joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Updated Weatherbell Winter Forecast

ChescoWx

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is true...I guess I have supported him both at Accuweather and WB - but although I support him I certainly know his biases...that said I still go to the NWS for my first and main source of weather but I do enjoy WB, Steve over at NJ PA along with a couple METS at AccuWeather. Call me a glutton for weather information!!

He's not Bastardi but he's been one of his staunchest supporters going back years. No harm in that...that's his choice and his dime to spend.

A poll on this forum open to ALL members is certainly not a a poll of "most mets". Not even close. Just saying.

I'm getting a poll which includes mets on the forum. I'm not using everyone who voted... just the mets. Not the largest sample size ever, but we do have mets from all walks of life that visit this forum regularly. I could have posted it in the Met Only forum, but I'd rather it be out in the open so everyone can see the results.

So far, 6 mets (and 3 pro forecasters) are not fans of JB, with just one pro JB met. We'll give it several days and see what happens.

I'm getting a poll which includes mets on the forum. I'm not using everyone who voted... just the mets. Not the largest sample size ever, but we do have mets from all walks of life that visit this forum regularly. I could have posted it in the Met Only forum, but I'd rather it be out in the open so everyone can see the results.

So far, 6 mets (and 3 pro forecasters) are not fans of JB, with just one pro JB met. We'll give it several days and see what happens.

Where is this poll?

After a few days, a poll of mets on the American Weather Forum shows 15 meteorologists who do not find JB to be a credible met (in addition to 4 pro forecasters), and 2 meteorologists that do. Including the general population of AmWx, almost 3/4 of those who voted do not support JB.

Please consider this information when looking at and discussing JB's forecasts.

After a few days, a poll of mets on the American Weather Forum shows 15 meteorologists who do not find JB to be a credible met (in addition to 4 pro forecasters), and 2 meteorologists that do. Including the general population of AmWx, almost 3/4 of those who voted do not support JB.

Please consider this information when looking at and discussing JB's forecasts.

And from an outside perspective, we have all seen the same pro meteorologists degrading others have catastrophic forecast failures over and over again themselves. It's pretty tough to call out the credibility of ones forecasts when those questioning have certainly had their fair share of failed forecasting.

And from an outside perspective, we have all seen the same pro meteorologists degrading others have catastrophic forecast failures over and over again themselves. It's pretty tough to call out the credibility of ones forecasts when those questioning have certainly had their fair share of failed forecasting.

Please clarify, preferably with names. It's not clear to me who you're calling out as the hypocrites who fail at forecasting but call out others for their forecast failures.

Please clarify, preferably with names. It's not clear to me who you're calling out as the hypocrites who fail at forecasting but call out others for their forecast failures.

The poll that you pointed to, and your posts which clarifies just how many mets discredit another met.

I don't think that it is really necessary to go through each and every met on this board and their flops. It's a pointless endeavor, and the real point is that many of those who browse this forum prefer not to read these grade-school like polls and posts. If you don't like another met for one reason or another, that is fine also. But if they are providing their reasoning on why they forecast the way that they do, there is zero reason for the attacks on those individuals.

The poll that you pointed to, and your posts which clarifies just how many mets discredit another met.

I don't think that it is really necessary to go through each and every met on this board and their flops.

There's a difference between making a realistic forecast and failing vs always going for the extreme solutions and failing (especially since the latter option occurs much more frequently). Success as a forecaster is not about always getting it right, because that would be impossible. It's about being as accurate as you can and trying your best not to fail. By almost always going for the extreme solutions, Bastardi sets himself up to fail (and sometimes does so quite spectacularly) much more so than the more credible mets.

I wonder how much input jb has over at weatherbell. I mean i follow dr maue on twitter and he seems like he knows his stuff. Then you get Jb and its a total lolz on some of his thoughts.

Maue's pretty reasonable unless he starts talking about climate change or politics. In those aspects he and JB are usually in the same boat. Also, heaven forbid you criticize his maps :P

Maue also has a penchant for cold and tropics. Quickly glancing through his recent tweets, there's a bunch of stuff about the cold up north in Alaska, but just a quick post or two about the record warmth some of the CONUS is experiencing. He's had a consistent bias in talking up the cold.

EDIT: Looking back further, Maue's posts seem fairly balanced nowadays.

Maue's pretty reasonable unless he starts talking about climate change or politics. In those aspects he and JB are usually in the same boat. Also, heaven forbid you criticize his maps :P

Are his model snow maps less sucky than they used to be?

I assume he made the weatherbell model page? If so, not bad at all on some of the graphics. I would pay for weatherbell for the models. Maybe they would give me a discount if they could give me the models joe d and ryan and leave out jb.

From what I've seen, Maue's 100% of the reason why WeatherBell now has their model graphics. There was a thread started in the Weather Marketplace sub-forum about their models page:

I assume he made the weatherbell model page? If so, not bad at all on some of the graphics. I would pay for weatherbell for the models. Maybe they would give me a discount if they could give me the models joe d and ryan and leave out jb.

Some of the graphics out there look pretty sharp, I agree...I wasn't sure if the snow maps had improved because they were pretty weenieish at one point.

Archived