Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
zwyts 2013 Summer Outlook

Deck Pic

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The signal is really strong for a minus July and our norm is ludicrously high...but persistence laughs in my face

I've seen a few folks throw around 2009. No clue on 1923.  

This summer has some potential to be much closer to average and I like your forecast. It really is tough to go minus though. DC has a habit of having higher lows nowadays. At least it seems that way to me. I don't have any data. 

I'll go out on a limb and say May is going to be -1 to -2. Persistence with the teleconnections appears to be in play. HL blocking is coming back. I know it doesn't mean nearly as much in May as it does during the winter but it can easily keep the se ridge at bay. 

This summer has some potential to be much closer to average and I like your forecast. It really is tough to go minus though. DC has a habit of having higher lows nowadays. At least it seems that way to me. I don't have any data. 

I'll go out on a limb and say May is going to be -1 to -2. Persistence with the teleconnections appears to be in play. HL blocking is coming back. I know it doesn't mean nearly as much in May as it does during the winter but it can easily keep the se ridge at bay. 

agreed....I like -1

I'll be doing a separate one for CWG, but felt like doing a personal one this summer

June: +1 to +2

July: -2

August: +1

Overall: Normal to +1

Analogs: 1923, 2009

Thanks for your thoughts. Are you thinking an El Niño is on the way?

thanks and yes....euro has already sniffed it out, plus hard to get a cold episode for so long...at least I hope we get one...a neutral down here would be awful

Limited historical data but it would be awful tough to go Nina or even cold neutral. At least from a historical perspective. 

Warm neutral or weak/mod Nino would be a fair wag. I highly doubt we get a strong Nino and that is fine because they can suck. Gun to head guess is weak Nino +1.0 - 1.2ish. 

Limited historical data but it would be awful tough to go Nina or even cold neutral. At least from a historical perspective. 

Warm neutral or weak/mod Nino would be a fair wag. I highly doubt we get a strong Nino and that is fine because they can suck. Gun to head guess is weak Nino +1.0 - 1.2ish. 

sometimes...I'd roll the dice....I want nino to be as strong as possible...I'd sign up right now for a tri-monthly of +1.9 - 2.2

sometimes...I'd roll the dice....I want nino to be as strong as possible...I'd sign up right now for a tri-monthly of +1.9 - 2.2

And ANOTHER year of anomalous HL blocking to go along with it. Plows trucks will need plow trucks to help get unstuck. haha. We DESERVE it. It's ours this year for cripes sakes. 

I will say this, we will have a record long range winter outlook thread starting in June if the Nino becomes more clear. 

For his chase he needs a ridge in the east which would give us warmer than normal temps.  A trough in the east would damp his chances at spotting a tornado.  He wants a trough in the west and a roaring low level jet

thanks...maybe he is going late enough that we are ridging by that time..June should be hot

For his chase he needs a ridge in the east which would give us warmer than normal temps.  A trough in the east would damp his chances at spotting a tornado.  He wants a trough in the west and a roaring low level jet

He never prays for us in the winter, so i am unable to pray for anything more than spotty showers for him.

thanks and yes....euro has already sniffed it out, plus hard to get a cold episode for so long...at least I hope we get one...a neutral down here would be awful

Should El Niño chances begin to dwindle over time, what analog set would you then favor?

Should El Niño chances begin to dwindle over time, what analog set would you then favor?

good question...haven't really examined yet.....maybe a 45-46/01-02 combo/hedge?...smoothing the outlier tendencies of both....

something frontloaded assuming you don't get the nasty vortex in AK like December 2001

Cold december like 1945 without the K/U?

so maybe

+2

+2

10"

What do you think?

good question...haven't really examined yet.....maybe a 45-46/01-02 combo/hedge?...smoothing the outlier tendencies of both....

something frontloaded assuming you don't get the nasty vortex in AK like December 2001

so maybe

+2

+2

10"

What do you think?

Without a Nino I sure would keep the snow below average for DCA again next year.  I don't have any clue how the months would break down.  Your last season call was pretty spectacular in that regard. 

He never prays for us in the winter, so i am unable to pray for anything more than spotty showers for him.

I never root against snow I just mainly want a big one.. Or more than 1.5" at least. Next winter is the winter.

Our dates are solid climo wise.. That period produces every year unless something horrible happens. Kinda wonder if June will be better than May in the Plains but with the drought June could also shut off hard.

Without a Nino I sure would keep the snow below average for DCA again next year.  I don't have any clue how the months would break down.  Your last season call was pretty spectacular in that regard. 

thanks...I think we  have an advantage in December if we wait until November to release it.....the other months are harder, but sometimes there is a strong signal

I think paying a bit more attention to the other side of the globe late fall/early winter would be smart too. That early winter siberian blocking high is starting to become a bit predictable and consistent. It's been showing up a lot since 07 or so and it's been locking the coldest air in the NH on the other side more often than not.

If it sets up again then we are back to relying on a big -ao again just to be "cold enough". Even a big -ao can be trumped by a crappy pac as we had the pleasure of experiencing last December. 

so maybe

+2

+2

10"

What do you think?

I'm sorry; I didn't mean to have you speculate next winter. I was just curious how a more neutral picture would change your summer thoughts, if at all. Given the stuff that Sam has been posting about the QBO and what historically happens in DC during these type of ENSO winters, I too would lean warmish/below normal snowfall. I'm not sure and couldn't really guess yet if things would be front or back-loaded.

I'm currently against an El Niño but admit that my confidence is low. For the last 2 months, the warm pool has been consolidating and moving west into Indonesia. The southern Indian Ocean has also done the same thing it has for the last couple of years, piling water into the NW IO and western Australia. All of this, combined with the -PDO is preventing an appreciable warming over 3.4 for the time being.

We are like we were in September to some extent with the positioning of oceanic features and consolidating western Pac warm pool. Not long after, we saw a significant downwelling KW. It is possible that we get the MJO to kick up next month as the final warming in the stratosphere begins to affect things. Perhaps it will combine with the +QBO and somewhat stealthy equatorial counter current to do the trick. But my money is that this all fails in delivering a true El Niño...gulp.  

I'm no zwyts but I would toss in 90-91 or 01-02. Maybe 81-82.

If it's another neutral year I don't think any long range calls will have an easy time verifying.

Yep. Another annoying cold season if things stay neutral. Even if we get an El Niño, it's not quite a slam dunk either.  

I agree with everything you said.

Archived