• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Updated Weatherbell Winter Forecast

ChescoWx

The Weatherbell team has updated their Winter forecast originally issued in September. The main change is to go for a colder forecast in the East (including our area) with a departure of -2 degrees from normal for December (after a warm start but cold finish to push it negative) and also -2 vs normal for both January and February.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Weatherbell team has updated their Winter forecast originally issued in September. The main change is to go for a colder forecast in the East (including our area) with a departure of -2 degrees from normal for December (after a warm start but cold finish to push it negative) and also -2 vs normal for both January and February.

thanks paul.

precip?

Great site Bobby!

All the best

Since I am the owner of Eastern PA Weather Authority, LLC and we are affiliated with WeatherBELL Analytics, I am authorized to reproduce his outlooks on the EPAWA website, so here is the direct link to read it if you are so inclined, for free: http://epawablogs.com/joe-bastardis-updated-winter-forecast/

Enjoy!

Thanks for the information. I think we pretty much have a consensus that this will be a cold and snowy winter in this area. Accuweather, JB, Judah Cohen and Hurricane Schwartz all seem to agree. Is anyone out there predicting a warmer than normal winter at this point?

Well December may not be all that pretty there, unless the second half really shapes up.

Thanks for the information. I think we pretty much have a consensus that this will be a cold and snowy winter in this area. Accuweather, JB, Judah Cohen and Hurricane Schwartz all seem to agree. Is anyone out there predicting a warmer than normal winter at this point?

Schwartz is technically calling for an above average winter on temps.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weather/stories/Long-Range-Winter-Forecast-Glenn-Hurricane-Schwartz-180199191.html

Given the first five days will average close to +6 he's going to need almost -3.5 from December 6 through 31 to pull this off.

Good luck with that.

Well December may not be all that pretty there, unless the second half really shapes up.

Given the first five days will average close to +6 he's going to need almost -3.5 from December 6 through 31 to pull this off.

Good luck with that.

We're going to see a Top 5 first 10 days and they went colder for the month? Wow.

We're going to see a Top 5 first 10 days and they went colder for the month? Wow.

Joe had a great call for the month of November. There is going to have to be a pretty impressive reversal in the second half of the month. The NAEFS has been golden for weekly temps here and after a mild start for week one, it has week two teetering on the edge between near normal and above normal.

Good luck with that.

Despite the affiliation, I would have to agree with you. Nothing jumps out at me as being THAT impressively cold after mid month. Euro weeklies certainly wouldn't support such a thing, but also haven't been the best after week 2 with regard to consistency.

Sad to see this sort of negative posts about professionals from a professional. Thanks to all the professional Mets including JB who make this site such a great resource

RE The first part: Not really, no. Just reinforcing the fact that most mets consider a majority of JB's thoughts to be ill-founded and sometimes downright fantastical.

RE The first part: Not really, no. Just reinforcing the fact that most mets consider a majority of JB's thoughts to be ill-founded and sometimes downright fantastical.

I would agree, JB while once was good at what he does, he is no longer of value to me, I'm tired of the constant fantasy scenarios that he always plays up. Going for the extremes are like Ellinwood says. Years ago I used to subscribe him, but once he started swinging for the Grand Slams almost every time it got old. Just my 2 cents. By the way, this board has so much more value, I really see no reason while an individual would even subscribe to him.

Bri

He is unpopular on this site that is for sure (I would be shocked if he even gets 10% - but he has a sizable number of folks who find his service worth paying for across the country. That said as I have said many times before I have no great personal allegiance to him or any weather service - I subscribe to WB, Accuweather and NJ PA weather - so I simply like multiple viewpoints. No MET is perfect and if you realize JBs slant on highlighting possibilities and pattern recognition - he can be a valuable addition to an arsenal of information.

One thing for sure - he does provoke a response - which me thinks he does not mind one bit....

An 85% margin? Whew!!!

I can only see this ending 1 way... Bad. Everytime he who shall not be named is brought up, it gets ugly....

I can only see this ending 1 way... Bad. Everytime he who shall not be named is brought up, it gets ugly....

Yup.

I think the guy just lets his emotions get in the way of his intelligence (which he has plenty of) regarding the weather.

I think others that have worked alongside him would say something similar.

Yup.

I think the guy just lets his emotions get in the way of his intelligence (which he has plenty of) regarding the weather.

I think others that have worked alongside him would say something similar.

I have heard some "fun" stories from former accuwx peeps. JB throwing fits, stomping around the office and what-not.

Bri

He is unpopular on this site that is for sure (I would be shocked if he even gets 10% - but he has a sizable number of folks who find his service worth paying for across the country. That said as I have said many times before I have no great personal allegiance to him or any weather service - I subscribe to WB, Accuweather and NJ PA weather - so I simply like multiple viewpoints. No MET is perfect and if you realize JBs slant on highlighting possibilities and pattern recognition - he can be a valuable addition to an arsenal of information.

One thing for sure - he does provoke a response - which me thinks he does not mind one bit....

You can get better and less biased weather opinions simply from listening to adam, the mount holly crew, and free sites that are out there.

JB is historically biased towards 'big' events and that's what gets him burned. He does well when things are anomalously cold, anomalously stormy, or blocky. He was awful last winter and was awful this summer IIRC. He is passionate about weather but his forecasts aren't any better than what you see on TV or for free on this site. What he says in his analysis on the paid part of WB isn't any better than something that Adam, HM, or anyone here contributes.

I agree....hence why I am here on this great site......we have the best NWS local office and great professional MET contributors.....but if you even want more perspectives - like me and don't mind spending the $ - why not??

You can get better and less biased weather opinions simply from listening to adam, the mount holly crew, and free sites that are out there.

JB is historically biased towards 'big' events and that's what gets him burned. He does well when things are anomalously cold, anomalously stormy, or blocky. He was awful last winter and was awful this summer IIRC. He is passionate about weather but his forecasts aren't any better than what you see on TV or for free on this site. What he says in his analysis on the paid part of WB isn't any better than something that Adam, HM, or anyone here contributes.

You either are Bastardi. Or a close friend promoting weather bell products.

...post history says it all.

You either are Bastardi. Or a close friend promoting weather bell products.

...post history says it all.

Believe it or not there are a ton of people who enjoy JB's thoughts and find him to be a respectable met. As Paul said, most on here don't like him.

Everyone has their weaknesses, and I'd wager to say most mets have some sort of bias in their forecasts, but demonstrate it in a much more subtle way. JB has the outspoken, entertainment value that attracts many of his customers. No doubt he tends to forecast extremes, but his ability to recognize patterns from far in advance are impressive, and better than the majority of mets I've seen. I've noticed he doesn't do well w/ short term storm forecasting as he tends to "over snow" but his specialty is medium/long range patterns.

Archived