wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
OBS ONLY: Snow/rain/slopfest Tuesday 11/27/2012

famartin

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike DeFino is actually a great meteorologist. He provides consistently updated detailed analysis every time there is a winter storm. Sure, his map looks a little amateur, but take a minute to read his blogs. They are plenty full of information.

I'm not saying Mike is definitely one of these (I haven't read his blog), but I've noticed plenty of mets who are really smart, know their stuff (probably better than I do), but let their mind wander too much into the "what if's" instead of concentrating on the "most likely". Just an observation. A good FORECAST met (and that emphasis is intended) is one who doesn't wish-cast or get carried away in possible scenarios, one who hones in on the most likely scenario. Because that's what the average customer wants: A forecast, not a wish-cast or fantasy-cast or a lot of "what ifs".

Mike DeFino is actually a great meteorologist. He provides consistently updated detailed analysis every time there is a winter storm. Sure, his map looks a little amateur, but take a minute to read his blogs. They are plenty full of information.

Meh. I gather my own information and do my own analyses... no reason for me to read his.

I'm not saying Mike is definitely one of these (I haven't read his blog), but I've noticed plenty of mets who are really smart, know their stuff (probably better than I do), but let their mind wander too much into the "what if's" instead of concentrating on the "most likely". Just an observation. A good FORECAST met (and that emphasis is intended) is one who doesn't wish-cast or get carried away in possible scenarios, one who hones in on the most likely scenario. Because that's what the average customer wants: A forecast, not a wish-cast or fantasy-cast or a lot of "what ifs".

Thank you.

thats not the issue right now imho...this is... if precip were falling right now with these temps it wouldnt be snow it would be prob freezing rain.

925mb.gif?1353978931618

Agreed. If the 900mb layer is still above freezing, the surface doesn't mean much. We need the entire 850-sfc layer to fall to freezing.

Archived