• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Updated Weatherbell Winter Forecast

ChescoWx

Yeah and it seems like no matter what we do as an agency, it is not good enough and someone has to complain. I have noticed an uptick with this, and it became more notable after Sandy. People are entitled to their opinions, however when they do not know the entire reasoning behind decisions then go public with criticisms, then that is not right.

I think there can be constructive critiques that aren't "rips"...I've seen level headed ppl say the NWS did a great job on forecasting but the warning process needs work. Hopefully you're not considering that type of commentary complaining...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike if you step away from this board we will all be poorer for it. I don't understand why anyone here is critical of anyone's forecast. Although I subscribe to WeatherBell I for one do not appreciate it when JB slams the NWS and have sent him messages to that effect!

However, having posters here take shots as we continually see at JB/DT/SD etc. is equally un-called for as two wrongs do not make a right. All forecasts should be welcome here - again if you don't like a WeatherBell or WxRisk or NJ PA Forecast then read past it - if you disagree and have a science based reasoning please share with us and /or make your own forecast.

Yeah and it seems like no matter what we do as an agency, it is not good enough and someone has to complain. I have noticed an uptick with this, and it became more notable after Sandy. People are entitled to their opinions, however when they do not know the entire reasoning behind decisions then go public with criticisms, then that is not right.

Thats the way of the humans and the world. You cannot please everyone. My two cents is to stop worrying what other people think and just do what you do and move forward. You have nothing to feel guilty for.

Those that waste money on JB can get that kind of excitement by watching reality TV.

I know most of you feel that the models that have come along way but the reality is, meteorology is not an accurate science .Who needs 10 different private sectors opinions? So they can say they were right on Storm A? Well odds say on Storm B they will be wrong.

The most important thing is to take something from every forecast. You can never stop learning.

I think there can be constructive critiques that aren't "rips"...I've seen level headed ppl say the NWS did a great job on forecasting but the warning process needs work. Hopefully you're not considering that type of commentary complaining...

Nope that type of commentary is not what I was completely getting at, however the whole thing with the 'warning process needs work' is not just an NWS thing.

You make a post like this to basically defend JB, but apparently it is okay for JB to publicly bash the NWS multiple times. He has done this for years!

Crap like this nearly helps me make a final decision to step away from this board!!!

Seriously Mike? Dang that would suck...

See this is where having a MET professional use his knowledge and forecasting skills (which a weenie such as I do not possess) and tell us why his (JB/DT/SD etc,) meteorology is wrong and move on - JB may usually be wrong but he does supply his scientific reasoning - if you dispute it then this is the forum to tell us why he is wrong and make your own forecast - right?

Thanks!

Eff that. Why should I have to waste my time debunking crap forecasts? My time is better focused on making my stuff as accurate as I can.

I am a JB defender but do not take shots at the NWS or any weather forecast - so I hope you are not putting all of us JB "defenders" in the same boat - that again would be less than fair don't you think?

You're reasonable and don't do that...there are some who still think he walks on water.

You make a post like this to basically defend JB, but apparently it is okay for JB to publicly bash the NWS multiple times. He has done this for years!

Crap like this nearly helps me make a final decision to step away from this board!!!

C'mon Mike, you are a top shelf Met...don't let a naysayer push you away. I think a majority of us really value your expertise.

As an attorney, who relies on laws that are codified or written by judges to give opinions, I can only imagine the difficulty faced by professional METs like you, who have to deal with the uncertanties of weather, the laws and anomolies of atmospheric physics and a public that demands precision. But, when the lawyer needs a bit of weather info for a matter, we get an official NOAA-NWS event report. And there you have it.

Mike,

Take a couple of weeks off and clear your head, you'll feel better. I didn't want to vote on this, but I think overall this division will keep it easier to not trip into a thread derailment.

I used to enjoying reading JB, but after spending much time on this board and learning much from Mike, Tony, Ray and the other NWS mets that post on here, I can honestly say I am better off not reading his posts. His bashing of the NWS is terrible. Sure, his enthusiasm for extreme weather gets me excited, but in the long run, I have learned far more just reading the posts from the NWS and other mets on this forum.

Mike, don't go anywhere. Those on this board who appreciate what you and the others at NWS do far outweigh those that do not.

Mike - You took my post of context. I haven't bashed anyone's forecast. I was just calling for the JB bashing in general to stop as it was getting old. I just want to read about the current forecast ideas and not post after post about JB which is why I started out asking Paul not to keep posting his forecasts.

Mike - You took my post of context. I haven't bashed anyone's forecast. I was just calling for the JB bashing in general to stop as it was getting old. I just want to read about the current forecast ideas and not post after post about JB which is why I started out asking Paul not to keep posting his forecasts.

That's some real revisionist history.

This post isn't bashing anyone, really? Come on now, we're not stupid.

I think you guys should knock it off. You want me to start posting about how terrible th NWS forecasts are?

Please don't go, Mike. Most of us love your input and the jerks who don't should be banned or 5-posted.

Strongly agree. Mike's a top shelf asset to this forum. I subscribe to WB but do so not simply because of JB, but the insight of class acts like Joe D. and the expanding model offerings.

I've followed JB enough years to take him with a major grain of salt. Most of the hammering

of others he does is confined to the NHC and the way they categorize/name storms, which

gets real old, real quick. Occasionally he'll mention that point & click forecasts will have to

play catch up due to their reliance on model output, but I don't recall hearing him bash the

NWS since he left AW.

IMO anyone that criiticizes another's forecast on this forum violates a golden rule of the

profession and should be immediately shown the door.

isn't it interesting that NONE of the mets on this board defend JB (as far as I know). The more you know about meteorology, the less you respect him. It's sad that he's become such a big name in the business. I'm not jealous of his celebrity status-I'm embarrassed that parts of the media continue to use him because he is the loudest and most opinionated voice in the room.

Mike: don't let the petty stuff get to you too much. I, too, was very frustrated when working for NWS, since we would get slammed and not be able to respond. It's not fair. But at least you have a forum here to respond-I never had that opportunity. Keep it up-we need voices like yours!

Glenn

isn't it interesting that NONE of the mets on this board defend JB (as far as I know). The more you know about meteorology, the less you respect him. It's sad that he's become such a big name in the business. I'm not jealous of his celebrity status-I'm embarrassed that parts of the media continue to use him because he is the loudest and most opinionated voice in the room.

Mike: don't let the petty stuff get to you too much. I, too, was very frustrated when working for NWS, since we would get slammed and not be able to respond. It's not fair. But at least you have a forum here to respond-I never had that opportunity. Keep it up-we need voices like yours!

Glenn

:thumbsup::hug:

Well, I was speaking about WB, I don't follow Twitter. Yeah, that's part of the AGW vendetta

he's always on that gets old as well.

Archived