joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central/Western Summer Medium/Long Range Discussions

Srain

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blame Timmer if the season sucks. What's he going to do with his 130k if there are no tornadoes?

They'll do what they did last year. Last year there were probably only 3 or so episodes of tornado content and the rest was filler content. 

Watching the ens means at the end of the run the last few days the good news might still be the pattern wants to shift a bit after the cutoff. It's not great but it might be better at least. Or it could be totally wrong given its like 15 days off. Might still be some surprises too who knows.

Watching the ens means at the end of the run the last few days the good news might still be the pattern wants to shift a bit after the cutoff. It's not great but it might be better at least. Or it could be totally wrong given its like 15 days off. Might still be some surprises too who knows.

Yeah I'm optimistic things change somewhat maybe around May 8th-10th and the ens means have hinted it as well as the end of the GFS op runs even though not much point in looking that far out.

Who knows, leaving May 10th could end up working out.

I'd love to share in any form of optimism, but every GFS image I look at today, operational or ensemble, shows eastern troughing (or even a cut-off) a major factor for the next 15 days. Personally, I'm still waiting on the very first glimmer of hope.

You're biased by wanting something good. I'm just looking for more than 5kts wind shear and 50F+ dew points.

since our long range guru became the latest to throw 2009 out there as an analog this summer i pulled the "stats" for our chase period. :-/   and 2004 for fun.  (rough mock-ups based off something else im working on--maps have time constraints -- basically daytime plus a little after sunset).

post-1615-0-99247900-1366990054_thumb.gi

post-1615-0-41284400-1366990068_thumb.gi

early may is going to be horrid any way you cut it based on the gfs/euro.. but still think there are signs the pattern shifts after. looking back on older events as long as you can get the EC trough up into like New England you can still get some good stuff.

Actually, the foreign guidance is suggesting a potentially decent looking pattern with a large western trough setting up in the Pacific NW once the closed low lifts out of the central CONUS. The GFS remains on the "chaser conundrum" side (with the western troughing less aggressive), but to be frank I'd rather have the non-truncated guidance at least somewhat on board.

(Grasping at straws? Probably)

Hr. 384 is 5 days away from our departure day... Get a grip man! :lol:

This is just typical pre-chasecation Ian. He'll recover by the time we're ready to hit the road :) 3 weeks!

I like what I'm seeing with the MJO progression heading into mid-May... if we can get some good MJO influence it could certainly help change up this weak tornado season we've seen so far. Lots of the other signals going fairly neutral in the medium/long range...

Eastern Iowa, South of I-80 could be a sleeper play tomorrow along the warm front, High bust potential here, but that's what it's all about in this business. Strong cap in place, but if they can warm up nicely there is a slight chance the cap could go with some surface based storms...Instability is probably a tad overdone.

Archived