more than .5" but most of the models now in that .25-.4" range. The changeover/mix possibility will be an issue though for certain locations that appeared to be mostly snow a day or two ago.

the models have actually performed fairly well with this storm. for days its been a 2-4" event. has that changed much?

That's fine if you want to pretend the models have kept the same track for days. The upper levels have changed slightly on each run.

that will ALWAYS happen as we get closer to an event....the reality of it is, we could have went to sleep two days ago with a 2-4" forecast which most models were showing, woke up tomorrow morning and said, "job well done models".

When you look at each frame, it seems the total should be more.

I'm not concerned about it..it trended north and west with the best lift and it now includes NYC on the fringe of the good stuff at 27 hours very similarly to the RGEM. We could see a weenie band develop on the NW fringe of the heavier precip that the models are showing as the ccb develops in its initial stages.

18z NAM is definitely looking more progressive...

Just a comment about the use of the word "progressive." Yes the SLP is a tiny bit weaker and further east this run, but I don't think anything about the run is more progressive. In fact the northern stream s/w is yet again sharper this run (for like the 9th run in a row). Alway playing catchup... A compromise between the 18z and 12z NAM runs could easily tuck the SLP closer to the coast than the 12z and move it out a few hours slower due to the LESS progressive nature of the mid-levels. Otherwise the 18z run introduces the possibility of highest totals being in NEPA and the southern tier of NY, esp considering higher ratios.

Really they haven't. Yes the NAM had one run with more than .5" but most of the models now in that .25-.4" range. The changeover/mix possibility will be an issue though for certain locations that appeared to be mostly snow a day or two ago.

Where the models have changed significantly over the past few days is MO, IL, IN, KY, OH, PA, and W and CNY. Just because the model QPF in the NYC area hasn't changed a whole lot doesn't mean the model depictions haven't changed. And changes with lighter QPF storms are harder to detect. Going from .2 - .4 is hardly noticable when everybody broad brushes that as 2-4. But it's the same % increase as going from .4 to .8. And in that case everyone would really notice the change.

Here's the map I drew up for the blog earlier this afternoon. Mentioned the potential for isolated higher amounts especially over SE NY and CT into Southeast SNE.

post-6-0-25913000-1356733048_thumb.png

In laurel hollow tomorrow north shore Nassau county. I really thnk it's a 4 or 5 inch number. But I'm still up in the air about how places in Monmouth county that r gona dip into upper 20s tonite and precip on a ne wind with 850s at minus 2. And they mix. Tomorrow. I really thnk places progged as mixing just don't

Some nice banding just south of STL on national radar. I still don't think the models are depicting that area very well, even on the 6hr and 12hr panels. The current radar is a good example about how the actual result does not behave nearly as well as the smoothed model output. Short range hires is a lot better, but it overdoes it and is less useful beyond the very short range. In our region, banding will likely set up somewhere on the NW fringe of the CCB, and it will determine who cashes in and who gets stuck in subsidence.

Archived